Home General Discussion

all a guy ever wanted, was a shot back in theBUIZZ

now in days it seems that, hardworking dedication alone does not get you pass the, !! Sorry but Were looking for a minimum of (3) shipped tiles and Do everything type of average Joe.
I wonder. Is this a min requirement that for the most part VG Companies are looking for due to the increased number or schools specialized in video game making, Flushing out too many students .

And, or I wonder Doesn't this affects the future of those who have the talent, and actual experience.
although my intension was not meant to disrespect those of you are new to the industry as I mentioned above, it was mainly to get your attention.

If you Think about it ! So many schools are coming out of the nowhere offering and guaranteeing you to get you in the buizz!!! regardless of the !! STUDENT !! well you know I'm working two jobs and my grandma it's really sick and i am doing this for her,,,.!! THEM Speaking in Silence !! IN THEIR HEAD!!! YEA WHAT EVER MAN We really don't give a fuck ,,, would you Just sign the GOD DAWN contract so that regardless of whether you suck or happen to be good at it we can secure our next for coming pay check.

I've be interested to find out, how those of you on either side of the Limbo feel about it.

thanks.

Replies

• Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah you see those requirements all the time, and sometimes your portfolio actually is good enough regardless of experience. Wouldn't hurt to send it in anyway...nothing to lose.

You have the !! WEIRDEST !! typing mannerisms I have !!EVER seen

And this should be FAQ.
  • foreverendering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    foreverendering polycounter lvl 12
    Is this post a joke?
  • Oneil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nope it is not a Joke.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Shipped titles mean jack, really. If you're a super good artist who's shipped no titles, you'll get the job over someone who's very mediocre, but has 3 shipped titles.

They're "prefer" someone with shipped titles, because it shows that you can work in a team and follow games through to completion, which isn't an easy thing. But I wouldn't say it's super important criteria.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    It is the "I am beyond frustrated" type mannerisms with the CAPS lock and angry typos.

BUT anyways..I would just send in portfolio anyways...and it is the timing that also is taken into account.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    I went to a school here in Melbourne which will remain nameless (Academy of Interactive Entertainment :P), which runs a "Game Development" course for artists and programmers.
    Attending this school did not get me my job, nor did get a job for the countless of the other students that attended and applied at my studio. Not because they lacked shipped titles, but because their work was under par for what we were looking for.
    The school that I attended (with gavku and Whiteeagle), didn't do a good job of teaching us anything game related as far as I'm concerned. I only studied there for the first year and didn't bother returning for the second.
    I'm sure there are quality schools out there that will get you a job after graduating, but not if your work looks like shit.

To be honest, dude. The only way you'll get a job in the industry without experience is through a shitload of practice, working hard, and having solid work to show.
    I'd hire a newbie with a solid folio, over someone that made shit art but has shipped 3 titles.
    Work on some art > post here > get crits > get better > get a job! You only get out what you put in, good luck.

-caseyjones
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    I don't understand what you are saying in your post, Oneil. Some parts I do understand, but then there's something about your sick grandma and "THEM" speaking in silence in someone's head?

I feel like I'm in a David Lynch movie, and I don't know how I'm suppose to feel about that.

[EDIT] Apparently some people -do- understand, so I'll just scoot sideways out of this thread. Later.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    well it's a business that can be hard to get into. but you knew that before signing up for a school? the warnings are plastered all over the internet, really.
  • Oneil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks to those of you who have repplied so far. does any one else have a anything else to add.

thank you guys.
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    anytime you see a job posting, its for a dream candidate. In reality, the company will usually take what they can get. If a dream candidate comes by; they're certain to get the interview, but it's not like they'll ignore good portfolios from fresh faces.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To make the point clear...shipped titles are more like an assurance...
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    I understand what you are saying man, especially in a small country like mine. Places like Weta say "must have feature film experience", like okay, I'll get it from one of the non-existant alternatives here, who if they existed would also specify "must have feature film experience". I don't know how the entire industry started here if not without experience and with a couple imports.

Somehow I ended up "breaking in" to the games industry, dont ask me how confused.gif
  • foreverendering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    foreverendering polycounter lvl 12
    [ QUOTE ]
    nope it is not a Joke.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry about that. Just couldn't tell (based on the typing)

I'd say you don't need shipped titles, just a solid portfolio. If you can do what's required, someone will give you that first opportunity.

After all everyone needs to start somewhere. People arent born with shipped title experience
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Ok to add on to what's been said: yes they are looking for a perfect candidate, but will settle for less, but that less must still be talented.

All employment postings are written this way. The "requirements" section is a sort of first screen. If you are to intimidated to apply, that is one less resume that HR has to sort through. (Of course don't go applying for Senior positions if you have no pro experience either)

If you DO have the skills, apply. Preferably find a friend who works with the company you want to apply to and have them forward your resume in. I got an interview this way. Didn't get the job (obviously), but I obviously wasn't the most talented applicant. Even still having someone already working in the company to pass on your stuff usually gives a rather large + to your chances of at least getting to the interview stage. Its sorta like the mob in that regard. If someone on the inside can vouch for you, then you have a better chance at getting in.

This is a great place to network. Just being here, being a regular, and honing your skills (publicly), gives you a great edge, as I swear this has to be one of the, if not the largest online collection of game art professionals in the world. (course that also means you should not alienate yourself from this group either. heh) Also if you are in Cali (as your location says), you might be able to get yourself an internship position with a studio, depending on where you are. Heck get a QA job just to get your foot in the door and have a chance to maybe talk to the art staff now and again. At least you'd already be an employee. laugh.gif
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If fact in regards to that that's how I got my opportunity...just now actually heh.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    I mean no offense, Oneil, but I think you need to work on your written communication skills. I'm thinking future potential employers may be turned off by your cover letter alone.
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    sometimes it's just about being lucky.... being good enough to fill a spot that needs to be filled at a certain, exact moment they need someone to fill a spot.

Of course... once you get in you got to put your face to the grindstone and work your ass off to get better in order to stick around longer, or get better to get another job.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    less time bitching and crying and more time working on your art, i just scoped out your portfolio and its not really up to snuff to whats expected in this "buizz" nowdays. so more practice and less.. whatever your original post was
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    i can hardly understand most the shit in this thread, i'd like to just type into the noise that is this thread:
    1. if you have value to a game development team, you should have no problem getting a job. even if you aren't a good addition, there are still ways to get in and be a waste of space. experience can be valuable.
    2. the "flush" of game school graduates, i feel, are not harming the industry. a lot of great new talents are becoming realized; out with the old in with the new. the industry is growing, and new companies are being created that need you, or so they may be convinced. there are developers that move to different professions due to the loss of interest, etc, etc. those slots need to be filled. those things being said, there isn't room for everyone. place yourself in a manager's shoes, or, at some places where it matters, place yourself in a pationate, dedicated developers' position: what kind of people do you want to work with? what kind of talent do you want associated with your product? a knowledgeable, talented, smart, dependable, approachable, easy-going dude or chick is what you want.
    3. if you're not that person, and you want to be, become that person.
    4. i wouldn't imagine you need 3 years experience. however some may require it. same with a degree, some require that. every studio works in a different way.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The first post on this thread pretty much says it all...
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    like Rhinokey says. Less talk more art! Seriously.
  • dom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dom polycounter lvl 18
    everyone wants!a shot in THE BUIZZ.

1. portfolio, if it's good you don't have to worry about shipped titles.

2. get any 3d job available to start off with if the above mentioned doesn't work.

3. don't blame anyone or anything else. it becomes a habit for you to find an excuse.

My first job was a short termed contract, getting paid less than 1k a month doing character motion for some kids music video that was probably screened only once on tv. and doing overtime everyday.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    Guess what, when schools guarantee jobs in the industry.. They mean QA... They reiterate that throughout the program. That way they can claim to have a 90% job placement. Most of the time it's money thrown in the wind.

Portfolio will overshadow any lack of experience you may have so hard work pays dividents in the end.

Regardless, everyone has to start somewhere... Few people have fond memories of breaking into the industry early on.
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    [ QUOTE ]
    Guess what, when schools guarantee jobs in the industry.. They mean QA... They reiterate that throughout the program. That way they can claim to have a 90% job placement. Most of the time it's money thrown in the wind.

Portfolio will overshadow any lack of experience you may have so hard work pays dividents in the end.

Regardless, everyone has to start somewhere... Few people have fond memories of breaking into the industry early on.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's better than my animation program... the college advertised 90% graduate employment rate... it mentioned nothing about being employed in your field of study. ooo.gif

If I had ditched it and gone to work for starbucks, I probably would've made more in the first 2 years out of school than I did in the field, too.
  • Oneil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I got to say thanks for all of your suggestions they've all been of great help. To me this has been like a punch to the face and wake up to reality experience, I cant tell you all how great-full I am. but enough with that, the reason why I made the first post was mainly because I had made a transition of careers from having previously worked in the game industry to another field, but in the long run I realized that I made a mistake. and now I am trying to make a come back, and obviously my problem was that I was spec ting for this to be an easy thing to do, and it turned that it wasn't I guess that means back to the drawing board.

so thanks for sharing your thoughts,I am really glad that joined this forum.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Glad to know you've taken what other people said fairly well...
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    yeah get a job in games. what fun.\;0
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Oniel, you should know one thing....Rhinokey is a ninja, he can do things like that:) After looking at your portfolio I would say there are a few areas to improve upon before sending out your work in mass. Yes, it does suck to come up against the 3 titles 3 yrs experience if you haven't worked or done those, but I have seen people get in day one from college due to there work being solid. So I would suggest going back and either bring up certian pieces to a higher degree, or start some new pieces and work on it. Hard work pays off, and if I see someone with alot of work I know that they will work harder than someone that has a few pieces to show off. Good luck, and if english isn't your first language, have someone read off anything that you are going to send out to help.

Spark
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

its just like the movies man laugh.gif
  • Jay Evans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jay Evans polycounter lvl 18
    not to be negative, but really you should correct the spelling\grammar on your web portfolio. I'm the worst typist at times, but I can rock a spellchecker:P People see misspelled words and judge you a bit even if its not intentional, and even if it's beside great artwork.

*spellchecked courtesy of Google Toolbar
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    we followed your posted avatar back to your portfolio. the internet is full of paper trails
  • Oneil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey I guess you really are a Ninja like Spark said you know the tricks.
    Kudos to that.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Portfolio?

Move it somewhere that isn't Geocities. You can have free hosting without it wearing the badge of free hosting.

The intro is a biography of you. No-one wants to know that, they want to see art. It also makes you look indecisive - what if you get a job and decide again that its not right for you? You've done it twice already. I'd probably be put off from hiring you based purely on the intro page, so unless your artwork is going to make me change my mind, drop that intro page.

The actual site looks weak. You don't need anything fancy - images on a gray background will do.

You art is ok, but there's not enough of it to make an informed decision.

Your CV looks like a copy and paste from some online CV site

* Reliable, motivated, organized, hardworking and attentive to detail.
    * Able to learn quickly and apply knowledge to new applications.
    * Able to work independently or with a team.

Those are all stock answers, and as such are looked upon as lazy CV content. You want your skills to say "Look at ME! I can be of benefit to you!"

For example, my last CV had:

Abilities include
    • Low and high polygon character and environment
    modelling including rigging and facial setup
    • UV mapping and texturing
    • Max scripting to automate art processes and build useful pipeline tools

Hardware Platform Experience
    • PC, PS1, PS2, Xbox, Gamecube, GBC, GBA

Boom - I can do this, this and this, and I've worked with the following hardware so know its limitations.
  • Oneil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you're right the whole intro page thing it's too much BS. and my CV. needs alot of tweaking. Great tips man.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actualy Justin was the ninja that tracked it. I'm more of the fat guy in the expenive chair stroking some sort of pet. Giving orders and proffiting from the hard work of others.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

its just like the movies man laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

it's just like tightening up the graphics in level 3 frown.gif
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    Shin Shoryuken!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    try not to freak out, stay calm, I used to be super freak out man and it really held me back. Just work on getting an up to date portfolio together, maybe try making some assets for UT3 (or UT2k4 if your comp is slow like mine). Don't try to be a 3d generalist, unless you're already awesome at everything it will take longer to become an awesome environment/character/fx/concept than to choose a specific niche and focus on that.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3 years or 3 titles actually is HR short hand for; "We don't want to train you, so on top of being a good artist, you'll need to know how to work under deadlines and with restrictions".

I know it can seem like the man is trying to keep you down. But really it's your portfolio and what it contains that keeps you out, even if all you manage to hear back is "its not you, its us" Dear John letters.

I don't know a single place that would turn down an outstanding first time artist that demonstrates they can do the job. Normally thats an awesome person to pick up, hardly jaded, egger to learn and willing to work, often for a cheaper wage and normally pretty loyal to the place that gives them their first shot. Employers love those guys, its like getting a rockstar without all the diva hang ups. But you need a rockstars portfolio before you can be treated like a rockstar.

Portfolio crits:
    - Drop the 2D section, everything looks like it was etched in stone or beveled/embossed hardly any form or depth. It's your weakest section and since you're only as strong as your weakest piece cut it out like cancer or polish it up so it shines brighter.
    - The layout is rock solid and I would consider it perfect. Except it would be nice to have any image you click on have links to the wire and normal mapped version.
    - Instead of doing wire renders of your scenes, take a screen shot of a shaded viewport with wire overlay or edged faces turned on. That way the lines in the back won't interfere.
    - Drop the defuse textures when displaying the normals, use flat gray instead. That way people aren't left guessing what lighting info is baked into the defuse and what is actually normal map. Also displaying the texture flats will help A LOT.
    Consider it a LOW priority but you might want to get your own domain name. Really it doesn't matter but it seems a TINY bit more professional and gives you some nice features to work with, its cheap too. If you plan on getting your name out there and rubbing some elbows and dropping a few demo reels in peoples pockets it might be helpful to have something short and memorable. http:\\www.myfreeiphostsuckselephantcock.net\freephotobucket\userid\myhome\blog\mynutsareonfire\ isn't all that easy to say or remember... but www.Oneilart.com is. It's just one tiny thing, and it wouldn't actually sway anyone to hire you but it might help you feel more professional and help you take this seriously.

http://geocities.com/giovannireynoza/outdoorscene01.htm
    Awesome lighting, good atmosphere, nice camera angle. But the modeling and textures are too clean. The razor wire is too straight and the edges on the building are very sharp. Considering how few polys it would take to round the corners slightly and the impact it would have on the realism I think it far outweighs any perceived draw backs a few extra polys might have.

http://geocities.com/giovannireynoza/outdoorscene02.htm
    What kind of environment is this, race track, FPS jungle scene?
    The textures don't blend and there is a lot of stretching. All the plant life looks like it is made of the same leaf texture, even though the shape, size and trunk seem to indicate it should be different. With the exception of the billboard trees that look like flat photos that have different lighting info then your scene, with hastily painted transparencies.

http://geocities.com/giovannireynoza/room01.htm
    Very old, very cracked, very straight lines. Especially around the pretty new looking grate. A few well placed cuts and a few rocks on the ground would help.
    Each doorway/tomb has little root or snake like tubes, those tubes seem pretty high poly and quite a few of those polys are hidden. I bet you could easily shave out 400-ish polys by redoing those pieces. Then you can bevel some edges and break up some straight lines.
    Are those chains hanging from the center thing? Vines? What is it?

http://geocities.com/giovannireynoza/carfront.htm
    Great piece, good style and I would urge you to start up new stuff with this same theme.
  • Oneil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin/Vig thanks for your input guys , I'll stop been a 3D generalist and Focus on working on Environment related stuff instead just because that's an are that interests me the most.
    Vig thanks for talking the time to write down the changes that you think would help improve my work. I'll get to work on some of that as soon as i get a chance.
    hoh yea about the 2D section it will be as good as gone, I 'll chop it off like a cancer Tumor ,,