Home General Discussion

Silo in Linux? woo!

Replies

• notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    "We still can't talk about much of what we're working on, unfortunately, but I can let you in on one area where we've made a lot of recent progress: Linux."

Unfortunately? wink.gif I think/hope that's a mistype. Cool news. I'm not a big fan of Blender and I haven't tried getting Maya for linux yet. Maybe I'll give silo a shot instead. To be honest, I've never used it. Hopefully it's not as buggy as some of those replies made it sound.

Any download links for it yet? It didn't appear to be available yet.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What's wrong with it, notman? It's referring to the the fact they can't reveal much of what they're working on.
    If supporting Linux (after the groundwork that they're doing now, ofcourse) is an easy straightforward affair then I'm all for it. Silo has been developing very slowly the past months, and I'd hate to see it slow down further. Nevertheless, Nevercenter never (heh) expressed a huge interest in porting it to Linux, so I take it this means it's relatively easy for them to be entirely cross-platform, which is ofcourse a huge feat. I think a lot of us would like to at least *dabble in Linux, and our software being ported will facilitate that, even making it possible to consider switching fulltime for our personal stuff. Don't get me wrong though, I'm not saying that I think now is the moment, but nevertheless it's nice for those who are already running Linux.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I want every app and every game I use to run on Linux natively, not software emulated crap. When that happens, I'll switch over smile.gif
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you misunderstood me MightyPea... or I'm misunderstanding you. I'm all for this. I love the idea. As I mentioned in the Vista thread, I'm running Ubuntu full time on my laptop, so I want more goodies wink.gif
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I might've, yeah smile.gif
    I was asking why you thought they didn't mean 'unfortunately'?

And what do you use in Ubuntu? Do you ever use Wine to run Photoshop or anything?
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you asked me that in the Vista thread wink.gif
    I don't use anything in Ubuntu right now. I haven't been able to get any modeling work done since I installed Ubuntu. The reason has been mostly my schedule. I haven't had time to try installing any software. I do know people have gotten photoshop to work via WINE. I have been trying to get use to gimp instead though.
    I have gotten programs to install and work with WINE, I just haven't tried 3ds Max or photoshop.
    I have tried Blender, but didn't really care for it. I was going to try it again until you referenced Maya had a linux version, which I wasn't aware of, so I'll probably give it a shot. I've used Maya in the past, but just preferred 3ds.
  • Kraftwerk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kraftwerk polycounter lvl 19
    Wow thats some cool news, atm i dont own Silo but a native and well running Linux port ? Deal !
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Google put some money towards getting PS cs2 and 3 to run better in WINE recently, so that's pretty cool as well. Still, it's far from ideal obviously.