Home General Discussion

"Links" on portfolio pages

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
adam polycounter lvl 19
Just a quickie: Why do a large number of game artists have a "links" page on their portfolio websites? Some with 3D app links, some with friends links, some with.. I dunno, tutorial website links?

I don't get it..

Replies

• Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    I did always think it wonky to include links to other artists, as a potential employer may decide to look at that and see an artist they'd rather have.

Guess, I'm too cut throat with this stuff.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    To prove they have friends?
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    I think back with the .com boom it was a standard thing to have a "links" page . . . I never understood this in almost any context. I would guess there are people out there who are still going by those rules?
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Google rating?
    By linking to other artists you boost their google rating and if others return the favor yours get boosted too.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Google rating?
    By linking to other artists you boost their google rating and if others return the favor yours get boosted too.

[/ QUOTE ]

While I would like to think it was something that technical, it's probably what Tulkamir said, it's just about friends, "hey these guys are my buddies and I respect them and their artistic talent"
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    I have links section on my website, just to allow people to discover some artist I really like, that's all. Sharing... you know.
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    I feel the same way as Renaud. I love to link to people I know and/or really respect in this field. I like the feeling of a tight nit community. I'm not worried that I'll loose work because of it. People like my work or they don't. My linking to someone else won't change that. I think it’s great that I might introduce someone to someone they would have never discovered otherwise. It works in reverse as well. Being linked on someone’s site might lead more people to mine.

- BoBo
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yep, same as Renaud. My links page is basically people I respect as artists, and who are people I enjoy talking to or working with.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    "Inspirational" people...or resources to help people ???
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    Yep, you get random hits to your site all the time from people finding you on Google/Image Search etc. If they like what they see and want to see more, it's nice to be able to offer up some folks you know won't dissapoint.

My only problem is that I've had a link to Kite's site for a while, and he refuses to just put some of his beautiful work up there, the bum.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Same as Renaud, too. However, that is for my personal site. My portfolio site has no links to anybody/anyplace because there is no reason to. Employers don't want to have to wade through your news page, splash page and links page to get to what they came there for. :S
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Xenobond: Indeed, that's why my site doesn't have a news page, or anything else on the main page besides my artwork.
    There is a link on the left to my personal links page, but it's way down the list after all the more relevant stuff to any potential employer, so it's not like they have to "wade through" anything... I detest splash pages, and news pages belong on actual news websites...
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    I've actually been meaning to start a discussion on a similar note.

Whatever happened to the concept of a personal website in this community? It probably has a lot to do with the fact everyone is getting older and working professionally in the same field that was once just a hobby...

I just really liked some of the more sharing-centered stuff from the older days (around 1999-2004). Everyone had a website, but it was more geared toward showing their art, posting tutorials, and linking to friends. Back then, I guess a lot of folks didn't really think it would ever become a career, so there was less need to be 'presentable' to potential employers.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think most link pages end up being a hot chick posse. Everyone on the list is either a little fat, a little ugly or a little nerdy. All designed to make the main attraction that much more attractive. There are rare exceptions but most people are too paranoid to post links to other artist. I find them useful just so you can get a sense of the friends a person keeps. But I find it kind of tacky and slightly slimey to use them to dig up applicants.

I agree with Slum that links pages are kind of a throw back to the days when people would use their site as a hub for info instead of a job hunting platform. You might be able to blame it on improved search engines too. Back when searching for something was laughable you would stumble onto a page and almost be dependant on its links page to find info of the same caliber.

I kind of miss news/blogs being on peoples sites, I don't think it should get in the way of getting to the art but its kind of nice to read up on someone and get a sense of who they are. I tend to forget about the portfolios from people who are stiff and wooden "Dear sir or madam... I am a robot... I make art... see my dumpster... thank you for your time... /End of Transmission"
  • York
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome websites Guys!! I think that links are a GREAT way to help out the community and your other co-workers ect. I am re working my website now and I made a link section.

Here is my personal website feel free to check out my animations and portfolio and tell me what you think :-)

www.yorkanimates.com

I am a Character Animator
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saidin311 polycounter lvl 11
    [ QUOTE ]
    I tend to forget about the portfolios from people who are stiff and wooden "Dear sir or madam... I am a robot... I make art... see my dumpster... thank you for your time... /End of Transmission"

[/ QUOTE ]

I seem to see that really, everyone here has a site like that. With only rare exceptions.

What would you suggest to get rid of the robot mentality? I also enjoy the prospect of keeping a blog and/or news even though its a massive time consumer. But I also suck at HTML and can't make a site worth beans.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Some of us have friends Adam. Just joking, most of us don't.

I think it's good to show that you're connected to people in the industry. Maybe someone knows someone on my links page and asks if I'm a douche or not. You never know what'll come out of things like that. I would whole heartily recommend anyone on my links page for gigs. I guess that's more of it for me. It's like saying I vouche for these people.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Slum: I think that those old sites which were blogs with tutorials merged into messageboards such as this one. There still a few of them about.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    I used to link people I respect as artist to my site, but when someone I knew and had asked for permission first gave me the okay to do so then gave me shit about it, because I was applying to the company he worked for, I decided to stop. The other reason I don't have links is because I then have to worry about dead links. I think most people do it because of the friendship factor. Also when I was learning web design back in 1999 that was the trend, your site had to have a resume, about, gallery and links section to be considered complete. I do have links page for my use, but it's not linked to my portfolio site.

Alex
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    I've found some awesome art through artist's links pages that I wouldn't have found otherwise. I intend to add one to my portfolio in the next update.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    friends really, that's why i do it. I like to share their art.
  • Slainean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slainean polycounter lvl 18
    I'm working on my site right now and I'm second guessing the usefulness of a links section. It seems like a bother to check with everyone I'd like to link to, and I doubt anyone would stumble onto it anyway without already being hooked into a gameart community.

It is kinda the default way of setting up a site, but lately I had been thinking about it myself.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    I think links are a good idea. I'm not sure that you should commit an entire separate section to them, though. Maybe make them ancillary to another section. Or only put the link to the links section within another section, and not have it accessible from the front page. Links to other pages are the internet's version of props. For instance, providing links to the companies who produce the tools you commonly use is a good idea. It can help drive traffic to their sites and even provide them with indirect sales. If enough people list you as the reason they found out about the company's product, who knows? Maybe they'll come to you looking to advertise on your site.