Home General Discussion

Plagiarism

Hello Friends.

This is the first thread I've started. I'm a long time observer of this forum. If you notice anything about my past posts, I only post when I feel there is something I can contribute an opinion to. My post are few and far between and to the point. So, as I am in the nature of getting to the point, let me begin my first thread with a topic that has recently bugged me.

Plagiarism = the practice of claiming or implying original authorship of someone else written or "creative" work.

How does this translate into the gaming industry? Is this definition or any definition of plagiarism exclusive from the industry? By law original work that changes by 30 percent is considered legal.(unconfirmed)

Let that serve as the premise of this thread.

Day 1 Studios -FRACTURE- (published by Lucas Arts) http://www.lucasarts.com/games/fracture/

This game looks good, and looks fun and will most likely sell well. But, is FRACTURE in danger of Plagiarism? The core game play seems original. However, its game mechanics are not what i am talking about. Specifically, I am comparing Fracture's "main character" to Gears of Wars Marcus Phoenix. Even more specific, I am comparing the armor attire between the 2 characters. Does Fracture's main character look like one of Simon Phoenix's "entourage"??? (for lack of a better word).

All my career I've been encouraged to drive my understanding of game art from the observation and playing of other games. For example: How did they create this, how did they generate that etc. With art I think keeping your observations to techniques and process ultimately sharpens your own skills. But, i don't feel it is right to mimic the "exact" style of other games or mirror work to remind you of the original. So, is FRACTURE doing this? It's hard to tell honestly.

It's probably a grey area and too small of a similarity to care about but its up for discussion, thus the relevant of this thread.

In closing I have three questions.

1. Is Plagiarism relevant with our industry?

2. Where is the line ultimately drawn?

3. Is FRACTURE crossing that line?

What say you?

Thank you all. I am looking forward to reading your opinions.

Replies

• Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    That was quite a bit of reading that boils down to a pretty small point. Basically, I think the answer is that both characters are entirely generic, unoriginal, and derivative. They both look like your average "sci fi soldier."
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Hehe yeah, talk about being to the point :P Where is the comparison pic?

[edit] Never mind, googled it, I don't see what you are talking about. Judging from your post I was expecting borrowed visual elements like the pirate kerchief or the specific shapes on the torso armor, but I don't see any of that in Fracture.
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    1: yes?

2: www.copyright.gov? at least for the U.S.

3: not in my opinion. you dont think you can copyright an idea, only physical materials. Some amount of influence-bleed within a medium is expected. Plagerism or copyright infringement would be physically stealing the texture from GOW, or words from a book, or snippets/samples of a song--it takes a bit more than being derivative or just having a suit design that it came from the same concept designers.
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    Are you talking about Marcus Fenix?

I don't think the Fracture character is all that similar, just somewhat uninspired and generic. I liked Marcus's design, the armor/boots/etc were nicely done.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't remember there being a Simon Phoenix in Gears of War. Unless you're referring to Marcus Fenix.
    In any case, the main character from Fracture (based off the 5 screenshots I just looked at on the website), look nothing like a character from Gears of War. Too colourful, nowhere near as bulky, different armour style, the character looks like a rookie (clean face, no scars, no stubble).
    I'm struggling to see this alleged "plagiarism". I take it that Fracture is a third person game like Gears of War? That's where you're making this connection? Well, what's to say that Epic didn't steal that from Resident Evil 4, or from whatever game that was stolen from?

But to answer your questions:
    1 - Yes, but in terms of 'plagiarizing' game assets (texture sets, models). Game ideas/mechanics are copied all the time. Look at how many WWII FPS games are out there and barely any of them bring anything new to the dinner table. Just eating the same plate of shit, time and time again.
    2 - When an individual(s), uses another individual's work and passes it off as their own without their consent.
    3 - No.

My $0.02

-caseyjones
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Its a bit more similar to the armour that the protagonist from Unreal Tournament 3 wears, although not to the degree that there'd be any call for legal proceedings.

They're all derivations of derivations of derivations anyway... is derivation a word?
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    wow. not similar at all [as far as sci-fi marines go].

dissimilar enough that this could be some new viral marketing to get us talking about the game?
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    weelll it's an entirely different perspective, but i often feel that if you're going to make stereotyped characters in the first place, and put them in stupid fucking archetypal conflicts with retarded plots with little to no meaning, then worrying about plagiarism is like blaming the guy next to you in the apple-bobbing contest for copying what you come up with, so to speak.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    Hello Friends.

This is the first thread I've started. I'm a long time observer of this forum. If you notice anything about my past posts, I only post when I feel there is something I can contribute an opinion to. My post are few and far between and to the point. So, as I am in the nature of getting to the point, let me begin my first thread with a topic that has recently bugged me.

Plagiarism = the practice of claiming or implying original authorship of someone else written or "creative" work.

How does this translate into the gaming industry? Is this definition or any definition of plagiarism exclusive from the industry? By law original work that changes by 30 percent is considered legal.(unconfirmed)

Let that serve as the premise of this thread.

Day 1 Studios -FRACTURE- (published by Lucas Arts) http://www.lucasarts.com/games/fracture/

This game looks good, and looks fun and will most likely sell well. But, is FRACTURE in danger of Plagiarism? The core game play seems original. However, its game mechanics are not what i am talking about. Specifically, I am comparing Fracture's "main character" to Gears of Wars Marcus Phoenix. Even more specific, I am comparing the armor attire between the 2 characters. Does Fracture's main character look like one of Simon Phoenix's "entourage"??? (for lack of a better word).

All my career I've been encouraged to drive my understanding of game art from the observation and playing of other games. For example: How did they create this, how did they generate that etc. With art I think keeping your observations to techniques and process ultimately sharpens your own skills. But, i don't feel it is right to mimic the "exact" style of other games or mirror work to remind you of the original. So, is FRACTURE doing this? It's hard to tell honestly.

It's probably a grey area and too small of a similarity to care about but its up for discussion, thus the relevant of this thread.

In closing I have three questions.

1. Is Plagiarism relevant with our industry?

2. Where is the line ultimately drawn?

3. Is FRACTURE crossing that line?

What say you?

Thank you all. I am looking forward to reading your opinions.

[/ QUOTE ]

your argument is totally void without any form of comparison images. We are not telepathic.

You must begin to understand that nothing is original, everything comes from somewhere. Once you understand this you will be at harmony. It is the unfortunate way we are taught in school, not to copy, that breeds this closed minded viewpoint. Copying is good for you, it helps you learn and make things better.

My immediate answer would be no it's not plagiarism, unless they somehow got the original models and slapped them in another game without permission. If you watch the videos, the two characters look almost nothing alike, so your argument IS void.

Maybe an appointment at the opticians is in order?
  • I_luv_Pixels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I_luv_Pixels polycounter lvl 17
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Looks a bit similar to Fenix Wright... he was in GoW wasn't he?
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    if developers were worried about being sued for, or even pulled up on, for lifting the style and look of other characters/environments, someone would have pulled the plug on Warcraft a long time ago
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, if only I could come up with a clever reference to GoW using the word 'OBJECTION!', my life would be complete.

Also, I agree that they're both standard fare Sci-fi material, but not too similar to each other inside of that limited universe. From the few screenshots I've seen, he reminds me much more of the main character from Outcast!
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    simon phoenix was wesley snipes from demolition man if I am not mistaken
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    This thread feels like work :/
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    Yea, would have been nice if the OP had posted some images to attempt to back up his argument. I'm not about to take the time to go searching around the internet to find pics of the characters for comparison's sake.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I see the similarities, but Lucas Arts isn't claiming original authorship of generic spacemarine stereotype wearing impractical 400 lb. anti-gravity glowing space armor. Epic doesn't claim it either, but they've perfected it. So much that, a team of inspired artists, working on a similar state-of-the-art game engine, under a team of profit hunting management and marketing, would no doubt create many simularities. It sells.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Well the game style seems similar but the characters are totally different visually. I have not played Fracture so I can't comment on the gameplay. If Fracture is too similar to Gears of War it won't sell well, at least that's what I have noticed in the past. Plagiarism is something developers take note of especially during the hiring process.

Alex
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I didn't have time to read all that, and I don't have time to go searching for images to try and understand what you see.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    simon phoenix was wesley snipes from demolition man if I am not mistaken

[/ QUOTE ]

didn't wesley snipes also star in tekken?
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    "But I tell you who hear me: Love your rival companies, do good to those who plagiarize you, bless those who call you a n00b, pray for per128. If someone takes your Marcus Fenix, give to him Dominic Santiago also. If someone takes your Space Marines, do not stop him from taking your Mutants. Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. Do to others as you would have them do to you."
    —Luke 6:27-31

Couldn't resist.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    yeah, there's an overwhelming scent of troll in here.
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    spot on SupRore.
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    Completely different characters, no borrowed elements from Marcus Fenix whatsoever. Aside from the obvious "guy with gun and armor". I see no point in even discussing this.

On a side note, Simon Phoenix would destroy them all:

simonphoenix.jpg
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    This thread feels like work :/

[/ QUOTE ]

plagerism- saddly so for most.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
  • PeterK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    Considering the fact that I've been working on fracture for about 6 months now (via Exis Inc - Contractors), I can tell you a few small things.

1 - The characters were designed by Josh Nizzi, and you can see them on his website. He's an awesome artist and he does not need to copy anybody.

2 - Fracture is a great project and the team behind it are A-class people. So for you to use it as the premise of your "plagiarism" thread, is silly and undeserved.

You're going way overboard with this, and I think you need to give the situation more consideration.
  • Ephesians 2:8-9
    It seems the odds are not in my favor on this topic. Clearly, based off your reactions, I am wrong.

Let me say to those who took offense, I apologize. I can admit I am wrong with the evidence is clearly presented.

Thank you all. smile.gif
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    I suppose I retract my troll statement. Trolls never admit being wrong. smile.gif