Home General Discussion

Recoiless Automatic Shotgun

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
Damn this is why Future Weapons is one of the coolest shows on tv.

Look at this damn thin. I want one for hunting and I don't even hunt.

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/guns/recoille...p?autoplay=true

Replies

• Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Yeah I saw that. I can't wait to buy one to go hunting those crazy deers in the woods. wink.gif my attempt at comedy... wink.gif

But yeah when I saw that weapon I was really impressed especially when I saw two of them together on a turret. I was kind of surprised they haven't tried to make it have a spray effect like an ak 47.

Alex
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    Gah, I so want to like Futureweapons. . . but the guy is just such a douche!

The show would be great if it wasn't for him. But every time he opens his mouth, he sounds so full of himself, and he talks in that low, steven segall, "I'm such a badass" voice!

However, the shotgun is awesome.
  • Cthogua
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cthogua polycounter lvl 18
    The real problem with this weapon is range. They don't really go into it in the video, but a guy with a sight and a rifle is always going to win that fight. The shotgun would be good for urban combat, and anything involving close quarters gun fights against soft targets. However our military specifically works to avoid those situations since it takes away most of the advantages our increased communications and satellite technologies give us.

Still a neat gun though.
    The pump action grenade launcher is still probably one of my all time favorites though. I got to see one in person at the Navy Seal Museum..its a bulldog of a gun.
    Wiki entry on it
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    cthogua.. thats why they make different typses of guns,, i seriously doubt they designed this for sniper duels.
    and i'm sure theres still plenty of close combat going on that something like this would be of plenty use.
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    why would you need to have a shotgun that fires that fast? one hit with a regular one at any range that a shotgun would be used in would turn the thing you're shooting at into meat. i mean, unless you just don't want to aim at all.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    mish, one on one, both people with normal shotties, even battle, one with this versus one with a regular shotgun,, guy with this has the advantage. hell one on 3 with this could still have the advantage.. in combat you always want the advantage. hell even minus the firing speed, the low recoil is awesome as is.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Easy to destroy your enemy that's taking cover. Also to go through body armor. Crush some vehicles like cars or vans. This is designed for urban combat that happens in say Iraq or Israel were something large like a rifle wouldn't work too well. And more important is the fact that it would scare the hell out of your opponent. This type of weapon would make a mob think twice of attacking. Is it overkill maybe but that's part of the point, to make sure anyone hit with this anywhere would not be able to come back for more. If I remember the episode correctly this weapon had rounds that could go through cement.

Alex
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    This one had the small RPG rounds too right? I remember them show a custom made RPG that fits into a shotgun shell casing.

It's definitely all about the shock and awe. And turning anything in its sights into mulch.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Well it was mounted on a humvee like a tank turret or sorts and it went through everything. I do believe it did have explosive rounds. I can't recall though.

Alex
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Psychological affect alone with this thing is crazy, my first thought was "Using this should be a war crime"
    But
    After that, it became apparent how useful this thing would be, especially in anti-vehicle combat and when up against armored targets, etc.

It's like a tommy gun+ shotgun!
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    yeah it has multiple head. High Explosive, Fragmentation and Armor Piercing.

They are like little guided rockets with fins and all the jazz.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    jesus christ . Imagine the damage terrorist factions etc will do with these !
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Don't let the U.S. fearmongering influence you. Terrorists? Imagine the damage the armadillos will do with these!
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Don't let the U.S. fearmongering influence you. Terrorists? Imagine the damage the armadillos will do with these!

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh my god
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    I knew we shouldn't have sold guns to the Armadillos back in the 70's.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    East you know what i mean. And armadillos rule, at least they are tasty in brazil !
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    why didn't they use melons!!?
  • hobodactyl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hobodactyl polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    why didn't they use melons!!?

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty much my only complaint, or ballistics gel dummies would work, too :P
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Armadillos are actually more likely to get their hands on them.

The reality of modern 'terrorist groups' is that while they are certainly military threats, due to the incredible utility with which they can apply force for political goals, they honestly have no funding or organization worth fearing. The sad (and often ignored) truth of 9/11 is that while devastating, it was militarily cheaper than a few of these autoshotguns. Just a couple of (mostly untrained) men, unarmed, attacking incredibly vulnerable targets (planes in midair.)

I'd be more afraid of an american street gang getting their hands on these, they have a much higher chance of it.
  • Cthogua
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cthogua polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    cthogua.. thats why they make different typses of guns,, i seriously doubt they designed this for sniper duels.
    and i'm sure theres still plenty of close combat going on that something like this would be of plenty use.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hehe, yeah totally, I was just trying to think of the disadvantages of such a weapon since everyone was all "OMG" You know, devils advocate and all...Armor would be a problem too I think, obviously if you got pounded by like 10 rounds from the thing it wouldn't be. However it might have more of a tendancy to wound rather than kill an armored target, if it were using a scatter type round, shotguns not being known for their penetrating power and all....although flechette rounds out of something like that would be eeevil. It seems like the availability multiple ammunition type might be the best thing about a weapon like this.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    melons and explosive bullets, please.