Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UT3 character

This is intended to be a vampire character for UT3. any crits on topology would be apreciated. body count is 1062 so far

wires-2.png

front-2.png

side-2.png

Replies

• The Umbrella Man
    Theres no muscle structure here, the face is only identifiable because it has eyes and a mouth.

The mouth is way too long and shapeless, it should look more like a stretched out heart but you mouth just looks like flat lines. Not to mention the edges of the mouth end in points, this is no good for modeling.

The side view of the head actually looks passable. The front and iso shows different though. You need to take a look and really study some references. You have no cheek bones here, the eyebrow ridge is just a flat line across the head. Another thing thats distracting is the eyes. There are no eye lids, so the eyes are just kinda floating in space, at least make it look like the eyes aren't going to roll out.

The nose is shapeless and formeless. Theres no nostrils and the bridge is actually bigger then the tip which usually doesn't happen unless you have like a hideously broken nose, or a tumor growing out of it.

Overall your model suffers from lowpolyedgelooplessidis. I recommend some anatomy references, and a couple edge loop tutorials twice before bed.

Pictures are worth a thousand words (This site isn't english but look at the wireframes)
    http://www.3darts.com.br/tutoriais/edge_loop.php

I used to have an ass load of tutorials on my old work computer, I'll post them here later if I can find them.

Let me know if you need more specifics.
  • Mtg_kirin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ty WIll work on that. anymore suggestions are welceom
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    practice practice practice, get some good anatomy refs and constantly work to match them to the best of your ability.
  • BlackulaDZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    if its unreal tourney three i think you can increase your polycount a bit too
  • Mtg_kirin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok another head trying some new things. Defently not finished

head2.png

head1.png

wires-3.png
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    dunno if it's the same for everyone, but i only use the front and side viewports to block out the silouhette to my references, and use the perspective view to tweak all the internal stuff.

the reason i say this, is because it looks like you've lined up all the "internals" like the lips and eyes etc. in the front and side views, but paid little attention, if any, to how it looks in actual 3D.
  • Mtg_kirin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TY almighty, but I just havent gotten to the 3d view yet. Only worked on it for a bit then had stuff to do. So tweaking should come.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    your target goal is way out of your range. you should design this for UT2k4. you need lots of practice still. that head mesh is horrible. find better reference (a simple loose line drawing won't convey the right shapes), and follow it closely.
  • Mtg_kirin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    can u suggest a refrence then?
  • Mtg_kirin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just working on the head still. tri is at 1172 now

head3.png

head1-1.png

head2-1.png
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    looks like she's missing any sort of cheek

this is going for a cartoony/anime look, correct?
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    [ QUOTE ]
    can u suggest a refrence then?

[/ QUOTE ]

model a skull, then model a head over the top of it.
  • Acord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is that ol' Joan there? I ain't seen her around in years. Last I heard, she got knocked up and put on the weight.

As far as a reference - Stick a head in there, and model around that. Makehuman is excellent for that sort of thing. I always found blueprints to be nearly useless when I was starting out - not enough information for a beginner to work from.
  • Mtg_kirin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acord what is make human? Is it like a download?
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    gotta learn to model from flats sooner or later so I say you just stick with the way your going and get more reference. 3d.sk has all the reference you need to get started. Using more realistic, human ref would be best to start with and then when you get to a better understanding of edge loops and whatnot, move to the cartoony stuff.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    New wires please...
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Hi there, quite some improvement already. A long way to go still.

As for your ing technique you need to be aware of the following : If one s a shape by closely following a front a side shot one will never get there. Reason is you will get the front outline just right, the profile just right also, but if you don't read 'between the lines' so to speak the 3D interpolation inbetween the reference will be linear. Like a diamond shape when seen from the top. This is why industrial drawings include a top view and cross sections - you cant get a feel for for the mass with just two views.

Also beware that front/side stylized references like the one you use are likely to be off in relation to each other no matter how talented the original artist was. Hunt for documentation about facial planes, you'll find tons, and that's one of the mandatory things you need to know in order to make a believable 3d head.

Good luck