Home Technical Talk

Maya viewports glitching out

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
I'm running Maya 6.5 on XP with a NVidia Geforce 7600 GS. For some reason which I can't quite fathom, my viewports have started randomly flicking between different viewports (usually perspective to front) while I'm trying to rotate around my model in the viewport with the perspective window maximised. Dropping back to quad view results in the perspective window going black and remaining that way if I maximise it again.
It seems to be completely random. Sometime's it'll happen as soon as I open up Maya, sometimes it'll run happily for hours. I've tried updating the graphics card drivers to no avail.
Can anyone give me a clue as to how to fix this problem, short of going out and buying an up to date version of Maya?

Replies

• Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 17
    Had this happen at work. It actually stemmed from updated card drivers. So if you hadn't updated for a while when this started happening, anything I say won't really help. Sry. : P
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    7800 GTS...never happened. As soon as the 8800 GTS came along...piece of shit issues like this happened.

Drivers didn't help my case either...what I'd do would be try and go into the properties - right click the program and run it at a smaller resolution, it seemed to be more stable afterwards but I guess I am guessing...
  • Slipstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slipstream polycounter lvl 19
    I had a similar problem with Maya 8-8.5 not too long ago with my 7300 gs and 8800 gt. I don't know if my solution will solve it for you, but under my Nvidia control panel, I set "Threaded optimization" to off.
    I found that under "adjust image settings with previews", and then "use advanced settings"
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    I almost forgot that one...I tried it just now...I'll keep watch on that one and see if it works on my 8800
  • skrubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skrubbles polycounter lvl 18
    It's a driver issue. I think Maya lists what drivers are supported and work the best. I'm using Maya 7 and I have a 7900 gt. Didn't upgrade my driver for a while, then when I did Maya started to act up exactly as you're describing. I reverted to my previous vid driver and Maya worked fine again. So if you're using the latest driver, you may want to backtrack a bit and get an earlier version until the problem goes away.