Akuma sculpt sculpey WIP ]

seantree
polycounter lvl 18

Replies

• Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    in the future you can use a ball of tinfoil as the base to build off of, then you won't get as much cracking, looks like it's all solid sculpey. most people use a base of some kind.
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i dont know how tinfoil reacts when you bake it with sculpty, good chance the model cracks open like this. or you should punch a hole into the middle so the air that is traped in the foil can escape, that way it probably wont break. but ey, i dont have exp. with baking, specialy no sculpty

any chance you used some material to fill up the model?

you should try using tools, even a kichen knife does the trick. with that you can carve away clay to make things symmetrical, or create hard edges, ect.

im using a potato knife for almost everything.
  • seantree
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seantree polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah I use foil to bulk out, and have a few sets of tools. Thing is this sculpt has been through many versions and baked a few times. Now I'm just tryin to finish him up for the sake of not quitting on something. The cracks etc are no big deal. I have some Aves epoxy sculpt to fill those. I'm just tryin to get the face right then it's all good from there. I really should not have put that front view pic up. The flash killed all the detail :/ since it seems you guys sculpt have you ever looked at
    www.willowproducts.com
    This will prob be my last clay sculpt. I've been dying to move on to wax so I just ordered 3 lbs of his 360 wax. looks lke fun stuff. Well, thanks for the input. I hope to have something real to show soon.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    always cool to see guys sculpting.

For some awesome tips and work check out http://www.statueforum.com/index.php

Basically like polycount but for sculptures.

As far as baking goes. I have baked my clone sculpt 4-5 times already and have not had one crack. It is bulked up with tin foil and the key is to bake it at a certain temp for so long turn it down and bake it again for a long while and then just let it cool in the oven for the rest of the evening or a few hours.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dont get it, why do you guys do multiple bakes?
  • seantree
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seantree polycounter lvl 18
    I do it to lock stuff in. It could tend to be a bad habit, but as I'm still learning I'll decide that as it comes. I think that is actually part of the reason I'm moving on to wax. You have limited time to work before it hardens on it's own w/o heating it back up. So it automatically locks detail in. Another thing I may do with wax is kind of apply the ol' "base mesh" technique to it. Like make a waste mold of a generic male and female head, then cast in wax for the detailing etc.. Only prob with wax is the fact that I had no idea wax pens cost so much :/ jesse, I also frequent
    http://theclubhouse1.net/forums/index.php
    another good sculpting forum.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    I dont get it, why do you guys do multiple bakes?

[/ QUOTE ]

My sculpt is a lot of hard detail and I didn't pick up any of the extra firm sculpey that I would normally use so by baking a piece here and there I can then add another piece that doesn't destroy the other detail.

I can also use my new dremel pen tip to add fine detail that needs to be hard edged.

It's just a personal preference really EQ..but by doing it this way as well I can make variation pieces like a different arm or accessory.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    i know when I did it in the past I would bake eyes and teeth out seperately,