Home General Discussion

turbosquid?

Hey has anyone sold there models through http://www.turbosquid.com/ ?

Seems like a kinda easy way to make some extra cash with side projects.

Replies

• Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    Read their terms, kind of unattractive if you ask me.
  • Mtg_kirin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I accually wanted to know more about that. Like what percent of every dollar you get.
  • jgarland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Take a look here. It seems pretty unappealing to me. 50% is a hefty price to pay to sell your stuff, especially given the fact that I don't think many people actually buy assets on Turbo Squid. Your profit would be minimal, at best.

"Q: What is my royalty percentage?

A. For products priced $500 or more, you receive 55%, for products priced $150-$499.99 you get 53%, and less than $150 you get 50%.

Percentages differ for sales from clients who purchased subscriptions (paid one price for a set number of downloads in a given period, usually 1 year)."
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Sounds like a crooked deal...
  • J Randall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J Randall polycounter lvl 15
    Keep an eye out while that is a site I have seen advertised a bit there has to be something better out there, or you could make your own site with a page of 3d models for sale to contact you thru email.
  • Cthogua
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cthogua polycounter lvl 18
    I actually had a lead artist who made 300 to 600 a month off of models of military vehicles he had made that he was selling via Turbosquid. From what I've heard thats what really sells through their site, realistic vehicles, weapons, basically stuff that military training software companies can use because they would rather just buy what they want than pay for good artists :-\ Sad but true, I've never felt less appriciated as an artist than when working for the military.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    what puzzles me more is that there are no other sites like turbosquid that arent crooks , or i might be misinformed ?
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    there are other sites, just not as popular.
  • Mtg_kirin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok thanks. I probly wont use them then laugh.gif
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There is 3d02.com, which also has a freelance section.
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    The3dStudio.com has a much higher payout rate. I personally haven't sold anything through them, as Turbosquid definitely has the higher popularity.

The real advantage to this stuff is that you put it up, leave it up for years and make occasional bucks here and there for some crap you made a long time ago. Once it's up, it's up. Some people swear they make a decent occasional income off of it. Some of you (good) character guys could make a fortune....as there are only like 5-10 really great ones on there.

Back before some of the texture sites started coming online it was a really good way to sell texture images as well. One of my old teachers used to make $200-$300 a month or so on his texture images. Not a bad residual for nothing more than snapping high res photos smile.gif
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    I've got a animation pack up for $40 bucks. My half of the income for that over the past 4 years is about $5000. Not bad since I initially created the animations for a Quake 3 mod that never got off the ground.

50% is steep, but I have the same pack on another site for the same amount of time, and it has yet to break $400.

I've been meaning to put up more animation packs, but after 4 years I don't think I ever actually will.
  • skrubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skrubbles polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I've got a animation pack up for $40 bucks. My half of the income for that over the past 4 years is about $5000. Not bad since I initially created the animations for a Quake 3 mod that never got off the ground.

50% is steep, but I have the same pack on another site for the same amount of time, and it has yet to break $400.

I've been meaning to put up more animation packs, but after 4 years I don't think I ever actually will.

[/ QUOTE ]

You seem to have the right idea. Turbosquid seems to bring in more customers, but takes a huge chunk of the profits... actually it's pretty insulting how much they take. But if its something that you have laying around you might as well put it on turbosquid along with other websites that take less of the profit but also has less traffic/customers. I might actually do this just to have some passive income. Should be nice to get some money trinkling in every now and then that can pay for a few games smile.gif