Home General Discussion

No country for old men

Anyone see this yet? I've heard its very good, but the closest theatre thats showing it is over an hour away. So i'd like to live vicariously through any of you punks that have seen it ;(

Replies

• shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    i dont know man.. i had no idea it was a cohen film, and i love em.

i sit there for the first minutes and i think, this sux.
    1.5 hours into it - what is this crap is this like a joke?
    after a while i left. then i found out its a cohen bro - say what???

i feel like seeing it again tho. there was something very classic about it, very subtle, conservative, point-blank attitude to it. the we're gonna make u appreciate good cinema kinda pretense. kinda fine-artsy.
    american gangster was much cooler.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    i thought it was a beautifully made movie.

great cinematography, great characters.

there is little to no story, though.

I liked it a lot
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    I caught this yesterday evening. The whole film is very bleak and nearly depressing. Very well put togther, and completely fucking strange. There was little to no music in the entire movie. A stylistic choice, and it helps with the realism. I think the best word to describe this film and the characters as a whole is "desperate".
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    I thought it was fantastic, but very. . . quirky. I liked that there was no music, and it's one of those movies where there is no real "good guy" But it's still great, and definitely worth seeing.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    I caught it a couple of weeks ago. I still think it's my favorite movie of the year. Just really well put together. I totally recommend seeing it. I liked it a ton more than American Gangster and Dajeerling Limited.
  • fogmann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fogmann polycounter lvl 17
    I've been looking forward to seeing this one, because I thought Cormac McCarthy's book was awesome and I expect nothing but greatness from the Coen brothers. I'm all hyped again. Now I somehow hope they won't make a movie out of McCarthy's last novel, The Road, because it's so very depressing, in fact the most depressing novel ever - but then again, it would still be interesting to see it if there is good art direction... (d'oh - checked IMDB and of course The Road is in production already).
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    My brother saw an early screening of it in the beginning of November, and he said it was pretty good. Actually, what he told me was he saw it three times in the same day, and I took that to mean it was pretty good. I've been pissed because I'm a huge Coen brother's fan, but none of the local theaters have had it. I just checked online and apparently they're finally showing it, so I'm dieing to get a chance to see it.

[ QUOTE ]
    american gangster was much cooler.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? I thought American Gangster was pretty mediocre, actually.
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    I've been looking forward to seeing this one, because I thought Cormac McCarthy's book was awesome and I expect nothing but greatness from the Coen brothers. I'm all hyped again. Now I somehow hope they won't make a movie out of McCarthy's last novel, The Road, because it's so very depressing, in fact the most depressing novel ever - but then again, it would still be interesting to see it if there is good art direction... (d'oh - checked IMDB and of course The Road is in production already).

[/ QUOTE ]
    True dat' on the depression bit... Pretty simple book, pretty good too. Here's hoping for some Half-Life2 / Stalker-esque post-apocalypticism, and that they leave the ambiguous nature of the setting.
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    badass movie and the "main bad guy" is one of the coolest characters EVer. Anton Chaguir, Predator or bobafett. I'm not sure anymore. ;F
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just got back from seeing it, and all I have to say is: silenced shotgun. Fucking silenced shotgun. Awesome.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    im glad you enjoyed the movie. it bored me to death.

yea denzel @ american gangster was awesome. i love that actor.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    not sure about whether this or darjeeling tops my best of 07 list... but boy, that's a film and an adaptation. full mastery and control of filmmaking.
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    Saw it yesterday and I think it's easily the best film of the year.
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, but it might still be a bit too early to say. There Will Be Blood (one of the trailers they showed before No Country) is coming out at the end of the month, and it looks like it's going to be a good'n itself.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, but it might be a bit too early to say. There Will Be Blood (one of the trailers they showed before No Country) is coming out at the end of the month, and it looks like it's going to be a good'n itself.

[/ QUOTE ]

one of the critics i respect the most tied There Will Be Blood and No Country as his two best of the year... i can see myself making the same call, frankly, from the whispers of what i've heard about There Will Be Blood. great to see a movie you know you'll be watching again and appreciating for years to come smile.gif
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Am I the only one that found the ending to this movie entirely unsatisfying? Didn't really end, just stopped telling the story.

Other than that I loved it.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    I totally agree Gauss. Most places split with No Country and There Will Be Blood. I really like Daniel Day-Lewis.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Am I the only one that found the ending to this movie entirely unsatisfying? Didn't really end, just stopped telling the story.

Other than that I loved it.

[/ QUOTE ]

i giggled a little bit when the people behind us in the theater were openly surprised by the ending, too.

i'll admit, the ending is more satisfying if you've read the novel, even though the movie is very faithful in virtually all respects. it was a very careful choice on the Coens' part, reflecting what the book is about.
    the novel is more neatly structured and bookended by passages of sheriff Bell talking directly to the reader, about these horrible crimes and things he sees in the world that he can't understand (the most central of these interludes are incorporated into dialogue in the film). what's missing is that Bell interviews the kids that witness Chigurh's car accident and realizes it was him, and thinks he might have a lead on it, but as with the motel sequence, Bell realizes he's in way over his head. Chigurh (like many figures in McCarthy's novels) represents/is a kind of unmitigated evil, a strangely fair but brutal sort well adapted to these incomprehensible times.
    but the film is an elegant and very faithful take on what the book is all about. it ends where it ends because that's the whole point--Moss, his wife, and Bell all come into contact with this force that they're not equipped to handle, and only Bell makes it out because he instinctively or explicitly knows that a confrontation with Chigurh will only end in death. Chigurh gets away, but ironically given his fixation on fate and chance, he still gets into a car crash. so it's an amended "the bad guys win" kind of ending, though that's still very much the point.

though the experience is kind of redundant to a large degree, i recommend the novel for those interested. it's a great study in how closely the Coens have adapted it, and also fills out certain themes and elements that are more implicit in the film. that and McCarthy is one of our best American writers around today smile.gif
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for the write up on that guass. Sounds like the kind of movie that would definitely benefit from reading the novel. I sort of got all that, but it didn't come across strongly enough in the film for me. I'll have to grab the book and give it a read through.

Anyways, definitely cleared it up a bit for me, so thanks. smile.gif
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    LOL ya, the guy behind me in the theatre said rather loudly, "Oh Come on! That's it?!"
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    yeah I'm with Gauss.

the movie is absolutely fucking awesome. go see it. the story is awesome, it's just not on a simple, literal level.

*spoilers*

I'm quite surprised. that was easily one of the best endings i can think of! really really well acted too. i thought it was totally beautiful, and summed up the theme profoundly and in an articulate manor.

The movie pulls on traditional good guy vs bad guy structure, but it deals with higher concepts about the illusion of the "innate property of the universe to support what's right" The last bit describes how this dream, based on his father, is shattered. "and then i woke up". awesome ending.

and the action scenes are sweet too. such a good movie. definitely better if you can think in the big picture.