Home General Discussion

Google Tools

Ctrl+Awesome
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Ctrl+Awesome polycounter lvl 18
I may be out of the loop on this, but I just stumbled accross one of Google's tools called Google Sketchup. Appaerntly it's their shot at trying to create a user firendly, streamlined 3D application. Mostly I see this more in compotition woth AutoCAD than Max, Maya and the such but knowing that google is an evergrowing company I could easily think something like this could expand in to our modeling and animation softwares. I thought it was pretty a pretty cool attempt and am wondering how it will do in the future.
At first I thoguht it was a 2D sketching application like Alias sketchbook, although im sure that would be something that google would perhaps create later down the line.

Link: http://sketchup.google.com/

Well, so when I saw this I thought of this place and was wondering what you guys thought or of it's anything worth mentioning at all.

Happy Holidays.

Replies

• skrubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skrubbles polycounter lvl 18
    Skethup has been around for a while now. It's a cool little application... especially for those that are new to 3D and/or don't have higher-end modeling tools. It's been getting pretty popular in the comic book industry. It seems like a bunch of artists are using it to set up compositions and quickly get perspective shots of buildings to work from... speeding up their workflow.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Its not bad for a free tool. Quite fun really. have you seen the vray sketchup renders? it must be getting pretty popular with the architecture crowd for a version of vray to be released for it. By the way if your 3D app of choice doesnt support autocad files I think sketchup version 4 had free autocad import and obj export built in smile.gif too bad the latest versions dont have this feature unless you pay or something
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a guy using Sketchup for game assets. Interesting approach.
    http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=39&t=366358
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    As a matter of fact someone posted an impressive gundam-like all done in Sketchup here on Polycount.

And yeah Sketchup is indeed quite popular amongst the architecture crowd - back at school we used it way before it was aquired by Google. I remember a teacher specialized in wooden frame and buildings actually used it alot for his professional works. Nice little program.
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seconded, indeed popular with the architecture crowd. I'm doing bsc 1 in architecture, though it's mainly the new students that don't know maya or max that use it. I have yet to see a proffessor use it in his works though
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah, I use this at work a bit. You have to realize, not everyone in the world is as computer savy as they wish they were and a lower-end 3d tool that's easy to use is what they need. We use it for design/pre-design and for interference checking. I just import the 2D CAD plans and go from there (like putting a puzzle together). Here's the most recent thing I did for work, a Holiday Inn in Kemah, TX:

hikemah02.jpg
    hikemah01.jpg
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    i used sketchup for pre-production of levels. It's great for quickly creating concepts and showing how the level will progress, then you can quickly change something as opposed to rebuilding the level again.

8FtSpider: that building is kick ass! Did you turn alot of the model into construction groups?
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    yup, all of the windows, doors, etc are SketchUp components which behave like Max's instance. So, once I've got them in place as just a basic rectangle shape, then I can detail or texture one of them later, and all of them will be updated.

It took me about one 8 hr day to do that model. Importing the CAD files and setting them up (setting up the elevations around the floor plan) really facilitates quick modeling, and since I drew most of the CAD drawings, I was pretty familiar with the building before I started modeling it.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    level designers at raven use sketchup for planning structure and stuff.. in fact i think its a requirement. good stuff, and easy to use
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Used it and still loving it.
  • Jay Evans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jay Evans polycounter lvl 18
    Level designers at Slant Six are using it as well. Pre-vis, layout, planning etc. I think it's in our level designer job description.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    wow that holiday inn looks quite good, I should do some more tutorials in sketchup and figure out how to get the most out of it cause it seems pretty random to me. Can you get the standard 4 views somehow?