Home General Discussion

Screencast.com: anyone use it?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
bearkub polycounter lvl 18
I was reading some posts on the Silo message boards and happened across a video posted using this site: http://www.screencast.com

The video it had was REALLY crisp and appeared to be a desktop capture. Was wondering if anyone had seen/used it before?

http://www.screencast.com/users/TorgeirHolm/folders/Jing/media/5a504bb2-d5e7-4993-bf44-3134905b2d88
This is the video I was watching (disregard the content of the video, it was just showing a "bug" in Silo..).

Replies

• Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    I've actually been watching a bunch of videos using that (that I can't post here because it's work related...) but was curious about it as well, it seems pretty bad ass
  • adamlewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whoa, I just checked it out. It's pretty intuitive to capture with and the image quality is insane. I don't know how practical it would be for a big video tutorial, but if you just wanted to show a friend something real quick it seems like a perfect way to do it.

*edit

Removed link since my bandwidth was exceeded.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The catch seems to be that it costs money, though.
  • adamlewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah their hosting is pretty lousy. My little video I put up already exceeded their 1 gigabyte transfer limit. The software is still quite cool though.
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    holy crap, are you kidding? that video is already over limit? Yike. That does change things. Still, considering that those are holding a lot of the original quality in the video, I can also see how you could burn through bandwidth quick.
  • adamlewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bandwidth goes surprisingly fast. 25 meg video x 40 views = 1 gig bandwidth. It's not that big a deal if you've got a decent webserver (my modest hosting package has 6 terabytes of bandwidth), because you can use the FTP function and it will upload the video in a nice self-contained .swf file onto your site. As I said before though this is probably something you would only want to use if you were going to share a relatively small video with a limited group of people.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's the TechSmith codec, been around a long time. Codec is free, encoder isn't. Windows Media Player has its own free version, not quite as good, but close.