Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Masai - inspired sculpt

polygon
Offline / Send Message
karera polygon
Hey Guys/Girls!

First post, but i've been lurking around, watching at all these talents on this forum for a while now.

So here is some stuff im doing now, a bit of warmup/learning sculpting.

haven't worked on the hands/feet yet. And im planning on giving him some clothes afterwards.

Comments are well welcomed ;D

masai_zbrush03.jpg
masai_zbrush02.jpg
masai_zbrush01.jpg
masai_zbrush04.jpg

Replies

• ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChaosEidolon polycounter lvl 17
    Heya, welcome to the forums

Few crits for you. The model looks like it's off to a good start, but the anatomy has some trouble areas. You are going a good job of paying attention to the details of the muscles, but you should pay special attention to how the muscles work together as a whole. There is a flow to how the muscles merge with each other. You should take a close look at the area where your pectoral joins with the bicep and deltoid (plus i would say the pecs are over sized for anyone but a serious bodybuilder). There are several areas that could use a little polish in this regard.
    The back is looking good so far.

your arms are also slightly short, and the hands are currently too large in proportion.

On a more conceptual level, if you are trying to go for a Masai warrior, I would seriously tone down the physique. The quintessential Masai "type" is a much more sinewy and slender than your bulky body type. I understand you are trying to make a hero type character, but this type of musclebound anatomy would feel really out of place if you want him to look like he's Masai.
  • karera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    karera polygon
    [ QUOTE ]
    Heya, welcome to the forums

Few crits for you. The model looks like it's off to a good start, but the anatomy has some trouble areas. You are going a good job of paying attention to the details of the muscles, but you should pay special attention to how the muscles work together as a whole. There is a flow to how the muscles merge with each other. You should take a close look at the area where your pectoral joins with the bicep and deltoid (plus i would say the pecs are over sized for anyone but a serious bodybuilder). There are several areas that could use a little polish in this regard.
    The back is looking good so far.

your arms are also slightly short, and the hands are currently too large in proportion.

On a more conceptual level, if you are trying to go for a Masai warrior, I would seriously tone down the physique. The quintessential Masai "type" is a much more sinewy and slender than your bulky body type. I understand you are trying to make a hero type character, but this type of musclebound anatomy would feel really out of place if you want him to look like he's Masai.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks ChaosEidolon!

What started off as an idea of a just regular masai warrior, slender and sinewy, escalated into some kind of futuristic mad max thing. Now im not really to sure of what i will make out of the design. But i'll think of something.

I blew up the proportions quite a lot mostly beause i wanted to learn more about the anatomy(the references i have are from really buffed guys). I think i will trim him down a bit though, but still keep the contrast of the muscles, make him more fitness laugh.gif

Any ideas on how to fix the hand? Because of as it is now, there's not enough geometry right there, and the hands wack out on me everytime i try simething, (hence the big buldgy things). Is more subdiv- the answer?
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    Looking good.

Just a question, is this meant to be a Masai or is it just a name you picked out? Having actually known a number of Masai in both their more tribal and more city dwelling states I can say your proportions are way off wink.gif Masai in the tribal sense are very lean, well defined and look like they could sprint in any direction at the drop of a hat. I have spent a lot of time all over Africa so I have the benefit of actually meeting these different peoples.

Just a nit pick wink.gif Black people do tend to build really well though so your guy could just have Masai ancestory.
    Do it right and you could have a very interesting piece, lots of character can be put in here.

Keep it up
  • karera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    karera polygon
    Thanks for all the good words Xaltar! I just changed the topic now. Since that was merely my first idea of this character(still hoping to put some ties into the Masai people). Later on it just evolved into something else. But the general opinion seems to be that i should make him more lean, so probably i'll do that wink.gif

Thanks again!
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    A Maasai character would be a good one to learn muscle anatomy with because they do tend to be so thin and toned. You'd probably get a much better handle for the subtleties than with a big chunky body builder type. If you wanted to give him some bulk, I'd suggest accentuating the legs rather than the upper body. Maasai are the guys who (archetypally at least) do the whole leaping up and down on the spot dance for which you'd need some enormously powerful legs. Take a look at the way Capcom stylised Elena, the Maasai capoeirista from Street Fighter. She's obviously a bit different than what you're going for, but might be useful for inspiration.
  • Rayne13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    he needs toes. smile.gif
  • karera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    karera polygon
    [ QUOTE ]
    he needs toes. smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well as i said in my first post, i haven't gotten to that yet, and i will probably give him shoes anyway as i thought in my first concept ideas.. But you're probably right. Although then i probably would have included the toes already in my basemesh , and i didn't..

Thanks btw for mentioning Elena, i really liked her proportions, i'll look into it more!
  • karera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    karera polygon
    Fixed some small things,
    And tried to fix the trapezius muscle a bit too.
    Haven't done to much about the head yet(the eyes are placeholder).

Really want to finish the body so i could go on with the clothes(thinking about having the traditional outfit)

masai_sculpt04.jpg
    masai_sculpt03.jpg
    masai_sculpt02.jpg
    masai_sculpt01.jpg
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream polycounter lvl 11
    He has huge traps....everything else gets thrown off by their size. Also, his arms are about a hand too short. Generally, arms end about a hands length above the knee (which most of the time, is halfway down the thigh).. His knees are also inverted in, while his toes are pointing out---knees usually guide the toes. Speaking of his feet....something looks off about them...like we're seeing too much of the bottom of toes/feet....keep @ it though....ZBrush is amazing...