Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Demon Maquette

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Tully polycounter lvl 18
Whoever checks out the "what are you working on?" thread might have seen my WIPs of this, but as now it is COMPLETED, MoP told me to make my own thread (and who am I to refuse?).

His name is Javier (pronounced as the Spanish do). He enjoys long walks on the beach and buffalo wings.
demon_sculpt_tn.jpg
He's made mostly with aluminum foil and super sculpey, with a fair bit of plumber's epoxy putty, armature wire and super glue. Paint and a couple different sorts of varnish as well, of course. He's about 8" tall, but I haven't really measured.

I'd happily accept any critiques people have to offer, but it's a tad too late to do much of anything about it now smile.gif If anybody has anything to pipe up with, I'll keep it in mind for the next one! I've learned a bunch about maquette making with this guy, so I'm thinking any further forays into the medium are likely to meet with favourable results.

Cheers!

Replies

• Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    oooh he came out very delicious .. I am really liking the subtle transitions of the texture colour. .. from cool blue/grey to the more fleshy extremities...
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    That's pretty damn awesome, makes me wanna try it too.
  • Carl Brannstrom
    It's awesome!

Only thing that I can think of is the teeth. Usually animals (and monsters?) have ugly and bad teeth. You should make them look cracked and discolored.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    can I get a blow-up doll version of this?

because it's the sexiest thing I've seen this month.

ba-dum-csh.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    About damn time this got spun out into its own post smile.gif

Needless to say, this sets up some pretty big expectations for any future sculpture projects of yours... planned and executed beyond my range of expertise, I'll say that.
    a minor crit would be that I'd maybe want to see some variation in the skin, glossiness-wise--the teeth and eyes stand out wonderfully, but I can't help but feel like it might be nice to see some of that wet/slick feel on the pinkish forelimbs or something... I don't know. Or maybe in those pinkish recesses on the back, something to help sell a somewhat more believable variation in surface.
    Like if you've ever held a bullfrog--the belly is almost creepily smooth and soft by comparison to the dorsal surface. granted, Javier is obviously more reptilian, but I think that's an idea to explore, if later. I myself would bew perfectly happy with Javier as he is now--hope you post more work around here more often!
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i would like to say
    that thats one of the most amazing sculpts ive ever seen, and makes makes me wanna learn too. crazy skills. have nothin else to say.

my only crit:
    make moar and show!!

lol i kid.

amazing wrk though! just brilliant
  • MAUL0r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MAUL0r polycounter lvl 18
    I'm curious what paint you used, and how you plan to make sure that it wont rub off.

great sculpture!
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    awesome sculpture!

i like buffalo wings too!!! maybe we're related.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    About damn time this got spun out into its own post smile.gif

Needless to say, this sets up some pretty big expectations for any future sculpture projects of yours... planned and executed beyond my range of expertise, I'll say that.
    a minor crit would be that I'd maybe want to see some variation in the skin, glossiness-wise--the teeth and eyes stand out wonderfully, but I can't help but feel like it might be nice to see some of that wet/slick feel on the pinkish forelimbs or something... I don't know. Or maybe in those pinkish recesses on the back, something to help sell a somewhat more believable variation in surface.
    Like if you've ever held a bullfrog--the belly is almost creepily smooth and soft by comparison to the dorsal surface. granted, Javier is obviously more reptilian, but I think that's an idea to explore, if later. I myself would bew perfectly happy with Javier as he is now--hope you post more work around here more often!

[/ QUOTE ]

Guass hit pretty much everything I would critique on it. Although I would also give the teeth a little color variation, a little bit of oranges and pinks, perhaps a pale green.

Though it seriously looks awesome.
  • kongni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kongni polycounter lvl 17
    WOW! AWEsome! The only thing I would suggest is that you take better photos of the finished piece. This is definitely a competition winner! smile.gif
  • foreverendering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    foreverendering polycounter lvl 12
    Outstanding work!
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    Dang! that is sick! I think Im gonna take a month off this summer and try something like this. So awesome.
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    Badass, love the bits of skin stretched over the tendons and such.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    for photographing, might I suggest the $10 Macro Photo Studio? I'm going to try and rig one up soon.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    oh my god.

I would totally get a poster of this, just put a nice background on it and bam sold
  • Spacey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spacey polycounter lvl 18
    Damn, that's awesome!
  • Darksun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darksun polycounter lvl 18
    Holy Crap man... I saw the wip stuff.. but DAMN! The paint job just brings this to life!
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    this rocks! now I want to see one with armour smile.gif

Have you worked with these materials many times before? I always wanted to make maquettes when I was small.
  • Sa74n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sa74n polycounter lvl 18
    this is incredible smile.gif great work!
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Lovely work Tully.

Could you post the WIP shots you mentioned, please. My poor crippled internet has enough trouble loading a page with a couple of pictures. It'd take me hours to dredge through the "What Are You Working On" thread.

Cheers.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amazing work, are you going to be entering the dom war by yourself this year?
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Tully make some more, look great.

Alex
  • Mansir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mansir polycounter lvl 18
    Oh holy hell that thing is nice!

Did you make any concepts beforehand? I'd give my left nut to see those.
  • veteehrri
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    veteehrri polycounter lvl 17
    awesome, it look great.
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    "fuckin bitchin" comes to mind.... that is all. :O
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    He enjoys long walks on the beach and buffalo wings... Oh and devouring children, cattle and small annoying dogs that pee on his mailbox post.

Looks great, I've really enjoyed the progress, its great to see it painted. I kept waiting for you to get side tracked by another project and never finish. Nice work and kudos on finishing =)
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    beautiful work Tully!

- BoBo
  • Tully
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tully polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks everybody!

Maul0r: I used Citadel Miniature paints, which tbh, aren't the greatest and I probably won't use them again (unless I'm too lazy to find new ones). Their colour just isn't very vibrant. The stuff's not likely to rub off because it's sprayed with satin varnish and then had gloss varnish in the shiny parts. Varnish doesn't come off easily smile.gif

Earthquake: I'm thinking I'll enter the concept side, but I'm not sure I have the will to do both a full concept (which I very much want to do) and a full model (which would be nice to try, but I'm not as gung ho on). I think that'd be stretching myself too thin, when the competition will be crazy fierce on both sides. I don't know if MoP will do a model of whatever concept I do--I guess it depends on how much he likes what I come up with, or if we're even allowed! I don't think joint entries for one model are permitted like they have been before.

Gauss: Thanks for the crits! In real life, the differences in his shininess actually come across a little better--the lighting wasn't the greatest here. He has a fair bit of the gloss varnish dry brushed all over him, especially on his more darkly pigmented bits. I have held many a bullfrog and I do know what you mean smile.gif It's certainly something to think about for the next one, but I'll have to explore a bit more how to get varied materials. It can be quite a difficult thing to do in a maquette, I'm finding.

Jackablade, here's the most relevant WIP for you to see:
    demon_sculpt_01.jpg
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    this is fantastic tully,gotta admit I havent seen this yet (havent been keeping up with the WIP thread frown.gif ) but it looks fantastic.

I'm just wondering,where do you get your super sculpey from?
    I've had a play with some in the states on one of my trips but haven't found anywhere to buy some here in the UK. (I don't live near any art shops that sell non-mainstream materials)...any ideas?

Again,very impressive work.

John
  • Tully
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tully polycounter lvl 18
    Bronco: Super sculpey is definitely really hard to find in Europe...especially in shops. The only shop I've ever found it in was one in Newcastle, but that was after I bought mine from http://www.polymerclaypit.co.uk/. Quite snappy delivery--I was very happy with them.
  • cyborgguineapig
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cyborgguineapig polycounter lvl 14
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Love the porous details and the tissue work on this piece.
  • chip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chip polycounter lvl 18
    Sweet work, Tully, great choice of pose, dynamic from all angles. The paint may be less than vibrant but it seems to suit the subject just fine.

You shoulda designed the Ghostbusters hellhounds (but maybe you was a tad too youngish, then? wink.gif)
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    i can't save the images to your folder, i left my hardrive at home :\

a very nice sculpture, Tully! you're a very talented artist. you set out to show you could manage this medium and i would say you succeeded in spades.

an impressive piece and great job!
  • ThE_BirD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThE_BirD polycounter lvl 18
    Tully, this is insane... The paint job came out great!!! Although it does make me sad that you painted the original so I can't get a resin cast to add to my collection:(
  • X-One
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    X-One polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome, I'd buy one. I can't imagine the amount of time sunk into that, but in my opinion it was totally worth it.
  • Tully
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tully polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks guys! I'm glad everybody likes him smile.gif

Chip: I think I was still a foetus then. Unless it was ghostbusters 2--I was about 5 years past foetus at that point smirk.gif

ThE_BirD: A couple people have mentioned casts! With this guy it's pretty much impossible though tongue.gif His armature's constructed in such a way as to make me pull my eyes out of their sockets if I tried to cast it (too many undercuts). I have to say I've considered it, but the mucking about I'd have to do wouldn't be any fun, and I just want these to be my thing I look forward to doing when I get home in the evening smile.gif

X-one: It took about a month of work--spent evenings and weekends. I wasn't counting hours either, but probably a fair few!

I just started a new maquette last night (I've provisionally called him Mister Chompy). Would anybody be interested in seeing more extensive progress thread on it? I can't promise to finish (though I think I will.. it's hard to leave these things lying about), but I can promise to keep the camera next to me as I trudge along smile.gif
  • Nate Broach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nate Broach polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    Would anybody be interested in seeing more extensive progress thread on it?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes please
  • chip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chip polycounter lvl 18
    I second the request with "pretty" and "with sugar on top" added for good measure laugh.gif
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome work Tully!! And definitely post any progress sculpts you have going.
  • rybeck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Beautiful piece, Tully..
    I truly enjoyed watching your sculpt as much as I enjoyed your awesome paintings on your site.
    Of course it would be great if you can spend extra times to share more details in step-by-step manner..
    Just pull it out my old bookmarks, and here is the link I used for my sculpt project I did in last year of art school.
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=18287&highlight=maquette+dvd
    Not sure he managed to develop tutorial video yet though..

Rybeck
  • struve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    struve polycounter lvl 18
    Amazing work Tully, I want one!
  • rybeck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

Just pull it out my old bookmarks, and here is the link I used for my sculpt project I did in last year of art school.
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=18287&highlight=maquette+dvd
    Not sure he managed to develop tutorial video yet though..

Rybeck

[/ QUOTE ]

Found the Peter Konig's DVD link... if anyone is interested in~
    http://www.createspace.com/226183