Home General Discussion

Autodesk Launches 3ds Max 2009

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
chrismaddox3d polycounter lvl 17
Autodesk Launches 3ds Max 2009 Entertainment Software and Introduces 3ds Max Design 2009 for Design Professionals,
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/080212/aqtu080.html?.v=40

Replies

• Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Hmmm guess I'll be checking that out. I haven't even tried 2008 yet.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Improved OBJ and Autodesk FBX file formats import and export vastly enhance interoperability

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry, but I can't stop laughing about that. Taken how long to get a decent working OBJ importer/exporter?

Yes I know you can download a plugin that handles importing/exporting. That shouldn't be needed given how common and simple the obj format is.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    "Improved OBJ and Autodesk FBX file formats import and export vastly enhance interoperability with Autodesk Mudbox, Autodesk Maya, Autodesk MotionBuilder software programs and other third-party applications."

Well, now MoP can rest easily. Only took them over 5 versions...if it works.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I swear to bejebus, now that they own maya and max, they better make a format that properly ports between them.

ACTUALLY GET WORK DONE YOU LAZY FUCKS!
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    bloody hell they chuck em out like milkybars
  • Marcus Dublin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marcus Dublin polycounter lvl 17
    I'd be happy for a few more service packs to Max 9, it's still buggy as hell!

Marcus Dublin

Freelance - Artist
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Well, now MoP can rest easily. Only took them over 5 versions...if it works.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? I've been using the Max built-in OBJ import/export since Max 5 and I've never had any issues with it.

The GuruWare OBJ importer has a couple of extra options but mainly it just has a set of "presets" stored for bringing things in/out of standard different apps (ie. changing the up axis, how scaling is performed) etc.

But improved can only be good, considering the initial import/export thing is fine as it stands.

Improved UV tools also sounds nice.

Seems a bit rapid to be bringing out 2009 though, I thought 2008 only just came out? Why don't they just make it a patch or service pack for 2008?
  • Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Seems a bit rapid to be bringing out 2009 though, I thought 2008 only just came out? Why don't they just make it a patch or service pack for 2008?

[/ QUOTE ]

Service packs are free, while upgrades cost $900 or so.
  • Mark Dygert
  • CrazyButcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
    isn't that a press release that they announced the product for this year? doesn't mean it's right around the corner, or? I suspect them to bring it out around summer/autumn as always, otherwise I am with Mop that it seems too quickly

edit: nevermind it will ship March 25th and subscribers get both versions
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    SplashLogo.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally just replaced my max splash screen with that image.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Wow I guess maya 2010 is coming out soon. wink.gifI can't believe this bs. Max 2008 just came out wtf and from looking at posts it's buggy as hell so what gives? Why don't they just make Maya, Max, mudbox, motionbuilder just support each other as all of them support .max, .ma, .mb and whatever mudbox files system is. Improved obj support what kind of a sell is that?

Alex
  • Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I totally just replaced my max splash screen with that image.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I wrote a script at work that randomly chooses a splashscreen from a folder on our version control, so the artists can add new splashscreens to version control at will and everyone can laugh at Max together. I'll post it up today in case anyone wants to ask their tech artists to use it at their studio, when I get home.

I'd like to write a python script so we could all put images on a central server somewhere and we'd download any new ones automatically, I'll see what I can come up with though I'm a python noob.

I currently have my splashscreen set as the same image (though it says 3dsmax 8, like the original one did), and I've been thinking about a way I can get the opening-max goodness I have at work at my home.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    lmao professor, that's AWESOME. laugh.gif
    If you can get that online that'd be tight, but I'd settle for a local-only random image solution smile.gif

Cool new about max 2009 - though I'd like to see some issues fixed in Max2008. I've been using 2008 for a few weeks now and I like it, albeit a few small issues.

I want Autodesk to rebuild max from the ground up, damnit. It has been FAR too long. Strip out the shit that's not needed, and clean it out!
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    it's friggin FEBRUARY 2008!! 2009 should be NO WHERE NEAR ANY TITLE/SYSTEM/CAR/ETC...

i HATE that.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    basically to swap out the splash image you just save the image in this formate / size to a splash.bmp in the 3dsmax8 or 9 main directory and when it loads it will use this one.
  • Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright the script and screens are here.
    http://www.robg3d.com/downloads/putIn_Scripts-Startup_Folder.zip

As the name says, put in 3dsmax/scripts/startup, shouldn't matter what version.

It will delete your splash.bmp, get all the bmp's in the scripts/startup/splashscreens folder, and copy a random one to 3dsmax/splash.bmp. Send me new images and I'll add them, or upload them to imageshack, etc., and I'll add them. Of course you can just put any new ones you make in your scripts/startup/splashScreens folder.

I was also thinking about buying a small prize and running a contest, maybe Polycount could make it a mini-challenge, make the best max splashscreen?

BTW most splash screens are from a CGTalk thread, there are also some I made in there.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    We all bitch about Max but do you ever actually send in these requests to Autodesk? Or do we expect them to just troll forums and hope for improvement suggestions?

Autodesks majority of funds do NOT come from 3D model applications they own like Max and/or Maya, they come from their industry tools like CAD. And with our industry, the videogame industry, being as small as it is and an even smaller number being artists who use Max/Maya, we have a very small voice.

Even smaller because we all bitch amongst ourselves but probably never has an effort been made to contact them and suggest change.

I'd really like to see a MASSIVE group effort to make Max 2010 or future iterations something we can all use rather than see "LOL MAX!" threads pop up every time theres a new release.

The squeaky door gets the oil...
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    haha those splash screens are great. Gonna add these to my box at work too ;D Now I need to make a couple of my own...is it contest time? smile.gif
  • HarlequiN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HarlequiN polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    We all bitch about Max but do you ever actually send in these requests to Autodesk? Or do we expect them to just troll forums and hope for improvement suggestions?

[/ QUOTE ]

Autodesk gets a huge list of bugs and wanted improvements each time they kick out a version - they let it sit out there for a bit and then say "Hey big Max using companies, what do you guys think?" Bugs tend to get fixed (Depending on their severity, or how much you nag), while wanted features don't seem to be dealt with in any particular hurry, if at all. I'm still waiting for the unwrap modifiers to let me edit multiple selected objects at once, the way you can with Edit Poly, but for UV's, and I think we requested that 4 or 5 versions ago. Maybe that's what "improved UV tools" means? I hope so...

Anyway, to answer your question more directly, no they're not expected to troll forums, and yes we send our bitching to them quite regularly. For all that they do seem to listen more than Adobe (mostly), but Photoshop has the advantage of having mostly rock solid stability, which Max does not - that begs forgiveness for a lot wink.gif.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I'm still waiting for the unwrap modifiers to let me edit multiple selected objects at once, the way you can with Edit Poly, but for UV's, and I think we requested that 4 or 5 versions ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

Harl, do you guys have Max 2008? You can unwrap multiple objects in 2008.
  • rebb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rebb polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Autodesk gets a huge list of bugs and wanted improvements each time they kick out a version - they let it sit out there for a bit and then say "Hey big Max using companies, what do you guys think?" Bugs tend to get fixed (Depending on their severity, or how much you nag), while wanted features don't seem to be dealt with in any particular hurry, if at all. I'm still waiting for the unwrap modifiers to let me edit multiple selected objects at once, the way you can with Edit Poly, but for UV's, and I think we requested that 4 or 5 versions ago. Maybe that's what "improved UV tools" means? I hope so...

Anyway, to answer your question more directly, no they're not expected to troll forums, and yes we send our bitching to them quite regularly. For all that they do seem to listen more than Adobe (mostly), but Photoshop has the advantage of having mostly rock solid stability, which Max does not - that begs forgiveness for a lot wink.gif.

[/ QUOTE ]

Alias probably did it the same way, just asking the huge ass studios what they might want to have, or they just put things in that are incredibly situational - like that one Version of Maya where one of the main Additions was a fancy Ocean Shader. Hmkay.
  • Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    haha those splash screens are great. Gonna add these to my box at work too ;D Now I need to make a couple of my own...is it contest time? smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm down if anyone wants to go halves on a prize, like Polyboost or $150 range item.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Service Pack 3 - Fail
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    Autodesk 3d studio max 2009 cs3 mx expert edition (TM)

It's like the last 3 versions of photoshop/illustrator. Nothing substantial added, all the same bugs present, bad compatibility between the programs.

I've left max for dead but still find it easy to use.
  • Mr.T
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "US$3,495*"

Huhuh right.. I wish we could pay that much for Max in Europe..
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    does it have a "makebetterart" button?
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    Fuck this, I just forked out for max 9 a couple of months back. I think I'll just stick to 9 untill I see they have fixed at least most of the bugs in the newer versions....

Autodesk is starting to look a lot like our favorite OS supplier....
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

Autodesk is starting to look a lot like our favorite OS supplier....

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish. We'd get a new, rebuilt version every 4 or 5 years rather than a patch every year that does nothing.
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    here is my current splash
    splash.gif
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    stil using max 8 , sick of this bullshit releasing the same product with different names.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Johny: Max 2008 is considerably better than Max 8.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    mm max is cool.
    every program has bugs and anyway max 2008 seems a lot better It has a nicer splash screen for one thing and if it crashes it crashes more stylishly:)
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Same as Johny, still using Max 8. Their havn't been any features in any of the versions sense that were enough of a reason for me to upgrade.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    [ QUOTE ]
    does it have a "makebetterart" button?

[/ QUOTE ]
    duh, turbosmooth
  • Mark Dygert
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    This really f'ed me over... ok so max 2009 we all knew it as coming. But i have been working on a 2008 book that is in print RIGHT NOW. They announced 2009 for spring also. What the hell? Thats 6 months since the last release! Not only should this be a patch for 2008 but the announced features are just... blah... they should have been included in 2008 release...

/rant

Mop: 9 has been just fine for me so far. 2008 had some good minor features but nothing to justify an entirely new release. Same goes for 2009 i feel.
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Haha. Vig that's awesome. I use 9 and my roommate uses 2008 right next to me and is always complaining about something stupid about it.
  • Mr.T
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I hope there will be a 3d painting/sculpting tool in Max2009 to justify a new version...

..haha just kidding.. Autodesk bought Mudbox.. why the hell
    would they lost money and add a 3d sculpting tool in max..

damn it..

Modo seems really interesting.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Get with the times people max 9 and up can handle millions and millions of polygons like XSI could since version 5. Now can Max 8 and 7 do that? No it can't, they also added that awesome hidden line feature in 9 that's worth 5000 dollars but you got it for $3,495 and to show that we care about your pockets we released 2008 and 2009. Sir 2008 just started... Fire him he has no vision...

Alex
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Sage...I think you made a major typo. Or, if you're right, I'd like to see a test on viewport performance between max and xsi. I was under the assumption many max users used a third party app to reduce the geometry of exported sculpts, and break them down into segments, so Max could handle them.
  • Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think Sage was sarcastic.
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    maybe they'll bring back being able to snap a pivot to a vertex... Of course, what kind of silly people would ever want to that? They broke it or took it out of max 2008 so I guess no one needs that anymore :P.

Autodesk is becoming an evil genie.. you wish for something and you might get it.. but then something you need is taken away.

oh and btw... right in the middle of posting this, fking max locked up on me. autodesk knows when we complain....
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    I use 7 most of the time! I just like this version the most. smile.gif
  • Mr.T
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well at work we still use Max8, nothing made us going to buy
    updates fortunately.. I would be pissed to make my boss
    upgrade for 2008 with 2009 coming out now.

What will be the "super extra new features" justifying all
    those bucks we are going to give Autodesk. Looking at other
    3d softwares with half the price of what Max costs, I'm
    tempting to migrate to something else.

And why Adobe and Autodesk products are twice the price in
    Europe? I was searching for an answer somewhere..
    and couldn't find why other softwares keep the same price.
    Does someone knows?
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    [ QUOTE ]
    Sage...I think you made a major typo. Or, if you're right, I'd like to see a test on viewport performance between max and xsi. I was under the assumption many max users used a third party app to reduce the geometry of exported sculpts, and break them down into segments, so Max could handle them.

[/ QUOTE ]

there are comparisons and in those i read, max2k8 actually "won" against xsi, performancewise. but then it so varies on a case by case basis. i just welcome it as a general speedup, making it possible to adjust something complex like a 3D scan inside max without having to get a cup of tea after every single mouseclick, which was the case with 8 and older releases.
    much faster now and fewer memoryleaks/crashes when using fx-shaders here.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, Max 2008's viewport performance is about 10x faster than 8/9 (not just marketing blurb, it's actually true) - I did some tests on Max 2008 and Maya 2008 - with a 1.5 million triangle model, Max 2008 gets just over 100fps in the viewport, Maya 2008 gets a mighty 16fps (which is about what Max 8 could manage).

Sage/ElysiumGX, the only reason to run stuff through polycruncher is to get an optimal performance - why would you bother importing a 5 million triangle model when you can crunch it down to under 1 million and lose no vital surface information? That way you can have 5 of those objects for the same expense as one, un-optimised version.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Actually I was ranting about the fact that it took Autodesk so long to implement decent support for high polygon models compared to xsi in the viewports. Simple as that. I suspect they did this for Maya I would hope so but I would be surprised if they did. I was not making Max vs XSI comparison but a comment on why the hell it took them Autodesk so long to implement this in Max. I don't really care if one is a little faster in this because they are both fast enough to edit a few million polys the last time I tested. I mean with wireframe on verts on etc.

Mop there are a few times you need to edit a model with millions of poly without reducing it but the not really game related. Also there is a huge difference in viewport performance between Max 9 and any earlier version of Max. I think that feature should of been added via a service pack though.

Alex