Home Technical Talk

Glowmaps?

hi

For my dm3 entrance, i want to use some glowing particles and effects. I looked for information about glowmaps but without succes. (im using max8)

can anyone help me out?

thanks.

Replies

• Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Not sure there's a way to preview them inside of max, outside of using something like ShaderFX to whip up a DXshader.
    You can preview them in Xnormal though, with no prob. I used them on my light sconce:

sconce5.jpg
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    they can be previewed in max easily.

Just drop your illumination map into the self-illumination slot. Turn on display material as dx shader and there you go smile.gif
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Every time I've tried that, it just comes out looking washing out though. Not really "glowy".
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i tried doing jesse's way but i too cannot get it to work properly

besides rendering it in an engine, there is no way to do it within max?
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    The problem with just clicking display as dx material in max is yes it does make the model self-illuminate but it doesnt alter the frame buffer at all which is what gives the 'bloomy' effect. You're going to have to use ShaderFX if you want to see this in max or you can duplicate your mesh and use the .fx shader that comes with max called Hammertime.fx This is a shader that just uses a glow texture and masks everything else out which is why you'd have to dupe your mesh.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    yeah i didn't mention my method isn't really the "best" way to view them.

Like jordan said it doesn't give the nice bloomy feel.
  • CrazyButcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    You're going to have to use ShaderFX if you want to see this in max or you can ... Hammertime.fx

[/ QUOTE ]

or you can edit the Hammertime.fx shader so that duplicating isnt needed. Not to rain on ShaderFX's parade, but it's just a nice editor for .fx files inside max. It doesnt mean its the only way to create a .fx file or such shaders in total.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not everyone knows how to edit a raw shader script though, butcher smile.gif
    ShaderFX not only allows us to *easily* create the shaders, but also sets up the viewport settings as well which is nice.
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    lol crazybutcher you seem to downplay the enormous benefit of easily being able to edit .fx files with a 'nice' editor that's artist friendly.
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I downlaoded the demo of ShaderFX, but i still have to install a some file before it works properly.

i also tried those fx.files, but my objects turnout gray.. something in my render settings that i overlooked?
  • CrazyButcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
    no I am not downplaying it, (although my "just" seemed to have created that impression), I love the idea of node driven editors. I just wanted to point out "free" alternatives. (MentalMill is also nodebased). Granted that if you want to do shaders for 3dsmax and such without some more .fx knowledge, ShaderFX is the tool to get.