Home General Discussion

games / art / feelings..

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
just wanted to know what others who make game art think of games being fine art... i know its an old debate, but there has been some more news recently that i think adds some food for thought.. one is that the French government has declared games art and are offering the same tax break to game companies as other culturally important art forms. Also i work with some artists who have had paintings in the i am 8bit show here in LA, and tonight i am going to go check out this guy http://tmpspace.com/
i love 650 Polygon John Carmack

Carmack1.jpg

so are games culturally important? should we have funds, grants and government tax breaks to further the medium as we do for film,art and music?
and further more where do i sign up for them?

Replies

• aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    yes, they're culturally important. Anything that makes as big an impact on the world as games do is important.

No, I dont think we deserve any funds. Do punk rock bands get government grants? Do most mindless hollywood movies?

Laslty, even if games make a huge cultural impact, I'm still not convinced that it's a positive one. No doubt games are extremely fun... but promoting escapism among people doesnt seem like a very lofty goal.

(<
    devils advocate)
  • dur23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dur23 polycounter lvl 19
    There is two kinds of people i see working in games, there is the people that treat games as "art" and there is people that treat it as a something that pays the bills (or pays for their art they do when they get home).

Also if Ellsworth Kelly gets called an artist (don't get me wrong sometimes his work is pretty) i should be as well.
    (i feel i may get lambasted for this comment).
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    Time to sound like a pompous art douche

You know, this is a very difficult topic for me, although I figure, there are games that feel like a piece of interactive piece of art. Quake 3 is definitely not one of them, the first two Odd World games however, yeah, I could see those being so. For the most part I would consider game work on the same level as Illustration, meaning it's a studio art, not fine art.

It's the same with film, movies like Fellini's Casanova and Gilliam's The Adventures of Baron Munchausen feel so much like a moving painting. However a movie like Transformers or something like that are not.

I am not debating these thing's entertainment value, or that much talent went into the creation of them, I am just debating their "artistic" merit.
  • Slainean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slainean polycounter lvl 18
    Christ, I just lost a long post after firefox crashed...

I think this debate continues because there is a disagreement on the active definition of art. When you ask the definition of art, it is a matter of language and philosophy rather than personal tastes.

Most people use the word exclusively in the context of "greatness", and if we want to talk about categorization that simply won't do because it is too subjective.

I've always had an inclusive view of art, and I believe ANY sort of creative expression from Quake 3 to Finnegans Wake to coloring books can be classified as art. For me, choice is creativity, and creativity is art.

Anyway, games are not very culturally important now, but they will inevitably become more important and more accepted as time goes on.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I am not debating these thing's entertainment value, or that much talent went into the creation of them, I am just debating their "artistic" merit.

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you think a game/movie/whatever has to have that gives them artistic merit?
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you think a game/movie/whatever has to have that gives them artistic merit?

[/ QUOTE ]

When it has the ability to evoke a feeling deeper than oohs and aahs. Usually there is a certain vibe to it as well, you can tell when something was just put together as means to display technical skills or make some bank.

A game that really did do this was Myst. When you played that game you really got the sense of the atmosphere and that you were totally alone in it. However, I play something like gears of war, yeah it looks fantastic but I don't feel anything while playing it, other than "Oh man, time to chainsaw this fucker".

It's the same if I looked at something out of Greg Nicotero's FX studio or a piece by Ron Mueck, technically speaking they are the very similar, however Mueck's work can evoke a deeper feeling.
  • Kevin_Johnstone
    Games are art as much as there is an art to making them.

I'd get bogged down if I went into it too deeply but I think games have proven themselves as worthy of a government
    grant as much as movies had when they become worthy of the same.

We're worth serious money, ergo we are worthy of some concessions as thats how it works.

I think we're at a point now where theres reevaluation of
    what games are; you can't argue you against the cultural importance of them anymore and thats clear in politics.

All I can say and be sure of is that I make art for a living.

Digital Domain commented about the Gears assets we gave
    them, that they were of a higher standard than most of the assets they see used a lot in the movies.

The old lines between us aren't so clear anymore on a visual
    basis and steps are being made further forward on the emotional interaction quality, plot development in games.

k.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    games as art? sure. refer to monsieur duchamp on the subject of art. doesn't make games any good, though, even if they're art.
    i'd recommend tracking down some of the talks Jonathan Blow has given on the subject, far more pressing considerations regarding the production of games.
  • _Gr9yFox_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Gr9yFox_ polycounter lvl 10
    I think games are a form of art (along with the important business part and others there too but this is hot a topic about them).

Now we just have to think that there's good art and bad art.

In my opinion games like Shadow of the Colossus, Metroid Prime and Metal Gear Solid 3 are astounding pieces of art. It's a living, breathing world that makes you feel you're in it. It's a well told story wich can also bring out discussions about them being "interactive movies" mainly because of the cinematic feel.

I think art is missing in most of the recent games mainly because of gamers. They just want MORE MORE MOAR MOAR MOAR! (chriscrocker quote, obriously) and the companies want to make more cash so they churn out games too quickly. Games based in movie licenses and re-hashes of games you've already played dozens of times with slightly different names, shooterguy 9478479 games.

I think some few games are good art and I try to find them all the time, even if they are decades old. Two months ago I was playing "The curse of Monkey Island". smile.gif
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    games as art? sure. refer to monsieur duchamp on the subject of art. doesn't make games any good, though, even if they're art.
    i'd recommend tracking down some of the talks Jonathan Blow has given on the subject, far more pressing considerations regarding the production of games.

[/ QUOTE ]

In all fairness Dada was an anti-art movement, and a joke between the artists involved with it. Duchamp was just having fun with it.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    games are art if art is entertainment.

art based on games can be art. But it usually sucks, like movies based on games.

The john carmack cardboard model is art because it comes from a game but also has meaning, tells a story, and sums up a genre or epoch and movement in time. Just put it in a glass box in a studio at full size. Sell it with cornflakes however...

Titles like Rez and Space channel five part 2, shadow and metal gear are genius, but I wouldn't call them "art". But I would call them an art form.

Remember, programming is called as an art, not science. "The Art of Programming."

So what I'm saying is that subjectively they are not art, but they are an "art.
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    Don't get too ahead of yourselves, if the suits learn that games aren't art, then they will figure that they don't need artists to help make them...
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think CG can be considered fine art. Game art being an extension of that, SOME of it CAN be considered fine art however the vast majority of it falls under just game art.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

In all fairness Dada was an anti-art movement, and a joke between the artists involved with it. Duchamp was just having fun with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

they can have a laugh and also make some very valid points at the same time.
    i think it's more than a little dismissive to downplay their work just because it was prankish and very, very funny--duchamp's work in particular permanently altered what could be considered art, and it's still hilarious/controversial to consider today.
    i'm of the same mind as duchamp most of the time--art more or less equals intentionality.

i think the principle hangup in this discussion is that claiming games are art (or that anything else is art) is considered a value judgment.
    saying that because it's art, that it's good to some degree.
    i say go ahead and declare it art, but don't expect that to be a free pass to be considered quality. walk into any gallery--there's plenty of art that's definitely art, alright, but it's also plenty crap.

game developers should worry less about making art--they already are--than making something of lasting quality or significance. which, properly considered, in no way in conflict with turning a profit, coincidentally.
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    I go to work primarily to create something new, unique and entertaining. That's enough to consider it a proper artform i think.

That it also pays my bills is just an extra advantage =)
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ImSlightlyBored polycounter lvl 13
    to me theres no doubt that games are art - those that are created as such. You get two types - ones that artists make, and ones that are commercial (think, brain training.)

To me, art is what someone who calls themselves an artist produces with intent to show - its the audience who inevitably make the art, successful or not. Its a similar theory to that of E.H. Gombrich, who only stated there is no such thing as art, but artists.

Problem is, is whether they are an inferior platform for artistic endeavours to be shown on - which I'm finding to be difficult to answer. Ebert's gripe when you got down to it was that he says theres a lack of authorial control - but is not everything in games directed and controlled to a degree?

Like most, I consider games to be art, and a great platform to work on, but like cinema, they can be split in to artistic endeavours and quick money makers.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    lol, i can see the headlines now!

JACK THOMPSON ACCUSES GOVERNMENT OF FUNDING TERRORISM VIA COMPUTER GAME!!!
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    Game isnt art, demo scene is. Cause game is supposed to be about fun rather than only pretty visuals.
    Happy?
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    I'm not sure if games are art, and i'm also not sure i care either way. If governments want to tag them as such and it leads to tax breaks and whatever, so much the better. But i sure as hell shouldn't have to try and justify them or what i do by defending them as art.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    One of my friends made a good point, if games want to be considered art then surely we should have more games developers claiming to be artists and acting as such, pushing boundaries, making bold claims? but it seems most of the experimenting is on the indie front and is relatively quiet, or slow progress is made in tentative steps by the big players in order to make sales and sell what always sells. Even as an entertainment medium I think weve got a long way to go before most games on the shelves will hold as much of an emotional experience as good books or films. Doesnt mean they arent art, art is all things to all sorts of people, they are just a young art form. Its up to distributors, game developers, games players and artists like us to make sure that games dont just appeal to the lowest common denominator but actually aspire to be a culturally relevant art form ripe with meaning and significance.
  • Cthogua
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cthogua polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    ...games players and artists like us to make sure that games dont just appeal to the lowest common denominator but actually aspire to be a culturally relevant art form ripe with meaning and significance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly I'm not sure if anything can really be "cultrually significant" in the way things have been in the past. Our culture is only growing more and more fragmented and individualized. I think the music industry is a good example. There cannot be another Nirvana, love them or hate them, they and they're music are used as a cultural milestone. However that can only really happen when theres a dominant voice in the "culture" saying what is "it" right now...back then it was MTV, when it was still playing music and not just a reality TV factory. However now everyone has their own individualized channel on Pandora, you download specifically what you what, and the age of the music video as a must have thing for a band is over. Everyone has to be on the same channel for something to move from being a blip on the radar to becoming a piece of "culture." There doesn't seem to be any kind of unified "cultural" voice anymore...its all just niche-market products, or a million different art movements all happening at the same time...which I think is great in some ways an potentially disasterous in others. On one hand it provides for more content, and hopefully more variety. However, I have to wonder what it does to a society to no longer have anything in common with eachother.
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not really seeing anything different that is in videogames today than what has been done for the past few millenia that should make the art in videogames considered any differently than the art out in the "real world". Other than the stuff out there is made of physical materials, while the stuff in our machines is composed of translated data.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    There is a difference between production art and fine art that I draw, and that line can get murky, but most games tend to fall on the side of production art. Representational, technically excellent, perhaps, but not meant to inspire great feelings beyond those required to entertain. The difference between Transformers and Pan's Labyrinth.

The demo scene versus games being fine art versus production art is an interesting consideration.
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've just done a paper on games being an inferior platform for art (eberts point, once he conceded they could be art)

Fact is theres enough freedom in the platform for artistic endeavours to be created, but the flaw in games is the commercial viability. Art, on the very base definition, is what an artist puts out with intent to be viewed as such; something you can of course do with games, and theres as much or little authorial control as you can get with any other media so anyone who says theres too much interaction for them to be controlled is chatting shit. Play Gears of War and tell me theres alot of interaction in it. You follow the story as you're directed and made to shoot else you fail.

problem is just the creation of the buggers.
    So basically I agree with the above poster.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    to me, the concept of purpose and end result is what defines anything as art or not. i see the video game as more of a medium or means to evoke a feeling or message - to me, it's like calling a tube of paint a piece of art.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Just so I am clear before I post...

The question is: Are VIDEOGAMES art?
    Not: Is videogame ART, art?

Yah?
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A lot of this great, older stuff we have in museums, and that we call "art" without question were commissioned pieces either to sell religion, portray the status of the person painted, or sell patriotism. I mean it seems kind of strange to label games (or the art within games) as less of an artistic achievement just because its doing what other forms of art have been doing for centuries, but for someone or something else. So instead of a painting for the Church to sell Christianity we have a movie to sell a bunch of toys.
  • j_bradford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    j_bradford polycounter lvl 17
    It's an extremely subjective nature to discuss, the word art. Video games to me is a very collaborative art. I look at a director like Ridley Scott and consider him an artist because it's the visionaries like him who are able to channel the energy of a lot of individuals to create amazing works like Blade Runner. The same principle applies to a strong video game designer. I look at a game like Mass Effect and consider it a work for art, again collaborative. UV'ing to me is an art within it's own. The whole process of creating a game character from start to finish is very much art. There are a lot of different angles this subject can be addressed from.
  • Slainean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slainean polycounter lvl 18
    edit: sorry, I misread someone's post, hah.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    I don't know how many of you have taken Art history, Art theory and classes like that. to make a long story short there were a bunch of what could be considered masters that debated this issue of what is art and what is not. They concluded that for something to be art it has to be intended by the creator of the piece to be art. They used the example of a sketch and a drawing. The reason a sketch is not considered art is because the artist doing it was just experimenting at the time and not intending it to be an art piece. I think that's a pretty valid definition for what art is, of course this doesn't mean it's good art. They determined that for something to be considered good art the piece when viewed by other have to get what the original intention of the artist making it was. If the viewer doesn't get what the intention of the piece was easily without any explanations from the artist then the piece wasn't successful. They really didn't measure it on subjective terms though as in if it's pretty or not.

I was wondering if any others here have come across this definition or something similar while they were in their university or just from reading. I'm curious if people that took a fine arts in Europe have come across this. When I finished my degree in Massachusetts at UMass Lowell it just seemed that the art students were not really required to learn art history and had no clue what art by definition was. When I started my fine arts degree in Puerto Rico we had to take two years of art history plus Humanites (four) and several other courses that were similar to a an art + history + philosophy + polical science type deal. We also had to learn a foreign language besides English and Spanish. The BFA was a five year program and if you planned to graduate on time you had to take 18 credits a semester. So it was a pretty intense program if you wanted to graduate on time. So I'm curious what other have experienced in their Fine Arts degree. The reason I mention Europe is because in too many schools in the USA the fine arts program are wishy washy at best. wink.gif

I don't think most studios intend a game to a work of art, but regardless is do see games as an art form.

Alex
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    So I'm curious what other have experienced in their Fine Arts degree.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well not all art schools in the U.S. are like that. I went to NYIT and its Computer Graphics major requires 3 semesters of art history, and a course in aesthetics. Plus the "What is art?" thing was discussed by our Senior thesis class. So, the main definition I have, is that anything intended to be, or labeled as art, is art. Being poorly executed, and completely unaesthetically appealing does not preclude something from being art, it just means its really bad art.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Cool man, just curious. I know there are good art schools in the USA, but I tend to get carried away with my rants. wink.gif So what's your take on games being art?

Alex
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    So I'm curious what other have experienced in their Fine Arts degree.

[/ QUOTE ]
    So, the main definition I have, is that anything intended to be, or labeled as art, is art. Being poorly executed, and completely unaesthetically appealing does not preclude something from being art, it just means its really bad art.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm just finishing an illustration degree after years of higher education in art and this is pretty much verbatim to what I'd say about art and the definition thereof.