Home General Discussion

Assasins Creed PC: minimum requirements high

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/?p=970#more-970

[ QUOTE ]
Processor: Dual core processor 2.6 GHz Intel Pentium D or AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ (Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2 GHz or AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ or better recommended)

RAM: 2 GB (3 GB recommended)

Video Card: 256 MB DirectX 10.0–compliant video card or DirectX 9.0–compliant card with Shader Model 3.0 or higher (512 MB video card recommended)

[/ QUOTE ]

That's... quite severe, isn't it? It seems you wont be able to just run it on lower settings. Especially the dual-core requirement is pretty harsh. I know they're fairly common these days, but my computer isn't that old, and it's single-core.

Replies

• Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    yeah thats rediculous, oh man and its actually true and not just rumour frown.gif

I think the major reason call of duty 4 sold much much more than crysis was the steep system requirements cause theyre both great games. Ubisoft should learn from this mistake.

http://www.digitalbattle.com/2007/12/15/crysis-ut3-sales-disappoint/
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    hey, if they post super high system reqs it must be super good game rite? Adds hype. This is what they want.

If that's not painful enough then check out Guitar Hero III for Windows.
  • rebb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rebb polycounter lvl 17
    Those requirements are a laugh.
    The 360 has what, 512MB of RAM ?
    They must have given their artists some really silly "freedoms" for the PC Version, something like "yeah whatever, we don't care, just put all that highres and extra shit in that you always wanted" without a sensible hardware-target.

Some companies really seem to try and deliberately fuck up PC Versions these days.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    arg, only at the ram do I fail.
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ImSlightlyBored polycounter lvl 13
    I failed a tiny bit on the CPU but no doubt itll still run.

But yeah its a piss take with these ports especially, considering theyre asking more than the current versions run on. 360 has 512mb yeah.

Shame Assassins Creed isnt even very good. Played it for a while, got so bored. Incredible let down. It went from Collectors edition being pre-ordered to a cancelled pre-order and I don't even want it as a gift on valentines day.
  • rebb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rebb polycounter lvl 17
    I was really hyped for this game, up until i learned who you really play in the game and how it starts off. That was the first big let-down.

These "bleh, too busy counting the monies" System Reqs are the second one.
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I think it's more with the resolution. You can probably run it with 360 specs, but at the lower resolution it was rendered at (I believe it was rendered at 1024x576 or less, then upscaled - like Halo3). The higher resolutions people play will obviously require a hell of a lot more power.
    I can play Crysis silky smooth at 1184x768, but 1650x1080 is a meager 10-15fps.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Higher resolutions, plus I would assume that the Windows OS running in the background is a lot more stressful than having the 360's OS running.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    I'll be setting the texture and shadow resolutions for this game down to 128x128 and turning off extra things the game doesn't need.
    light beams with 32 segments?
    Please.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Just slightly surpassed what I have...
  • rebb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rebb polycounter lvl 17
    Do higher screen resolutions really blow up the use of System RAM all that much ? I thought its mostly a problem for the GPU when stuff like Deferred Shading is being used. Could be wrong tho.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    it'll be wicked sick to mod though... it's the way spiderman should have been blush.gif
  • CrazyButcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
    the main difference of RAM in consoles and PC stuff is that the driver might do more shadowing of textures. That is textures are inside Video RAM AND regular RAM. Reason for that is that mostly PC hardware is made to run "anything" so even if your scene uses more texture memory then your card has, the driver will swap out textures (hence needs a copy in RAM).

however even then the 2 gb arent justified. There was a rough estimation of RAM costs over at a thread on beyond3d, where they come like around 1.5 gig. considering that the theoretical worst that could happen is doubling the video memory which for ps3 is like 256 megs, that 1.5 still seems far fetched and assumes like 1 gig in textures rest for OS and game... and the game itself cant be very RAM heavy in consoles either..

they probably give a damn on PC, and didnt want to optimized one bit or so... who knows, maybe they have a deal with MS to boost ram sales, so noone complains about vista and office needing more wink.gif
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saidin311 polycounter lvl 11
    [ QUOTE ]
    I was really hyped for this game, up until i learned who you really play in the game and how it starts off. That was the first big let-down.

These "bleh, too busy counting the monies" System Reqs are the second one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats unfortunate, that was one of the coolest things about the game to me! I was amazed they managed to keep the secret for so long.

I wouldn't be upgrading your system for the game though. And those are some steep requirements imo. It looks amazing on the xbox 360, and is VERY smooth. But overall I was disappointed with the repetitive gameplay. Was worth the xbox game, but I wouldn't be spending a whack of cash to upgrade just for this!