Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Video sketchs updated every few days

hey there pollycounters. i'd love your support over at my youtube account on my drawing vids.

subscribe at the site or post comments or critics. all vids have a voiceover and music and are in real time.

http://www.youtube.com/conceptsketchbook

left brain, right brain,, my brain
part1

eskimo sketch :

part1

part2

part3

part4

part5

part6

random character anatomy:

part1

part2

i'l always update into this thread in this post, i'l just keep adding to the list.

Replies

• Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    I didn't watch every video all the way though, but I watched a fair amount, and have some crits for you. They may seem kinda harsh, but that's crits for ya.

First, DO NOT include your music with your tutorials. It doesn't matter what you listen to, good or bad. 99% of the people who watch your tutorials are going to have their own music they want to listen to, but they'll have to listen to yours if they want to hear your narration. It's really annoying and distracting, and detracts from the main point of the tutorial.

Second, gotta say your effort is appreciated. Taking the time to record and narrate tutorials like this can be a huge help to the community, and to budding artists. That said, your tutorial needs to have certain things to qualify as actually helping people.

The random character anatomy pieces are mostly useless, as the compression, lighting and line weight make it just about impossible to actually see what is on the paper.

The eskimo videos were a good idea that could have ben executed much better. They come off as lacking any particular direction, and feel more like watching someone doodle aimlessly than watching an artist create a true illustration.

You don't really explain anything you do. You describe it sometimes, but rarely explain it. Instead of "hey, this face looks surprised", you should say "the slightly open mouth with downward-turning corners, combined with the wide eyes and out-ward angling eyebrows give this face a very surprised look". Try and think through every aspect, decide what you're going for, and then explain to the viewer exactly how you're going to achieve whatever design you decide on.

It doesn't sound like your drawing style and anatomy knowledge are really ready to be put into a tutorial. Your sketch style is random and hashy. You should be able to explain what you're going to draw, and make it with as few marks as possible, instead of slowly building your forms out of random layers of dots and dashes until you're happy with it. Everything in your drawing looks hairy for that reason. When you practice sketching, really try and create your forms with cleaner lines. Not saying drawings have to be clean to be good, but it helps the way you think about your art, and will make creating solid forms easier, faster and give you better results in the future.

Keep on keepin on, man. Work on your sketching more, practice anatomy, spend some time critting some of the art on conceptart.org to brush up on your general art theory for better narration in your tuts. Hope that helps smile.gif
  • alti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ferg : dude thanks, I appreciate and will take to heart every one of your crits. music think : i diddnt think about it to be honest but thats a good point.
    compression and video quality : just starting out and learning what not to do is half the struggle for me smile.gif i'm getting better lighting for the next vid, and some darker pencils. - i especialy appreciate that critic.
    explaining what i do: i'm usualy compleatly silent while sketching and need to get better at explaining instead of describeing, also it probably dosnt go well with my eratic starting phaze of drawing.

i'l cut all the vids into one silent timelaps clip too, because thats what the majority of people realy want to see, but for the people out there who are interested in the long drawn out process minis all the bells and whistles that will also be there.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    why is this in GD? looks like a pimp to me, moving.
  • alti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    undead character sketch session
    part1

part2

part3
  • alti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cheers for that gauss haha
  • alti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    updated top of page

new vid
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    updated top of page

new vid

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow...I should try that some day when I have both hands free. You're very talented. Consider uploading a timelapse of a complete piece.