Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Advice on Jeep Model

Hi, i have been working on a quick model for an animation class. So far have spent a day on it, im not worried about the poly count of the object but looking at the model i notice some things wrong with it. The body still looks quite low detailed to me compared to the rest but the main thing is those nasty lines that appear when i render it. Im not to sure how to fix this. I have included a wire image as well. Any advice on how i can fix this model would be of great help.
pumatruck.jpg

pumatruckwire.jpg

Replies

• Archanex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Archanex polycounter lvl 18
    Reference would help a heap
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Different angles would help also. It's hard to tell from just the front bumper.

As for the design, you might want to scale down that bumper/brush guard. The bumper is way over powering and is so low that you'd have a problem going over anything larger than a speed bump wink.gif
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    Spid, my guess is that your smoothing is trying to smooth from one side of the door, over the top, and into the cab side. If you put a hard edge along the outside top of the body, it should get rid of a lot of those lines.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    You should also try edit the loops around the bumper on the side as there's good pinches going on there...
  • Slingshot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slingshot polycounter lvl 17
    Watch out when you model to think about how the model will function when you animate it. For example your front bumper looks like it might interfere with the turning radius of your front wheels. Well that is from the view you have provided us.
  • spideyscott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for the bad render. Ive updated with some more renders. I have also taken the advice and moved the bumper to be higher up. Also when the wheel turns it doesnt hit the bumper or the flap above it either, thanks for reminding me to check that out. Im going for a more cartoony look so want to have big wheels and bumper. The problem im noticeing is on the body where the windscreen trim meets the body, not to sure how to fix the problem, also top of the body has another edge loop added to it right at the top almost.

pumatruckrenders.jpg
  • Por@szek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Por@szek polycounter lvl 18
    I won't dig to mesh fixing thing, cos U have a lot to tweak, weld, snap-move.
    But design is fucking awesome. For a long time i didn't saw anything that connect so nicle now and near future.
    Well done. (ok maybe bumper on front looks kind a heavy, but its a deatil wink.gif)
  • Leyvin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks a bit like that new jeep "supercar" concept.
    truely awesome piece of hardware, but I think model wise you need to get the mesh a little more even. Looks very hand edited then sub-divided (again by hand) without taking in to account shape.

atleast to me
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I think your problem might clear up some if you were to move the line that connects to the back of the 'a-pillar'. Move it to the front of the pillar. That poly is trying to make a hard bend around that shape.
  • spideyscott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments. I have now started to animate the model. What i have done is created a dummy and have all the other objects linked to it, so that the body can roll without directly affecting the wheels. I also set up an expression where a wheel rotates depending on the dummies movement in the x direction.

It works ok until i rotate the null 180 as if the model has turned 180. The wheels then spin backwards, my guess being the postion is being read as the opposite value because of the rotation. I was wondering how can i fix this or is there a better way to animate it?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks to me like your smoothing groups are messed up. Using Max or Maya?

If you're using Max go into Edit Poly > Polygon Smoothing Groups > Click Auto Smooth

The problem is that your smoothing groups are wrapping around to another section of the mesh. Auto smooth should get things pretty close. You can assign your own smoothing groups by selecting the faces and clicking on a smoothing group.

This might help explain things.
    http://www.vigville.com/forum_images/SmoothingGroups.jpg