Home General Discussion

Designing your 'perfect' 3D content creation tool

LetterRip
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
LetterRip polycounter lvl 10
Hi all,

The Blender Foundation and Apricot Team (who will be making a 'open source game using Blender as the content creation tool, and Crystal Space as the game engine) would like to know what sort of features you feel would help improve your work flow for those of you that either use Blender currently, or are interested in doing so in the future for game development.

http://apricot.blender.org/

Some of the requests and suggestions already made can be found in this thread at blender.org

and this thread at Ogre 3D

You can either post in one of the above threads, or here, and I'll be sure to forward the information to the Apricot team.

Also feel free to ask me any questions related to Blender (although if it is help using it I'll likely direct you to blenderartists.org and wiki.blender.org smile.gif )

Thanks,

LetterRip

Replies

• leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    Exporting directly with no middle mess and instant getification always is a good thing. I do that already with Blender vs. idTech 3.

What would really help if collada support worked "out-of-the-box", and maybe an mdl/md2 exporter that actually works as beautiful as the md3 exporter does. (And i don't mean bob's. The only hitch in the md3 exporter I use is having to apply all my surface modifiers before the export or the normals will fudgey)

Maybe .psk/.psa import/export for UnrealEngine 1/2/3 support too. And a sandwich.

I like Blender's workflow as it is, it's just the export process is a bit lacking in game engine formats.
  • Option
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Option polycounter lvl 18
    new ui.
    streamlined ui.
    ui that makes sense.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    a realtime shader system that is identical to the target engine, or that can easily adapt shaders from other engines.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    new UI that makes sense. streamlined too.
  • CrazyButcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    ...or that can easily adapt shaders from other engines.

[/ QUOTE ]

there are no standards how shaders implemented with an engine (even the .fx stuff heavily varies among engines), so this cannot work, too much depends on engine, there might be textures/matrices... that are very specific to the engines rendering pipeline...