Home General Discussion

17" Cintiq Wannabe for < £700

Fordy
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Fordy polycounter lvl 18
Hi Folks

I noticed that some of you have been looking for Cintique's recently and I just noticed this in this months Painter magazine - http://www.xernon.co.uk/products/xpc1700b.html

It looks pretty good, especially for the price.

Replies

• aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    interesting. I wonder how the reviews are for it.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    who wants to be the first to get one and let us all know?
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    Depends, are you paying for it?
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    might be good but that website is very very bad
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Exactly what I was thinking! 'Someone gives these guys a decent website with some kind of fancy flash intro, teach them how to display prices in real-world curency and this might become a serious Wacom contender... That might help making the REAL Cintiqs cheaper!'
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    [ QUOTE ]
    who wants to be the first to get one and let us all know?

[/ QUOTE ]

paypal donation to a polycount bigwig of around 10 buck each person to recce the goods would tell you pretty quick how it stacks up. crazy.gif
  • Fordy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fordy polycounter lvl 18
    Don't forget, if anyone buys one in the UK over the net, you are covered by the distance selling regulations. So, if you don't like it, let them know within 7 days and you are legally entitled to send it back, no reason required. If you ask, they are also obliged to refund the return postage too.

I know, I work for an online company smile.gif
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    teach them how to display prices in real-world curency

[/ QUOTE ]

Hehe, no love for the pound pior? wink.gif

This sounds like it could potentially be a great thing. After all, a 17" TFT is dirt cheap, and tablet tech isn't super pricey either unless you want Wacom quality. Theoretically it should be completely feasible to have something this cheap also be quite good.

Realistically, it's probably to Cintiq as Aiptek Hyperpen is to Intuos. Nice in theory, a waste of money in practice. Would like to see reviews though. Maybe ask the DW guys to throw in a free one for 4th place 2d. :P
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, ideally we do want Wacom Quality though, dfacto. I don't know if that's expensive, as I imagine producing tablets only got cheaper for Wacom over the years (which isn't reflected in the price, ofcourse!), but I'm all for decent alternatives! My guess is Wacom is selling their tablets way above construction-price, and they could stand to knock a few quid off to combat any competition.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Hopefully it is actually half decent to compete against Wacom, but a really nice price in comparison.

-caseyjones
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    I don't know.. for $999 u can get the 12 inch Wacom, the 17 inch one above is $1417.75 for a 17 incher, or the Wacom 21 incher for a grand more then the xernon one... Not sure 1400 is still pretty high for me without having the wacom name behind it.
  • neolith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neolith polycounter lvl 18
    WTF is up with the colors for the german flag on that site? Black/white/red stripes haven't been used for more than 70 years. smile.gif
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    I heard you can't draw a strait line with a cintiq and it's not worth the money. Anyone who have one have issues?