Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Few head sculpts.

Piotr Słomowicz
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Piotr Słomowicz polycounter lvl 17
I did them in last few months. I guess I should make em higher rez (they are 1.4m) to add more detail to ze hair but meh. There is only so much hair you can sculpt before going insane.

g1_fin.jpg
g2_fin.jpg
g3_fin.jpg
g4_fin.jpg
g5_fin.jpg
g6_fin.jpg

Replies

• cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Crazy stuff, man. Great variety too! I enjoyed looking, so thank you for posting. smile.gif
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    uh that monkey rocks!
    i think the heads are great too, the lips are awesome!
    but i think, that you could improve the shape of the eyes, sometimes they seam to be a little to small and in most cases theycould be way less like an oval pinched on the sides.
    damn my english, hope you understood me laugh.gif
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    kick ass. I really like the boy and the monkey

- BoBo
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    i think the pores everywhere on everything looks bad and detracts from the otherwise badassness of the sculpts.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    mind if I ask what your workflow was for creating those overlapping scales on the monster/demon head?
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    Mohawk Monkey is my new best friend.
  • soulstice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    soulstice polycounter lvl 9
    The mohawk sure fits the expression of that monkey lol. Awesome sculpts! keep it up!
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    [ QUOTE ]
    i think the pores everywhere on everything looks bad and detracts from the otherwise badassness of the sculpts.

[/ QUOTE ]
    qft the sculpts are sweet, but the pores are too strong visually. monkey's skin is brilliant
    edit: last guy reminds me of lee van cleef
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Fatastic stuff man.

To add to the pores thing, try to restrict them more to the areas where pores are more prominant on the face like the nose. As is they're a bit too... everywhere.
  • Piotr Słomowicz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Piotr Słomowicz polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah I was expecting people to like ze monkey.

Anyway the pores thingy. Yes and no. Are they strong the way they look now. Of course. Black ambient, shiny material, strong cavity (maybe a lil too strong) and faced shading on pores that are at poly level already.

Now render that head out with SSS material with shaded polygons and no or weaker cavity and they at best stay at 50% of their strengh.

But yeah they might be a litle bit weaker on the sides of faces because they look off to me in that place now.

And about the scales. Well lots and lots of standard brush. I just painted first their outline, and then made another pass with making em bulge. On top of that I used smoothing from 2-3 sides of each scale to get the blocky look.
  • Por@szek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Por@szek polycounter lvl 18
    Hi buddy.
    Very kickass stuff U have here. My favorite is first one (i love detail and proportions) boy (so sweet hehe) and monkey ( hua monkey FTW ).

I'm hoping your job hunting will succeed soon mate, I'm keeping thumbs for U.

Gl and tc wink.gif
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I think the pores are too samey , ie a like a noise texture , distributed uniformly over the whole head. The need some variety in both size and look.
    nice sculpts though:)
  • Darksun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darksun polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

Anyway the pores thingy. Yes and no. Are they strong the way they look now. Of course. Black ambient, shiny material, strong cavity (maybe a lil too strong) and faced shading on pores that are at poly level already.

[/ QUOTE ]
    true dat. I like the pores and I think they would look fantastic with the right material & shaders. It's cool to have a more clean sculpt, but there is a point at which you are either going to go for realism or not, and with the attention to detail he has here, I don't feel they are too much (whith the exception of the material)
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    like ruz said, the problem is that they're uniformly distributed over the entire face. they're even on the mustache. in the current renders, they look very unnatural on the cheeks and forehead. one doesn't usually see pores there. i'll wait for a textured, properly shadered model before commenting on them again, however.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Awaiting the colored versions to come...overall I would just make the pores a little smaller and try congregate them near the the nose...and the bridge.
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    The monkey and the young boy are all kinds of awesome, I tend to agree with others about not neccesarily the intesity of the pores, but the uniformatic density across the entire face.
    Really nice work!