Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mudbox Whaleosaurus experiment

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Spinks polycounter lvl 18
hey guys!
would value your input on this sculpt i've been working on.
started out as a quick and dirty test to learn the tools and then i went from there. hadn't really figured out the details of the design beforehand so i had to experiment a bit.. dunno if i should push it further or move on.

front.jpg
back.jpg

Replies

• Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    cool! I like how it's not oversaturated with details like you see in most creature sculpts. Move on and make more cool stuff!
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome smile.gif move on to texturing, and then make him some smaller fishy food.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Nice. Lets see some more on this bad boy soon.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    I think the hind legs could use a little more mass for kicking while navigating but overall it's really nice...add more blubber.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    How big is this creature supposed to be? If it's supposed to be a behemoth, you should make the face smaller.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    it reads as rather small to me.

probably because those bumps on his flippers resemble the barnacles on whales, giving context off which to base the rest of him. also, he doesn't have the micro detail one expects in a large creature.

also, cetaceans don't have lips, which makes him look a bit unadapted for the deep.

cool critter, nonetheless

• gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    I agree with Sectaurs in that it seems a bit small. In particular, I would increase the size of the body but keep the head proportions. The large-ish head gives it a bit more of a cartoony feel. All-in-all looking pretty good so far.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    It looks very odd for this to have human biceps, triceps, deltoids, and an elbow.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like the overall shape, freakin cool idea, not a bad sculpt either. I really like that you didn't rush to sub-d and spam-stamp dino scales all over it.

Crits:
    - Flippers look to be made out of bone
    - The arm issue Ely brings up is valid and looks weird. I think the arms need more whale reference then human. Keep it Whale/Dino not Whale/Human/Dino.
    - The back plating armor doesn't really break or blend into the shoulders that well. Is the shoulder made out of muscle or plating? looks like plating, if its muscle is the back also the same soft material? Break that up and define the back and the shoulder.
    - Technically you should model the back flippers extended/fanned out and collapse them for animation. With them modeled in the collapsed position, it will create issues when you want to fan them out, texture stretching, not enough tri's to make the webbing convincing.
    - Lastly... Blow hole? You can get some cool Sectaurs anus type detail mixed with hemorrhoid... err I mean barnacle details.
  • monkeyboy_garth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monkeyboy_garth polycounter lvl 9
    Cool! The small ridges running down his head/back look like those on a crocodile too.
  • verybad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    verybad polycounter lvl 17
    Reads as a half whale sort of creature that follows seals up onto the beach and eats them there. Doesn't look like an enormous whale, but still somethign about the size of an elephant. I really like the concept, it's just plain old cool.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Nyet! I'd disagree vehemently with Vig, Ely or Brome with regards to the lips and arms (anything else they mentioned is probably valid). The slightly anthropomorphised details give this beastie much of its charm and it would be a real shame to lose any of it in trying to make it more sensical.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    I really like it as is as well, but I see what the others are saying about a creature of the ocean. Make more.

Alex
  • Spinks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spinks polycounter lvl 18
    Peris: Thanks, i've seen too many alpha-spammed models without enough form so i tried to stay away from that. you work at GRiN stockholm right? put in a good word for me when my internship application arrives smile.gif

Slum: thanks man, a little scene would be cool, we'll see after christmas.

Pliang: I wanted to keep him lean and buff, like a fishlizard bodybuilder, i think the small hindlegs accentuate that even if it makes him look a bit unfeasable.

Ebagg: i imagined him at about 6-9 feet... something in between a dolphin and an orca.

Sectaurs: one of my ideas i had when working on him was that his species just recently evolved into oceandwellers, so i went with a more non-whale head. valid point though.

Ely and vig brought up the arm, and it was a bit of a hasty solution. all the refernces of whales and seals i had didnt show any real definition, i wanted mine to look a bit more buff so i kinda defaulted to human anatomy.

Verybad: thanks man. thats about what i had envisioned too. i like the thought of it just thrashing up on the beach and devouring something small and cuddly smile.gif

It's normalmapped and sitting at around 3200 polys, no eyes yet. 1024 diffuse, normal and specular. want to get it at least semi-done before i go home for christmas tomorrow so i rushed it a bit.

fiskpinnen5.jpg