Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

lizard warrior

fatatattat
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
fatatattat polycounter lvl 17
i havnt posted here in a while, this is some stuff i have been working on any crits are welcom thanks

weaponssv4.jpg

lizardwarriorbn0.jpg

Replies

• Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
  • Mtg_kirin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks great. Will u model them in the future?
  • fatatattat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah sure Mtg_Kirin, they really arnt finished i kinda put them up here for crits while i moved on to somthing else, i have been given alot of helpfull critique in the past on these boards. but right now im really focusing on hammering out some solid paintings, next i do plan on doing some textures though

now that i look at them the weapons are really bothering me like i should get rid of one of the swords or replace it with something else. it looks like the are competeing with each other and im thinking the straight bladed one is sort of dumb or not really that creative.
  • EricElwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EricElwell insane polycounter
    I dig the character and the head, good stuff.. The first (farthest to the left) weapon is cool, I'm not really sold on the rest, partly for design, but the rendering is throwing me off.... very soft

but it begs the question.. "Really, what would a lizard make a weapon out of?" heh... at first I would think the weapons should look more "lizardly" but i don't even know what that means.. haha and on second thought, a lizard type creature might make his weapons from victims or common local resources to his habitat.

Crazy random thought I know...

I like the flurls on the head... What are your plans for color?
  • fatatattat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    im with you on the weapons i think EricElwell the rest of the wepons are real soft looking because i never finished them partly because i wasnt really happy with the way they were going and just kept pushing out ideas sticking with the shell theme kinda. im going with a more opaque painting style next to save time and get ideas out faster. i was thinking the same thing too "more lizardly" ha i will do another pannel of weapons more improvised klunky ones. colors- i was really thinking of doing the frill thing on his head brightly colored and doing some horn concepts too. also i think its really not complete without some armor/ clothing concepts.

thanks for the feedback and the crit
  • fatatattat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here is a quick rendering of somthing that may be a little more fitting to the character. i think ill head a little more this direction for the weapons lizardweapontg7.jpg
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    looks like lizard meets lion.
    heh, original=)
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    I like your drawing style a lot. Care for an ultra quick rundown of the process you use?
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    hey wade, great to see you posting!
    really like this new weapon here, looks like the skull has a fin, that's pretty dope.
  • fatatattat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i did quick re-concept of the lizard thing kinda try a few things, i was really wishing that i had put some spikes all over him and thought walking on 2 legs would be more practicall however not nearly as cool.

anyway at the least it could be like the lizard guys neighbor or drug dealer

t4pan sure ill show you how i work im sure it is very similar to how everyone else paints or atleast nothing new. i use the color sampler alot and keep the brush, usually a hard brush, some times i use soft brushes at about 50% opacity and that is how i do gradiants and such

whats up killingpeope- hey thanks for the crits and stuff big help how are things in your world? lizard2copywx4.jpg
  • fatatattat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    painntingpy6.jpg

this is kinda how i sample colors and make gradiants

i generally start whith a silhouette and work from there, hope that answered the question i can go further into it if you need
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    things are good in my world save the fact you're spamming my phone punk. keep up the great work wade. looks like you're starting to pick up the pace, and i think the paints look better, definitely keep painting more confident at this opacity. this new paint looks really nice. you should really finish it all the way, keep it all the same level of detail, a concept needs to tell a modeller what to make. how 'bout adding some armor bits like we talked about in that email? same could apply for this new form you've made.

keep it up! MOAR
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Is this the infamous Wade?!

I really liked the head neck breast and chest area of the first guy. I want those arousal fins on the head so I can tell when I'm doing it right.
  • fatatattat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sectaurs yeah this is wade- unless you are talking about the horible drunken idiot guy in that case no you have the wrong man

cory -armor yes i need to get crackalakin on somthing. yeah i think ill finish this guy today too it was late when i posted it.

spaming cory's phone is kinda one of my hobies
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teh same wade, yeah.
  • fatatattat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you guys work togather or somthing in boston
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    yes.

i'm pretty sure we've talked on the phone before. this is ian
  • fatatattat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    started plaing around with doing some leather armor. i was also thinking maybe some bones or something laced togather to make sort of armor plates and such. turnaroundbodycopy3warmbe9.jpg

and doing some painting on the frill. bodyconceptscopyww6.jpg

also thinking he needs some sort of dangleing trophy chain of like rodent skulls or something
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream polycounter lvl 11
    I personally think he looks more menacing and powerful without the frills, at least not the "brighter" ones. What really catches me about this image is the silhouette of him in his stance---it's very interesting and very strong about your character's personality.
  • fatatattat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ill try some other things with his head maybe even tatter the frills a bit, maybe a horn, thanks for the input

i want ian to know when hes doing it right though
  • fatatattat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maybe this looks a little better bodyconceptsfrillwb4.jpg

Updated - If at this point anyone feels the "frill" still isn't cutting it I'll work on doing something different for the head
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    I like the frill. Maybe not the rainbow sherbert colors though. Try adding some reptile patterning, or some "Predator Dots". you know stippling a dark color from dark crevices to dissapate into wider areas.
    He's too green as well, lighten up his underbelly color to a peach or orange, with a natural transition. Looking sweet though man. Love the stance!
    Also maybe a thicker tail? At Least at the base.
  • fatatattat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks josh, bah rainbow sherbert thats funny now i dont even know what i was thinking, i really like the idea of some spots or stripes to break things up a bit, and the tail too.
  • EricElwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EricElwell insane polycounter
    The sherbetiness would not be bad if it were deeply saturated.. I suppose this comes back to environment. If this guy is from a swamp or a forest creek, maybe more earthy tones (which seems to be what you have been implying). If you are going for more of a jungle vibe, I think you can pull off more exotic colors.

I don't really want to influence your design, (you know, do what you want), but for a second there I looked at that frilled head to the left, and kinda got a vibe of a horizontal spread instead of purely vertical (if that makes sense) . So from the front you would end up with more of a spikey doom-spoon. (like a spork only more lizardly and evil)

Not sure how I feel about the armor, but it doesn't seem like you've gone too far on it, so I can wait for more. smile.gif

I like where you were going with more perspective shots. I think that will help you really nail down the anatomy. I know you probably have a really good idea in your head, but when you try to take it farther you really have to do some problem solving. A few more angle could help smile.gif

very cool!
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    the silhouette of him standing on just his back legs is full of YES OH YES.

perhaps some colors like the cuddly dilophosaurus:
    philip_bings_dilophosaurus1.jpg
  • fatatattat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    job hunting has kept me busy for a couple of days,but i got a chance to work on this thing some more today.

there were a couple more things i wanted to do to the body concept page,and i was kinda thinking of rendering the silhouette.

presentation of your work i think is real important, and something i havnt really spent time to do in the past. if the black line and stuff is to distracting i might want to work on a more simple way to lay them out.

anyway here is it.

armormt6.jpg

bodyconceptscs5.jpg
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey wade, these are looking fantastic! i'm impressed man!

the armor concepts, imo, are very good designs so far. i think you should add more pieces and let it grow out over the rest of his body, thats where i see it will challenge you to be more creative. if a good thing is happening, keep it going! incorporate those same material elements into protective forms for his imaginary anatomy, making it an entire armor set. (which is a rather typical assignment for concept artists) maybe after that, create a series of upgrades or class-specific armors; heavy hittter, light warrior/hunter, scientist, prostitute, punk, space pirate, corporate weasel, etcetera.

new layout is great, i don't think it's busy at all. i'm sure it will develop over time. i love the white outline you use for the silhouettes, i think this layout works better in armormt6.jpg

a very talented concept artist who knows more about these things had this to say after i showed him your latest two images:
    "The form is good. The imagination is there. He has a distinguishing fluid lines style. For the presentation, I would put the character on a neutral 30% value background. He will then see that the concept needs more volume definition and contrast. I would recommend using warm highlights and cold shadows. I love the colored exaggerated fins : this is a very strong element of his concept and it could be more exagerated/exploited."

hope that helps! keep it up home-slice.