Home General Discussion

An idea for a new sub-forum; please post input

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
bearkub polycounter lvl 18
Hey gang, I have an idea I wanted to run by you folks first before I did anything or made any changes. This is just a passing idea I have had a few times in the past after visiting conceptart.org.

I know over there they have the "Sketchbook" subforum with thread of users sketchbooks and daily little doodles and progress. Does anyone think this would work over here? Here is the general idea of what I am thinking:

<ul type="square"> [*]Each person who wants to do a sketchbook gets *ONE THREAD* to update (preferably) daily, weekly.
[*]This will all be contained in it's own subforum; not in P&P or any of that so that you can scroll, find the user you are looking for, read the thread.
[*]Set up some guidelines to keep the threads semi-clean and keep them on topic.
[/list]

As I said, this is still a thought which is why I wanted to run it by you folks first since a lot of my "good ideas" in my head turn into "wtf was I thinking?..." after I have discussed them with others. ;D

Please, post in this thread with any comments, ideas, etc. I'd be glad to hear them. You can also send me an email at bearkub3ATcomcastDOTnet or send me a PM through the boards.

P.S. Saying "this is really not a good idea" or "umm...this sounds kinda dumb" is perfectly acceptable. I want honest input, please.

Replies

• arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    i think its a great idea, they do this over at tweak and its a nice way to check out a particular individuals work.
  • j_bradford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    j_bradford polycounter lvl 17
    Good idea! It would be a nice compliment to the "what are you working on" thread which has proven to be very popular. I second arshlevon's point, too. 3D sketchbooks are very popular at tweak.
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    I've been wondering if a 'sketchbook' style subforum would work for game artists for a while! If it works well, maybe it'll spread over to the other boards
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    This would be cool.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Would be awesome, yeah. For either 2d or 3d, waywo and sketch thread are our most popular threads.
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK, from the few responses here plus some of the guys on IRC, I think I am going to go ahead and set it up. PLEASE PLEASE continue using this thread for any ideas to enhance it, add rules, etc. Thanks guys!
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Sounds like it could be cool, however I just want to put in that it may be worth putting it up as "beta" or something, just see how much it's actually used. Honestly, I prefer to have everything in one "P&P" section so I don't have to look through multiple forums, it just gets to be annoying after a while. If it goes up and there is minimal participation may be best to just keep it all to P&P?

Just my thoughts, it does sound like a good idea if it's used enough though.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    Sounds like a good idea to me, I'd use it.
  • cochtl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cochtl polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    dumb

[/ QUOTE ]

no, YOU"RE dumb :3

It's a great idea smile.gif
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The forum is up and ready. Have at it, gang. smile.gif
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    THE FORUM LOOKS DIFFERENT!! I DONT LIKE CHANNNGE!

im betting it wont catch on :/
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Q: Is it for quick 2D/3D sketches or can you use it as a personal WIP thread or would you rather see people post "finished" stuff.
    Q: should someone edit their original post and put the new stuff on top or do you want them to create new posts in with the comments?
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A1: Personal WIP, for sure. Just like a regular pen & paper sketchbook. Finished stuff should be saved for the P&P forum.

A2: Create new posts, definitely. Again, this is a sketchbook, not a "final projects" thing.

I posted some of this in the rules thread, but good questions Vig. ;D
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    So just out of curiosity, should we refrain from posting critiques and stuff in other people's threads so that it is kept as a clean and clear record, or is it more of anything goes?
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    this is polycount... denying feedback/crits would be foolish. I'll be making a thread and really hope to get some feedback on my progression and what I need to work on, and will provide feedback for others.
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Never refrain from helping someone out. ;D

We talked a lot on #model_design about that. Feel free to give feedback, just try to keep it on a more general level as to an overall improvement. For example, instead of giving a paintover and 20 different images of an arm to point out the problems in one piece's arm, use something a little more general like "you could really use some time looking at anatomy, specifically how the arm attaches to the body."

Of course, this is just my idea. We won't delete and c&c, by any means. We could just leave it up the thread author. They can decide whether they want C&C in it.

What do you guys say?
  • kary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kary polycounter lvl 18
    "2. Do not post detailed crits on these threads and do not expect detailed crits on these threads. It's fine to post a "keep up the good work" or "you should flesh xxx out in this part" If you need detailed crits on a single piece of work, please continue to use P&P. These threads, as stated, are just like a digital sketchbook. Keep working, keep posting, monitor your progress. "

I'd prefer the reverse, asspats are all well and good, but (for those of us who really could use the critque) that would be an odd limit.

Even for an elite artist getting feedback at the sketch stage would be valuable. Then, once something is a concrete idea with some assets down, shift it out to P&P.

Sketchbook threads are usually pretty useful, very interesting to watch the evolution of someone's art if nothing else.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    I vote leave it up to the author, but dont mention anything about crits in the official rules.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg, its more of a "journal" so you can keep your stuff in one place so people don't have to track down someones work. It is up to the person, if they want detailed crits they'll post it in P&P. I like the idea of keeping the number of text replies to a min. It will make digging through someones thread much more enjoyable if we don't have to slog through pages of flame wars about techniques or page after page of fluffy comments.

It's a catalog of progress not really a plea for improvement, or a statement of finality.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    I dont think there's any set definition out there for how a sketchbook has to be run. I used to have a sketchbook up on conceptart.org for a while, and got a ton of help from people there in the form of crits on my progress. A sketchbook is a great place to get crits, because it gives people and yourself the chance to really see what you're developing and neglecting. I don't see a point in mandating a crit rule for the forum... if someone wants crits, they should be able to get them. If you'd rather just chronicle your work, say so in your thread, and you'll get your wish.

If/when I make a thread in there, it will be to develop myself as an artist, not to just show off my work. That's what my portfolio is for.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    True, its not a personal gallery, its a sketchbook/WIP thread. The whole point of a sketchbook is to help yourself improve and try out ideas. I'm all for critiques that help but I also don't want to wade through pages of text while I try and get a sense of what an artist has done.

I guess P&P kind of becomes less important for WIP and more of a graveyard of finished work? Which is what the title kind of implies. It's kind of morphed into critique central out of necessity.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    im all in for it since i really want to improve my drawings.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    well i got me a sketchbook now smile.gif
    http://boards.polycount.net/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=276181

good idea kub
    i also edited just a few posts to help make sure people keep the thread naming convention standardized while it's early yet. reading through the thread names is a nightmare on CA
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK, I have kinda got things to a good point so I am gonna leave 'em for a bit. Please, still pass me pm's or more ideas in this thread and I will do what I can to get to them.
  • kary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kary polycounter lvl 18
    Maybe part of Vig's concern (about wading through pages of comments) would be addressed by putting the date in the title (like at Tweak).

Sketchbook - Name - Date it was last updated
    EG: Sketchbook Kary: Feb 25, 2008

With that you have a sense of the last time art was added, if the new posts are after the date in the title you'd have no reason to look in, as it's just comments.
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saidin311 polycounter lvl 11
    I just have a clarification question, these user threads can be for any work they are doing right? Including 3d?

My 2d work isn't the greatest, I keep a sketchbook for layouts and doodles but really its not something I'm gonna be showing off front and center.

But my mind is always racing with new ideas to model and I just want to make sure we can post 3d WIPS and ideas etc in those threads.

Edit: Duh, didn't see the forum was already created with rules and everything. Thanks!
  • greenj2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool idea 'Kub, I digs it! smile.gif