Home General Discussion

oscars - call 'em

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
danr interpolator
list here :
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7202652.stm

i'm calling them, not based on favourites, but on oscarish hunches. I'm usually pretty good on this ...

Picture - Atonement

Director - coens (why else would they drop the atonement director?)

Actor - day-lewis

actress - julie christie (no idea what this film is, but she's been nominated to win. Plain as day)

supporting actor - javier bardem

supporting actress - the atonement woman (balances it out y'see)

Replies

• Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    I think the Writer's Strike will win best everything.
  • Malekyth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malekyth polycounter lvl 18
    Goddammit, Claudio Fragazzo and Bio-Dome have both been overlooked. AGAIN.
  • seantree
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seantree polycounter lvl 18
    some shite on there. guess I'll be skipping them again this year.
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    That's awesome that Ellen Page is up for Best Actress. I would have liked to see 3:10 To Yuma in more categories. . .
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    I think the Writer's Strike will win best everything.

[/ QUOTE ]

rofl
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    timecop is going to go back in time and take picture of the year, like it does every year.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    I'll take some wild stabs. smile.gif

Best Movie - No Country

Best Director - Coen Brothers

Best Actor - Daniel Day-Lewis

Best Actress - Ellen Page

Supporting Actress - Ruby Dee

Supporting Actor - Javier Bardem
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saidin311 polycounter lvl 11
    Lovin the Oscars. I hope they don't get canned because of the strike. I'd love to call em based on the movies I liked, but thats never what an oscar pool is about! I'll comment on my choices too. These are my favourite categories (and the ones worth the most points in my oscar pool!)

My Pics

Best Picture - Attonement (They won't give it to Juno for subject matter but this could get switched for No Country if they don't give the Coens a Directing Nod)

Director - Coens (No Country) (They won't give it to the Director of Juno because they will give the movie the writing nod, this will be a split year again)

Best Actor - Daniel Day-Lewis (There Will Be Blood) (He deserves another Oscar after 20 years, this is also a nomination for the film because Oscar wants to recognize its a good movie just not in the Film/Direct category)

Best Actress - Cate Blanchett (Elizabeth 2) (Giving this to her because she didn't win for the first time she played the Queen. Although it will be a toss up. She'll win an oscar for sure whether its supporting or not for her Bob Dylan roll.)

Supporting Actor - Jaview Barden (No Country) (He carries a lot of the film so this is probably a given)

Supporting Actress - Saoirse Ronan (Attonement) (This is probably the hardest category sofar to predict this year, this is a complete guess for me.)

Adapted Screenplay - No Country for Old Men (Coens writing and screenplays are generally flawless and Oscar will recognize that)

Original Screenplay - Juno (I think this should be fairly obvious, Oscar never awards funny/feelgood/controvercial movies unless its in these supporting categories.)

Documentary Feature - Opperation Homecoming (Moore got upstaged by the war docs this year. Sicko wasn't bad, but he's already got his oscar. Although No End in Sight might also be a good pick)

Animated Feature - Surfs Up

Cinematography - Roger Deakins (He is going to win this year, but its a toss up as to which movie it's going to be. I'd wager to say No Country)

Editing - The Bourne Ultimatum (Faced Paced action flick carried by the quick cuts and editing. This guy was also nominated for Flight '93 which could also be a nod for last year)

Effects - Transformers (This was my favourite of the 3 from an action/art prespective. I only hope that Oscar realizes the 100,000+ moving parts in Ironhides gun! hah)

Costumes - Elizabeth (Period pieces seem to always win this one)
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Best picture: Michael Clayton
    Best director: Coen brothers
    Best actor: George Clooney
    Best actress: Cate Blanchett
    Best supporting actress: Ruby Dee
    Best supporting actor: Philip Seymour Hoffman
    Best animated feature film: Ratatouille
    Best visual effects: Transformers
    Best art direction: Sweeney Todd
    Best sound editing: The Bourne Ultimatum
    Best film editing: The Bourne Ultimatum
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    It was a fine year for the Oscars...as there were more titles worth watching...

Best Animated: "Ratatouille"
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    I vote Daniel Day-Lewis to win it all.