Home General Discussion

Cellphones

Keg
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Keg polycounter lvl 18
Going to be in the market for a new cellphone fairly soon.

Only extra features I am interested in is a decent camera. Mainly in case of an accident or hanging out with friends. I'm not a camera junkie like brome so nothing fancy is needed.

Replies

• pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Motorokr Z6???

I have this one for a while and it does a little more than a standard camera...

Its a little pricey though.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I have a MOTOKRZR K1m, because it was cheap on the Verizon plan when I left those bastards at AT&T.

Some cool features:
    It fits in my pocket and answers calls.
    Has a camera so you can take snaps of that chick at the concert.

Bad features:
    Has the slow loading VCast crap on it so I can like totally listen to my favorite bands and like watch movies on a microscopic screen. ^_^

But I only use the phone for calls...sometimes.
  • Master_v12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I personaly haven't had a good experience with Motorola frown.gif Samsung is #1 in customer loyalty and i have to agree, my first phone was a samsung and every samsung i've gotten since has never let me down.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    This is my phone:
    motorola-pebl-u6-g.jpg

I love it. Motorola. Fido.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Time for me to change shortly.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    strongly advise to stay away from any motorola product.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I really like the LG that I have. It's the VX8600:

lg_vx8600.jpg

It's typically referred to as the 'chocolate flip', since it's just like the chocolate phone, but in the clamshell design. It has a pretty good camera, mp3 player controls on the front, and the screens are crystal clear. The only downside is the black case seems to suck oil from my body and spread it all over the face wink.gif (I need to clean it off after every use)

One thing to remember is that basically all cameras on phones suck. They are really meant to do a quick grab of an event (sort of like you mentioned you wanted it for). It's hard to take a good picture with a camera phone if the object (or yourself) is moving. You usually have to take the picture, then hold the camera still for 2 or 3 seconds, otherwise it will come out blurry. Also, most camera phones don't have a flash, so dark pictures aren't very good.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    don't touch the PEBL. Serioulsy buggy, known crashes. I've had mine repaired, replaced, then repaired, then self repaired.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    strongly advise to stay away from any motorola product.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? I've had zero problems with mine. I've got the RIZR Z3.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    for every person who had a problem free motorola experience i've known at least 2-3 people who encountered very questionable quality and design, myself included.

i admire their effort to make their products very stylish and sleek but the hardware and software quality is very substandard.

I do wish companies would get back into making proper communication devices first and multimedia devices second..
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    don't touch the PEBL. Serioulsy buggy, known crashes. I've had mine repaired, replaced, then repaired, then self repaired.

[/ QUOTE ]

That reminded me, avoid the Razr also. There's a lot of hype over those things, but most people that own them, don't like them. Me and the wife both got them when we switched to Verizon, and we both hated them. We exchanged them 3 days later and I got the phone posted above. The razr's sound is really tinny, and if you have Verizon, they cripple this shit out of it's features.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Verizon got panned a lot of times by a lot of customers.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, their service is pretty good, but they're real assholes when it comes to their features. They cripple phones all the time, hoping it will force you to buy shit from their network.... the one you have to pay $20/mo just to have access to.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    Thx for the replies.

Anyone had experience with sony ericsson phones?

I am looking at the K850i or possibly the older k790 which is a 3mp camera.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Be sure to recycle the old one. Don't just drop it in the trash.

Great article...
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/13/magazine/13Cellphone-t.html
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CNet seems to like it: http://reviews.cnet.com/cell-phones/sony...l?tag=pdtl-list

You should look through their cell phone reviews. I've found many of their reviews to be pretty accurate. I know in the past, they've really liked the ericssons.
  • rooster
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Stop throwing yours at hard surfaces. I'm creeping up on 6 months and have had no issue.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    2 years. Let me know when it stops ringing.
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    get the LG shine... my friend just got it a while back..

its AWESOME... the camera at least...
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The LG Voyager looks pretty sweet too, but I think a lot of iPhone snobs are really ragging on it. Then again, I haven't actually held/used one.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    I have the LG enV, and I'm relatively impressed with the phone's camera functions. There are definitely even higher res phone-cameras about, but this one serves me well enough.
  • BRUTICUS(CW)
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BRUTICUS(CW) polycounter lvl 18
    in the last year i have went through a motorola (which I loved but forgot it in a cab while drunk) a samsung d-807 (which was buggy as hell and I actually went through 4 of them crashing and burning on me!!! and now I have a Sony Ericson W810. This thing is FAR better than either of those other brand of phones (you'll find that most brands use the same or VERY similar software on all their phones). So much better, in so many ways. Since having this phone i've learnt those other brands are garbage relatively.

The main factor for me is the interface. Everything does exactly what I expect. The thing isn't nearly as snazzy looking as the other phones but it is rock solid! I have dropped it, it bounced and I caught it before it hit the ground again. the screen didn't even flicker. but most of all it is the INTERFACE. I also use the MP3 player a lot and this is by far the only MP3 player that is worth your time dealing with. the ones on other brand phones are a waste. this one is very intuitive and quick easy to send songs etc to other people with the bluetooth too. (try that with your ipod). the card comes out and I can plug it directly into my computer to transfer songs onto it. the thing will never die.. oh and the camera is pretty damn good too.

yes for phones I highly recommend sony. then again the iphone looks pretty wicked too i must say.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah Sony phones are great, stay away from the W880i though. Prettiest phone on the market, with a lot of known bugs. Mine died completely just short of a year. It's great when it works but completely unreliable. Was looking to replace it, and the K850 is the front runner so far. Or an E70 because Maddox owns one, and I've always liked Nokias. smile.gif
  • Flynny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flynny polycounter lvl 9
    just had the k850i sony as an upgrade here in the Uk, was a total let down camera was buggy as hell and i wasnt the only 1 to recieve a bad batch.

Long story short after 3 sony ericsons the 850 is a short step forward, sent it back and threatend to leave vodacrap, now i have the nokia n95 8gb, had it just shy of a week.

Battery runs out quicker than my trusty k800 sony but who cares when it can do fricking everything a sony cant wink.gif so happy with this phone its unbelievable!
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    Ended up getting a Sony Ericsson K790a. Happy so far with it. had to circumvent some drm protection to get mp3 ringtones.

So far i'm happy with it. just got it today so time will tell.
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    I use a handmedown cell from my mom, the sleek i80s from 2002. I've had it for nearly 5.5 years. This byitchphone is so cool it doesn't even fold in half.

motorola-i80s.gif

post count of protection = (I am godlike for the next 30 seconds)