Home General Discussion

Pros and Cons of GDC

Saidin311
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Saidin311 polycounter lvl 11
Are there any Cons? hah.

I'm aspiring and passionate, learning and excited about this industry. But I'm also slightly realistic and at the moment and understand I still have a lot of learning to go. I'm mostly looking for some sort of start or a way to break in and give me the opportunity to work and learn in production to take me somewhere in the future.

But I'm also a starving recent graduate and the potential cost of something like GDC is weighing heavily on my head. The time budget is also a factor and I would wonder what would be a good starting minimum for a website/portfolio/self marketing tools.

It seems there are a ton of Pro's to a conference like GDC, but it seems that it could be a big gamble/expense for someone who isn't 100% prepared. And I'll fully admit that I'm already trying to progress fast and efficiently in skill and style and I have no idea whether I'll be set in a month from now or not.

Anyone have any thoughts on this potential dilema?

Replies

• aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    the con would be that it costs a lot of money.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    I'm having the same one and would like others to elaborate on this.

have enough money for one or the other.. need job.. need computer. computer vs gdc..
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    How much *does it cost?
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Con- it's still in San Fran.
    Pro- possibility it'll be in San Jose next year.
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    Con is definitely cost:
    http://www.gdconf.com/register/passoptions.htm
    add in lodging, food/drink, travel.

Compared to the $125 Gnomon workshops, you don't really get your money's worth at GDC. But, there's enough to do that I still try and go. I'm paying my own way now that we're part of EA, so every other year seems reasonable (skipping this year).

I wouldn't recommend going if the choice is GDC vs Computer. I've never been to GDC while looking for a job, so I could be wrong.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    Five Short Video Game Industry Keynotes

There, I just saved you several days time plus the travel and registration expenses smile.gif
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Con- it's still in San Fran.
    Pro- possibility it'll be in San Jose next year.

[/ QUOTE ]

pffffffftttttt!! whatever, San Jose is boring and stupid and lame and dumb.. at least you can have fun in san fran, and get happy ending massages, eat at some of the best restaurants in the united states, convince burnt out hippies to do backflips in traffic for mushroom money, get aids just from breathing the air, and hang out with daz.. seriously thank god its not san jose, what a homogenized dump hole. its like mall, but with sidewalks.. might as well have gdc here

2679_2.jpg

probably would have more fun in that trailer, i bet there are shotguns in there.
  • nacire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nacire polycounter lvl 17
    Shit, that's a double wide with a porch! I'm in!
  • Malekyth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malekyth polycounter lvl 18
    Goddamn you, I lived there 'til I was twelve. Don't mock my home.
  • Pseudo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pseudo polycounter lvl 18
    GDC is a great excuse to travel to a cool city and meet up with some friends. The only time it was of any use when job hunting was when I had an interview scheduled ahead of time.

Unless GDC has changed majorly over the past couple years, it will go like this:
    -Walk around the show floor and look at all the cool useless gadgets.
    -Listen to some salesman tell you about technology that you will never need or use
    -Play a handful of cool indie games
    -Play a lot of shitty indie games
    -Meet your friends at a bar and drink
  • Mtg_kirin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow 1500... what do u get for that except to walk and talk with the industry?
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    [ QUOTE ]
    wow 1500... what do u get for that except to walk and talk with the industry?

[/ QUOTE ]
    1500 gets you into the monday and tuesday tutorials, every lecture/roundtable/whatnot, the expo floor (only useful for schwag and the job area), breakfast and lunch each day.

I've been on an expo pass one year, and a giga pass the past two years. I learned a lot, took copious notes, and made a ton of contacts. I wasn't really serious about looking for a job the first two ones I went to, but it was nice to get a handle on what to expect. Breakfast/Lunch are great times to network and talk to folks. Avoid the expo floor until after you've hit the employment expo or whatever - the expo floor is flashy but not very useful.

There are also parties every night held by all manner of companies and more great networking opportunities. My last GDC I walked away with a bunch of contacts, a bunch of interviews, and got to make a choice about where to work afterwards.

I'm a self-taught noob and most of my friends are programmers so I had to be pretty self-reliant on finding job leads, and I'm naturally shy, so getting a networking schmooze on took some time and effort, and if I hadn't been to GDC before I probably would not have been as outgoing and networky my last time as I was this time.

GDC was worth it, imho.
  • Mtg_kirin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ya i just saw they have a student one day pass. which i guess would make it worth it. But then add on hotel and airfair and such. Think Ill have to wait on this one, though it looks great
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    [ QUOTE ]

GDC was worth it, imho.

[/ QUOTE ]

but would it still be worth it if all you could afford was the 195$ expo pass, considering airfare and hotel would drive the price up past 1k$ anyway?
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A 1 day student pass or an expo pass are not going to be anywhere near as valuable as the full deal, but if you've got a good portfolio to show (Have a physical hard copy, with business cards/CDs! Nobody is going to pull up your website while talking to you - most people don't even have in front of them at the booth) it might be worth it. I don't know how big the job fair section of the expo is going to be this year, but you'll be able to get a physical portfolio and facetime to talk about it with someone at about 70 companies, plus any networking possible (if you're social). If that's worth $1k to you, then do it.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    damn man you are making me reconsider.
    If I can pump out more quality stuff within the month and bring it with me..as long as the companies are there to talk to (I've never been, I don't know how busy people would be or even the right people to approach), it would definitely be good showing it to that many people and help a lot in my job search..

this is a tough decision because I would need to buy tickets and stuff today most likely... gehh.
  • Master_v12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There is always the conference assistant program, you get the all access pass for free, and you only have to work 20 hours during the entire week. you do things like monitor the eating line, hand out papers, check badges, really easy stuff. The deadline for the CA program is over already but its something to consider if you want to go the following years. they also give you a good deal on lodging.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

probably would have more fun in that trailer, i bet there are shotguns in there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Con- your a big dum-o!
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    damn man you are making me reconsider.
    If I can pump out more quality stuff within the month and bring it with me..as long as the companies are there to talk to (I've never been, I don't know how busy people would be or even the right people to approach), it would definitely be good showing it to that many people and help a lot in my job search..

this is a tough decision because I would need to buy tickets and stuff today most likely... gehh.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if you've already posted your portfolio or not in the pimping/previews forum, but you really should, you'll get a lot of feedback and that will help you judge whether or not you would benefit from GDC or not.

For reference - www.ghostscape.com has been mostly untouched since I went to GDC, with the exception of the three items in the top left, that were added in the week after GDC. I had a 3 ring binder with larger versions of the stuff posted there printed up and carried it with me - being able to show people stuff quickly puts you ahead of a lot of folks.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    yeah, looks like I'll be going, there's no way I can't. I really need the job and I've always wanted to get a gig at a game company.

Going to spend the next month preparing a new print portfolio using my most recent work, I'll def put some up for crit. Thanks Ghostscape.