Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP: Village environment

TTU
TTU
Hi,
I would like to share my current stuff which I want to put in my portfolio.

camera2-20mm-mayasoftware3.jpg

mainhouse.jpg

village1.jpg

I have lighting problem hope somebody can give me advise.

www.maxinetu.com

Replies

• pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Textures looks nice but hard to see from the images as you said with lighting...are you going for a night time scene?

In that case I would start pinning some point lights in dynamic angles of the house like just under roof, windows and corners to balance it out. (In Maya that is)

Right now it only seems like you have one light in each of the lanterns.
  • super_villain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    super_villain polycounter lvl 11
    Cool looking stuff. Couple of things I would suggest: the roof on the house in the top pic would probably benefit from a little more contrast. Also, the ground seems wahsed out in the bottom two pics. I would put a little more detail into it. Good luck on the lighting, that will add a lot. Just play around a little, you'll get it.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    The style of it is great. I really like the modeling. The tree and the fence should not share the same texture. Something more organic for the tree. The ground definately could use some overlays of dirt or however you're going about things like that. There isn't any sort of accent or detail colors to catch you eye. You could do that with light glows in the windows and street lamps. Also with that the lighting is really flat. I would aim for pools of light and dark areas but not black. Your shadows seem very black to me. Anything I wasn't clear on or you don't get just pm me or reply back.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would also like to see actual vegetation in the scene even if this town happens to be next to a mountainside...

Btw what's with the green crack on the corner of the 2nd pic?
  • nicedwar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's some great stuff. Stylized modeling is refreshing.
  • Acord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My name is Tim Burton, and I approve this ad. Seriously though - very good stuff!
  • JoeinNC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks like something out of world of warcraft, good job
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    The problem with your lighting is lack of mood. Everything is flat shades of grey. You need color to give atmosphere. Create bluish moonlight to display a cold calm empty environment, and maybe warmer colors coming from lanterns and inside buildings to show warmth and add contrast, if that's what you're aiming for. Shades of black everywhere is disgusting.
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
    nice work. I like the style like this one;)

Suggestions:

1) first top pic. The roof front tiles r way too HUGE, they should be at least like those on the right side of the roof.

2) middle (second) pic, a house with red door. The red wooden door intersects with the small roof above it. Normally there should be a frame around the door, a bit of wall and only then the roof plane may start.

3) lightning. The best way imo would be to start with fundamental main lights (ambient and directional from moon/sun)and after being happy with them, continue to detail lights (lamps, torches, windows etc.). And yes, I agree with others, saturate well ur lights! Use contrast that works, e.g. warm with cold etc.

Remember, its all in details. guys who will check ur demoreeel will pay attention on them wink.gif
    Keep it up!
  • zenarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zenarion polycounter lvl 17
    I suggest addint rocks, pebbles, grass and bushes.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    The problem with your lighting is lack of mood. Everything is flat shades of grey. You need color to give atmosphere. Create bluish moonlight to display a cold calm empty environment, and maybe warmer colors coming from lanterns and inside buildings to show warmth and add contrast, if that's what you're aiming for. Shades of black everywhere is disgusting.

[/ QUOTE ] Quoted For Truth.

You also need to work on the ground textures. You could use vertex paint to blend your base ground texture with other more interesting textures that also tile. Such as worn dirt paths, green grassy areas, dead brown grassy areas, brick roads ect...
    The topic is covered here for the unreal engine: http://udn.epicgames.com/Two/VertexBlendingTutorial.html
    The same thing can be done in Max: http://www.cgshelf.com/vertex_paint.php
    And I'm sure it can be done in Maya, however I can't find a tutorial on it =/
  • TTU
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TTU
    Thank you guys suggestions and I will keep work and update it.
  • {scumworks}
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More details to the ground would help loads, its way to lowres atm.. Detailed buildings are nice, but the contrast between the ground makes em stand out too much.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I hope once his lighting's patched up we will be able to see all that with decent shadows...
  • TTU
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TTU
    I made few change of lighting hope look better.
    and I still have problem of the ground texture, it still looks not good.

cam1-25mm_1208-1.jpg

cam2-20mm_1208-3.jpg

cam5-20mm_1208-2.jpg
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    From the looks of it the ground have those kinds of issues

1. Its a little bllurred and stretched
    2. There very little variety, I see green gravel"ish" terrain
    3. Colors almost look even throughout.

For something like this some parts you can prolly get away by painting a larger terrain texture and sections like below the house you can texture it seperately and then merge them together so that it will make more sense. For a terrain like that you'd expect to find dirt, some muddy areas and dead vegetation.
  • Slipstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slipstream polycounter lvl 19
    It looks really cool dude. Kinda reminds me of a nightmare before christmas.

In the last image you posted, the wooden beam on the roof of the house looks really yellow, and has a mixture of red and green thats a bit random and attracts attention because its so different looking from the rest of the texture.