Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

war krieger fireBall WIP

ok peeps, this is on german sculptor by the name of krieger, you have seen lotsa of his props in movies like in bladeRunner and hellboy, i am modeling and texturing a mech suit based off of one of his sculpts, and the only thing i changed is the arms
been away from polycount for more than enough, time to get back into it! ooo.gif

Replies

• moose
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
  • stoofoo
    Offline / Send Message
    stoofoo polycounter lvl 18
  • CiscoJavier
    here is some of WIP
    currently began texturing now, i will continue on it tonight

bleh-3.jpg
    bleh-7.jpg
    bleh-8.jpg
    bleh-9.jpg
    bleh-10.jpg
    bleh-11.jpg

and there we go, i am already in the texturing stage like i said, i got the color pallette picked out, since i like the design so much, i might do two variations of it, one with urban camo suit, and the other stealthy with dark grays and blacks. anyways, go ahead and crit, deeply appreciated

oh, and the render with the uvw template? i changed that, i seperated the layout into two 1k by 1k maps to have better control with that crazy.gif
  • CiscoJavier
    so far, i used 3ds Max 9, obviously hah, and also used a bit of zBrush for the scratches and bumps on it, will add to it though
  • dfacto
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Actually this is from Machinen Krieger/SF3d, an extremely overlooked and under appreciated series of mechanical designs by Kow Yokoyama. The sculptor was doing some fanart.

Either way, great to see Ma.K get some lovin, and nice wips so far. I guess since you're at texture already there's not much to say until we see more wips, but there do appear to be a few diffuse seams to work out, and the rockets on the back look like they have a normal seam running through the middle. Just some stuff to look into. smile.gif
  • CiscoJavier
    machinen? cool i did not know
    thanks, oh and about the seams? yeh, i realized that, i think im going to go do another pass of more hiPoly detailing in zBrush, and then reBake it once again along with AO to fix all those little seams, that was supposed to be dent marks, but it did not work out ooo.gif
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    I would say the modeling isn't done. There looks to be some real messy areas and I can't tell what is your high poly and what is your low poly cause everything is such a mess.

It looks like you are using your low poly to create your high poly by just adding turbo smooth and well thats not really the best way to do it at all. You will have way too many wasted polys / tris in your "game" mesh then you really need and thats what this is looking like to me.

I'm also guessing I am looking at a shot with the normal map applied to the game mesh and a lot of the detail looks blurry, washed out or warped.

I also see a lot of areas where you could have used intersecting geo instead of extruding and creating some bad mesh flow that doesn't smooth very well and thus will create a huge problem / head ache in mudbox or zbrush or even with turbo smooth applied.

As for creating some details with mudbox / zbrush I would say I would focus on getting a solid high poly in max first since this is easily a model that can be done in max without ever opening one of those programs.

This is a cool piece to do and can be a bad ass high poly model but from what I see you still have a bit of work before you should move on to the textures.
  • Ott
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    Don't see any discernible bolts, rivets, panels, etc. (I see a couple panel looking things on his leg...sorta)

This is one of those things that probably looks awesome in concept, but until it has some more texture or something I honestly have a hard time figuring out what is going on. It's a lot of weird shapes and seemingly un-animatable parts.

I too am sort of confused by your renders as far as what is what.

The geometry around the armpit could have been floating. You will get some odd smoothing / lighting issues trying to extrude that sort of geometry out of a smooth surface.

You have a LOT of cylinder shapes with excessive iterations. The canisters on his side, all the crap on his back...etc.

You are showing a strong ability to model something, and keeping it with concept, but if you are going to take it all the way it has to be done right all the way through...keep it up!
  • CiscoJavier
    whoa crap
    thanks jesse very much, and you too don
    good thing i didnt get too crazy with the textures, im on it
    i will email you guys some renders once i get into it more, and jesse, sorry man for mouthing off at ya ooo.gif
  • CiscoJavier
    ok so basically, i understand what you guys are saying mainly with what don is saying. and jesse, what should i do with the hiPoly, cause i DID take the lo-Poly and began turbosmoothing and bgan adding more details into it like you said. what should i do? delete it, and just re-work on the "game mesh" turn that one into a hiPoly detailed mesh, and then make a duplicate copy off of that one, and then down-rez it? ooo.gif
  • MAUL0r
    Offline / Send Message
    MAUL0r polycounter lvl 18
    So far it looks like you were true to the concept which is great. Other than the crits above I think you're on your way for sure. I hope you plan to rig it too!
  • Ott
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    Just using a turbo-smooth isn't always the best way to generate your high poly shit, especially for hard surface stuff. You have a LOT of small details that could go a long way for generating some dope normal info.

Sometimes you just gotta get in there and model the high poly shit. Programs like Zbrush and Mudbox just make it easier. Stuff like the bolts and rivets, wiring etc. If you are going to use turbosmooth, you should consider bringing your chamfer sizes down a bit so that the curves are a little sharper, but still maintain a bit of that beveled edge.

Look at some of the guys who do guns and stuff and you will see what I mean. Right now you dont have many sharp edges, and that would help break it up so it doesn't look so blobby.
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    Frank,

here is some stuff i did to help another ai / polycounter with on his Kriss gun.

kriss2.jpg
    kriss1.jpg
    quakepistol12.jpg

You can see my wire frames on how I control how tight / loose edges are. Using the connect tool is also your friend as chamfering will create triangles and those will be a huge headache when you smooth anything.
  • CiscoJavier
    ok i gotcha guys, to try and stay away from turboSmooth, only when really needed, and the just stick with the Connect tool
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    um no thats not it either frank. But to control how turbosmooth works you need to have more edge loops to control how tight it is smoothed. I use turbosmooth for all my high res modeling unless i'm using mudbox/zbrush.

I would just try a simple test first to get used to how it works. You will get the hang of it and then tackle this beast.
  • CiscoJavier
    thanks jesse, i am on it
    ooo.gif
  • katana
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    sure dont see enough Sf3d stuff..this is great...
  • CiscoJavier
    i got a quick question, about how many poly's or tri's should i be lookin into putting into this loPoly mesh? right now i am at about 8,500 polies, and 13,000 tris
    is this OK?
    oh yeah, and i will post more renders soon enough i am done rendering
    which will be tonight
  • Ott
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    Frank...

Polygon numbers = irrelevant.

The video card on your computer, your PS3, and your XBox 360 draw triangles. Triangles.

There is no right answer to your question, and the "how many is too many" has been addressed a thousand times on these forums.

Is this thing even able to be animated? Or is it just a static piece you want to make for yourself? If it is supposed to be animated, is it cut properly for animation? What sort of stuff on the body is going to react to the animation? (The flaps, the wires, the guns, etc....this all has to be cut in accordance with animation as well.)

You don't have any character stuff on your portfolio, so I would suggest you do something that is done properly and done well before you even worry about how many triangles it has. If it looks cool, you have a great normal map, and it's actually rigged / posed - you win.

P.S. Please don't post images larger than 1,000 x 1,000 next time around....if you really wanna do larger images, give us a link wink.gif
  • CiscoJavier
  • CiscoJavier
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    Why are you giving us these horrible renders on black backgrounds?

Again I don't know if this is a high poly model or the low poly. I'm gonna guess its the low by the obvious mesh errors and weird smoothing.

The boosters for example look really soft and not metal or hard. Plus the seams don't line up and your uvs are shifted.

Huge seam going down the center of the model in the back. Really stands out.

Can we see your high poly model?

Don't do any fancy colored lighting or any of that.

Just drop him down on a large plane so he looks grounded. Drop in a skylight and set to light tracer, catmul rom, etc, etc.

There is a lot of stuff on this that really could be bad ass but right now it just looks blah....
  • CiscoJavier
    more progress peeps

yeh i see em jesse, im fixing them bad seams up
    also, what do u think of the camo, looks ok? or looks horrible?

bleh-16.jpg

bleh-15.jpg
    wireFrame
    texture 1K x 1K only the body though
    ooo.gif
  • Ott
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    Can you show us whatever reference you are using? Or is this an action figure? I'm not really sure what this is based on, and it might help me get a better feeling for the end goal.

I like the brighter light setup, but don't forget some sort of fill light so we can see the underside of stuff.

Pure blacks = bad.

It's going to be a lot easier selling whatever material / paint job you are going for if you can narrow down the base shader stuff first. Make that metal look like metal. Make the rust, damage, dirt, etc. look like its supposed to, THEN worry about doing decal / paintover work.

Even if this beast was just plain generic metal and your shader actually looked correct and damaged, it would look pretty badass. Rust and mud and bulletholes...all that sorta stuff is gonna need normal and spec info if it is going to look right.

Just focus on some flat colors for now and work on the shader. Spec / normal is a lot more than the last 5 minutes of your texturing with a halfass filter / desaturate and calling it a day.

P.S. No overlaying in your UV's?
  • CiscoJavier
    coolness, thanks don
    umm, no i am not overlaying anything on the UVs
    and as for the spec and all that, yeh, im controlling it i did a couple of test renders with all of that, i generated them using crazyBump, here is a couple of posts for the look of it, again this only a rough, u will be able to see that i also normal mapped the decals & the camo spots, (i know that is a no no because it makes it look like it is carved in there with the bod
    but anyways, here, checkit out
    crazy.gif

bleh-19.jpg

bleh-18.jpgooo.gif
  • CiscoJavier
    oh yea don, here we go
    here is the reference
    newfireball30.jpg
    newfireball32.jpg
    newfireball33.jpg
    ooo.gif
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    Let us see the high poly model. Right now it looks like everything is hand painted and it's really lacking that real push you get form a high poly model.
  • CiscoJavier
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    Why on earth would I need to see a wire frame of your high poly unless there are errors and we are trying to help you fix things.

While there are good "parts" of the high poly I would say that model isn't really great to make a normal map from. Your high poly looks soft and mushy and has some sharp edges and some soft. It doesn't seem consistent.

It really needs a lot of work before I would move on to the low poly.

BUT then again thats just my opinion.
  • CiscoJavier
    yeh, thats why i put the hiPoly wire on there, in case any of u saw any errors that i didnt see or of course if you guys had any suggestions on it

and yeah, looking at the hiPoly, i have to agree, cause there are some parts that don't pop out as much as i wanted them to like you said, i will have to go back and basically reDo the hiPoly again. at this point though i have to move on, GDC is right around the corner. i fly out this tuesday! laugh.gif
  • Ott
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    I would suggest detaching areas that you want to work on more and then doing the projection around that for any specific normal maps. This will save you time having to re-render out the entire mesh and working with it as a whole.

Just float / isolate whatever it is you want to improve and then project that into a new normal map, then go into Photoshop and use an Overlay and put it over your old normal map.

Crazybump might be a good start for your spec maps, but if it is a pure black and white or grays you are going to need to adjust it.

Can you post your spec / normal flats?
  • CiscoJavier
    dude, thanks don
    hah, when i was working during the hiPoly part, i knew i was doing something wrong, inever worked on something this big tha t much attention, anyways, here ya goO

spec level
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    dude would you embed your images so people dont have to click on shit.

Also that spec map isn't going to help this at all. It's just a shade of black and gray. Really not good at all sir.

I would say start back on the high poly and show us that and get that to a really nice level and then do the low poly.
  • CiscoJavier
  • Ott
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    Yeah, that spec is pretty much horrible. I know we have a lot of Crazybump fanatics, and I love it for normal map stuff, but so far some of the spec map stuff just doesn't seem to be cutting it. Maybe I'm missing something too...or not clicking the right button...who knows.

For the VERY basic 2 second spec map, just desaturate your color, play with the levels and adjust the whites up a little higher and your darks a little lower. This isn't really an accurate spec map, but its the fastest and easiest and will look a lot better than what you have now.

Right now you have so much gray and black that you won't really get ANY sort of specularity, and you should be seeing a LOT of it on corners, edges, etc. Do a few scratch layers on your spec as well instead of the color map and those will pop out a bit too.

There are LOTS of tutorials on achieving accurate colors for your specularity, and as I said earlier it's usually a LOT more than just slapping something down, but if you want something quick and easy just to see where it's going - try that.

Also of note, if you are baking your AO into your color, you also should bake it into your spec, and then don't use a skylight for rendering...use a normal 3-point light. Skylights kill spec / normal maps if that's the only lighting solution you are using.
  • CiscoJavier
    ok guys, im ready for GDC
    if i see you guys there, awesome! drinkin on!
    if not, then o well, i will post the finished version of as soon as i can, right now i need some sleep, im tiiired, but jesse, i do want restart on the hipoly again, and this time, do it piece by piece like you guys said, and the first way i shoulda done it
    but o well, live and learn right, so now i will see you guys maybe online again, or whenever i come back
    peace! laugh.gif

PS oh yeah, thanks don for the insight, freakin awesome, i did it, i will post the updated spec ass soon as i can, as for now, i am running out of time, and i need to get some sleep, my flight is at 7 in the morning :\confused.gif
  • CiscoJavier
    http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h245/frizzank619/polycount/fireBall-1.jpg

ok there we go, this is what i took to gdc with my portfolio
    i got ripped apart on it more or less. just like you guys have been tellling me all along
    really glad with the crits i been receiving, because its all been dead on the same with what i been hearing from both sides ooo.gif

so, right now i am debating i f i will either go back and rework the hiPoly piece by pice on this moofo, or just move on to something else :\

what do u guys think?

fireBall-1.jpg

cashReg-Shot1_WIRED.jpg
  • Ott
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    If you are really interested in continuing with this guy, we need to see the stuff that got you where you are now. (Personally I don't see the point in continuing...are you trying to do character's now?

Need to see your spec, color maps, high res, etc. with whatever changes you have made to get you here. It's hard for us to figure out where the issues specifically are.

I can tell you some problems though, but you probably already heard it at GDC from people.

At the absolute base of the problem is that we have absolutely no idea what this guy is made of other than "brown". The metal simply does not look like metal. It looks like you tried to hand paint it and started by slapping down a bunch of colors and gave your specular an afterthought when you were done.

Your texture resolution is relatively dodgy, especially around the legs. This is something you will start realizing when you don't overlay UV's. If it looks a little stretched after your max render, it's gonna REALLY looked stretched on a 50" 1080p resolution screen.

This concept is really far fetched and unless you are familiar with it, the first thing you want to do is start ripping on the complete mess that it is. None of the weapons or accessories make much sense at all, and apparently you actually walk AND land ON the thrusters.

I could go on, but I think it's all been said. I would consider this "lesson learned" and move on to something more simplistic. Get a few things that you can bust out quickly and done WELL instead of something as challenging as this beast.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    yeah i think you should go back and put your loops where they are needed in the HP, to avoid the soft and organic shapes you are getting in the finished model, i think it looks kinda ok right now too but that only means it would look even better with a decent highpoly smile.gif
  • CiscoJavier
  • Joao Sapiro
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    yeah better to have made a highpoly., right now all the shading info you had in the difuse transmited onto the normal map giving you shading errors. Either do a good highpoly and redo this or start something new wink.gif good luck !
  • CiscoJavier
    yeah thanks you guys, i think im going to do something else, tonight and tomorrow i will be concepting something new to work with, maybe something in the same family as this
    im confident i will kill the next project ooo.gif
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    Less talk more do.