Home Technical Talk

DVI/VGA Screenshot question

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
adam polycounter lvl 19
Hello,

So my 360 is setup on the monitors I use for my PC, allowing for optimum gaming (!!). Windows/the computer itself uses the DVI ports of the monitor while my 360 uses the VGA ports.

Is there anyway I can take screenshots from the VGA port and save them to my PC?

I know it's possible with 360 dev kits but that's impossible for me to do here, at home.

Replies

• Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    I wondered the same thing as I had that set up for a while too Adam but I think you would need to have your 360 going into some capture card or another way for the computer to receive the imagess.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yup, you need a capture card.

You could go the analog way by setting up a camera on a tripod looking at the monitor, in a dark room to reduce reflections, but you'll run into moire artifacts from the screen pixels and also blurriness from low exposure times. If you point at a CRT you also get the dark band from the refresh too, yuck!
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    Your monitor wont broadcast and your graphics card wont read over DVI/VGA port. Its a no go.
    There might be some app that writes 360s framebuffer to its HDD or sends it over network tho, havnt really looked into it...