Offline / Send Message
spider2cool polycounter lvl 18
Post deleted by spider2cool

Replies

• Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Erm... the reason you know less left handed artists... because there's less left handed people! (gasp!)

This is just silly. If your kid is left handed he'll draw left handed, if he's right handed he'll draw right handed. The only way his creativity will be hindered is if you force him to use the opposite hand that is natural to him and make him uncomfortable.

Oh, and to allay any fears, atleast two of the best artists I know are leftys.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18

this is akin to dying his hair blonde because you know a lot of blonde artists.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    (dye his hair blonde, btw)
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    I'm not voting, but the left hand is directly wired to the right brain, which houses most creative functions. smile.gif The problem with that is you'd have to supply him left handed pencils and paintbrushes...not an easy chore.
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    You should take into consideration, the ability to register at polycount is no gauge of creative ability. For all you know all the best artists here are left handed, but the poll would not indicate that.
  • spider2cool
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    ...I think youve mixed up the brain halves...the 'right' side of the brain is the visual side, and is 'wired' to the left hand...so by your logic you should want to teach your child to be LEFT handed.

Regardless though, I think the lines aren't so black and white as that. Flip through some wikipedia links on left handed, brain halves, right brain dominance and things like that.
  • Option
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Option polycounter lvl 18
    the second I opened that link I saw it going clockwise, took a good deal of effort for me to switch it.
  • SideEffect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SideEffect polycounter lvl 19
    how are you switching it, I can't even see how its possible to see it going counter-clockwise
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I also want to take a toll on how many of you (3d graphic/2d artists), are right handed, and how many are left handed.

[/ QUOTE ]

<maroon5> this - post - is - taking a toll - on me </maroon5>

Handedness in art means nothing. There's some evidence that creative/artistic people are more frequently left-handed than the rest of the population, but the hand you use to create the art has no effect on how good an artist you can be.

Unless you're teaching the kid to throw baseballs (lefty pitchers are always in demand!), let him grab and go with whatever hand he feels comfortable with. If he's naturally a lefty and you try to force him to use his right, you'll likely do more to slow his creative growth than encourage it.
  • spider2cool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blankslatejoe, I think you are right! I was looking at this page: http://www.web-us.com/brain/LRBrain.html

Its opened my eyes to a different understanding. after reading the differences between the halves of the brain. I realize that no matter which hand you use, you still use different parts of your brain to process things. I am glad i wrote this topic up, it has helped me understand a bit more of the learning process.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    what is this, the middle ages? let the kid draw with whichever hand comes naturally. and no, don't ask him.
    my father is left handed but plays many sports right handed because of societal pressure from when he was growing up. despite the fact that left-handed players in many sports have an advantage, since people aren't used to playing against them.
    i'm left handed too, and i could start listing you all the terribly creative people that are/were left-handed, but that's silly. this really is a non-issue. there are far more pressing issues for you to be paying attention to as a parent with regards to providing a loving, stable environment that will go far further in raising your son as an artistic wunderkind than which hand you put the crayon in.
  • spider2cool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vermilion I was responding to blankslatejoe when you posted. I totally agree. Thank you everyone for the quick responses.
  • spider2cool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol WOW, everytime i post to say i have a new understanding someone else responds. Thank you gauss...Everyone has definatly opened my eyes.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    yeah, i agree with gauss. in fact, I've heard some stories of people getting REALLY fucked up over having to switch to using an other-than-natural hand. I'm not going to go do reasearch, but you should take a look around. forcing left handed kids to be right handed, it seems to me, can cause all sorts of problems.. (like.. dyslexia?? not sure)

don't do it. aside from the possibility of damage, the idea that creativity is an attribute that can only be accessed by a specific physical gesture is.... hmm..
  • spider2cool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EDIT EDIT EDIT ok thank you all for the info and the insite. I feel silly now for being so nieve. Not sure how to remove the poll. If i can get an administrator to end the poll or end the topic please.
  • spider2cool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    and by the way....i never planned on forcing him to be righthanded....if he went left handed so be it...i was just planning on encouraging by handing things to him to his right hand....I am not worried about it anymore
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    how are you switching it, I can't even see how its possible to see it going counter-clockwise

[/ QUOTE ]

For me, it just... happens. At first glance, it was clockwise and stayed that way as long as I focused on it. When I looked over to read the list and focused on that, I noticed the animation again out of the corner of my eye, and it was counter-clockwise. Pretty disturbing, really.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    There is no automatically set art geniuses...'nuff said.
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    OMFG you would have been a happy man in soviet union, cause there all leftis were force teaches to righties in school.
    And im not kidding...

BTW i think castrating makes better childrens picturebook artists.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    teach him to be ambidexterous smile.gif
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    I think the greatest thing you can do as a parent is give the child options and then support it 100% in whatever it naturally tends towards, even if it's cabaret performance or whatever.

[/ QUOTE ]

precisely. my parents took the same approach with me, encouraged natural tendencies, and i also believe its the only way to go.
    dont be greedy. have faith and respect in your child. why do you think anything nature has given him isn't good as it is?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Break his fingers if he tries to draw with anything other then his toes.

Seriously it doesn't matter, no, really it doesn't. My brother tried this "be right handed" stuff with my nephews. Try as he might the youngest picked left and the oldest (11) is ambidextrous. He never favored one or the other and practices writing and drawing with both, it's pretty cool to watch. I'm pretty sure the youngest decided to go left after being pressured to use the right hand. So you could end up pushing him the opposite direction.

I'm left handed and I suck as an artist, so that whole left handed people have talent gifted to them is total BS. Everything tiny bit of talent I have is from hard work and practice.

The only draw back would be draconian parents who prefer one hand over the other, and that if he chooses left, he'll have to pick his hand up when he writes because he'll smear whatever it is he's writing to hell and back. Which actually is a GREAT habit to be into even if you're right handed.

Kids need to make choices on their own, we need to teach them how to make those choices, not make the choices for them. Let him find his own path, you just worry about helping him along when he needs it.

As for the dancing girl, I posted that a few months back, here are some suggestions for getting to flip over.
    - Stare at the shadow under her feet, try to imagine it going the other way.
    - Focus on the background and kind of let your vision drift off the dancer as if you're looking at one of those hidden 3D puzzles.
    - I had another trick but I can't remember it... had something to do with her arm...
  • SideEffect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SideEffect polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    For me, it just... happens. At first glance, it was clockwise and stayed that way as long as I focused on it. When I looked over to read the list and focused on that, I noticed the animation again out of the corner of my eye, and it was counter-clockwise. Pretty disturbing, really.

[/ QUOTE ]

holy crap I stared at it for like an hour and I finally blinked and saw it. I felt like Mr. Pitt from Seinfeld staring at that magic eye painting haha. How in the hell does that work?
  • rebb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rebb polycounter lvl 17
    All i know is, never ever force someone who is left-handed to be right-handed. One of my older brothers was a lefty too, but they forced him to use his right hand in school back when he was a kid. This caused some sort of learning disability and he never really became as good in school as he could have been.
  • _Shimmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Shimmer polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Now I'm no father and can't tell anyone about raising a child. However, I'll say I never see any plan to "shape" kids turn out to be a great success. When parents decide they want the kid to be a football star or great artist or whatever... tends to backlash. I think the greatest thing you can do as a parent is give the child options and then support it 100% in whatever it naturally tends towards, even if it's cabaret performance or whatever.

Just don't let him become one of those macfags.

EDIT just as an aside.. just about everyone I ever knew for which drawing skills came swiftly and "naturally" were left-handed. Whatever, even if you teach a southpaw to write with his right hand he's still a southpaw. You can't change that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Total quote!

I would like to add that apparently I am not full left handed but I tended to use my left hand for drawing when I was a kid. My grandma taught me to use my right hand instead of the left. the end result is I have problems with intuitively recognizing right and left and I hate my grandma for that.

dont make your kids hate you and causing traffic jams...
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    I'm a lefty...most lefties are ambidexterous ..I have my wacom on my left side, and my mouse on the right. We were all just born on the wrong side of the looking glass
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    I know my grandfather was ambidextrous, mostly because he was forced to use his right hand at his school, because at that time his teachers believed the left hand to still be evil, you know the left hand is called the "sinistral" hand.

But yeah, don't pressure your kid into art, if you do, he'll probably become and accountant.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    and make lots of money! think about that for when you're retired
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    listen to your wife.

if I were you, i'd do art with the kid around. show him what's possible. just be an inspiration. then hand him a box of crayons and paper, a pencil set, maybe some paint. let him make his own choice. if over the years he shows an interest in learning from you, show him all you know. never make it a task.

my parents never turned me toward art. it was something i enjoyed as a kid, because it was creative, and i seemed to be a step ahead of others. and my family supported my talents.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Vermillion - that's spooky shit man. I tried looking off to the side, and it switched to counter clock. It took a while to switch back to clockwise
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    you are a total fucking retard, and i hope your son doesnt get your stupid retard genes
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    I strongly urge you to pick up some books on parenting and possibly enroll in some classes on it as well. I'm sorry but I find it a bit unsettling that someone as ignorant as yourself is raising a child.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Leave your children alone if anything force them to be losers so they rebel and do something useful with their lives. I was left handed when I was born, I saw kids use their right hand to write at school so I became right handed. If anything encourage the children to be losers so they rebel and do something with their lives. I mean really right hand left, that's just silly. The whole loser comment was a sarcastic comment as well wink.gif

On a more serious note, you can find out how colors stimulate the mind though, and use that, but other than that, leave the kind alone and just treat him with respect and love. Last time I read, scientist figured out that bright colors are more stimulating to an infants brain than pastel colors, so they said that it's better for them to have bright colors on their walls, etc than pastel colors since pastel colors are less stimulating. The worst thing you could do is have grey colors around them. So if your children are still infants you may want to have bright colors around them all the time instead of those lame pastel colors. The other thing you should do is read to them as early as possible and often.

Alex
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Protip for would-be fathers: Get a blonde wife. I read a pretty convincing study that Aryan kids are brighter, more successful and have better morals.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would that "study" be Arthur de Gobineau's "An Essay on the Inequality of the Human Races"?
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    When I was a kid, left handed people were put in asylums and beaten with rubber hoses. They were treated almost as badly as ginger haired people.
    Having said I am slightly ambidextrous as in after a bit of practice I can now play good pool/snooker left handed.
  • Motz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Motz polycounter lvl 12
    I dont mean to be off topic, but forcing the kid to do art is'nt going to make him like it. Expose him to it, but choosing the hand he uses is totally fucking ridiculous. My mom tried to get me to be a singer, and guess what, I was'nt in control so I dropped it. I'm capable, but I hate it to death because of the seed she planted.

Let the kid be what he wants. If he likes your art, support the interest, but let him choose what he wants to draw and do. Just being around it and not having pressure will give you more result than which hand your going to pick for him.

[ QUOTE ]
    I strongly urge you to pick up some books on parenting and possibly enroll in some classes on it as well. I'm sorry but I find it a bit unsettling that someone as ignorant as yourself is raising a child.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

I also did'nt see a dancer, I saw a god damned sailboat. smile.gif
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Rhino and Astro ... guys come on those comments are in no way helpful or even worth posting.

Becoming a parent is a crazy thing and it's a huge change. A lot of people are ignorant to what to do and what not to do. This guy came here to ask an honest question so let's not flame him for that.

Growing up I was right handed. I throw a baseball, football, draw and write with my right hand. I broke my wrist in 2nd grade though and had to learn to write left handed and even though I'm out of practice I still can do it today. I can golf, swing a baseball bat and throw a football with both my left and right hand but that came from a lot of muscle memory and practice. I mainly golf and swing a bat left handed though even though I am right handed.

Now my experiences with my son who is now 2 1/2 have been amazing. I have let him pretty much lead the way with what he wants to do and I do it with him. He loves to color and draw and he does it with both hands. I picked him up one of those drawing boards with the metal shavings and magnet that can easily be cleared by sliding a bar. He takes it everywhere with him.

I have even had him sit and watch me sculpt for quite a while and he sits there and plays with his play doh.

My wife and I read to him and try to interact with him as much as possible.

I guess the most important thing is to just spend quality time with them doing something they enjoy and sparks their interest and helps encourage development.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Rhino and Astro ... guys come on those comments are in no way helpful or even worth posting.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not helpful to recommend reading up or taking a class on raising a child to a new parent who appears to have a limited knowledge on the subject? I guess I should have told my therapist that when he recommended it to me then as well.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not helpful to recommend reading up or taking a class on raising a child to a new parent who appears to have a limited knowledge on the subject? I guess I should have told my therapist that when he recommended it to me then as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was referring to "I'm sorry but I find it a bit unsettling that someone as ignorant as yourself is raising a child. "

Yes it is good to suggest books but the second remark I thought was out of place, but hey thats your opinion and that was mine. Let's move on shall we. This threads not about us.

There are a lot of books out there and web sites that can really help you understand what can encourage growth.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    I saw that ballerina a while ago, and I can switch direction at will. Pretty cool though.
  • Vitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    ahah come on... all this brain lateralization talk is a bit of crap too. Phrenology is no longer considered a science even... your brain is a lot more complex then that! Not true, sorry :\
  • spider2cool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For those to took me seriously and helped me understand THANK YOU. for the rest of you who did not read the part about not needing any snide remarks, you can go f...well i will be polite. I never felt i wanted to force him to do anything. I was not going to ever skold him or anything...was just going to hand the pincil to his right hand. JESUS! I said along time a go that I was wrong and nieve. Not everyone knows everything about everything. That is why I asked. Now i am enlightened and I understand the nieve-ness of my thoughts. Seriously calling me a retard and saying my genes are stupid is not productive. JesseMoody Thank you for your comment. I am not some Nazi trying to conform my child...I already have one little girl and i never forced her to do anything and she is a happy left handed little girl. I love her just the way she is. This was just a casual discussion i was hiving with my wife, and i did not know if there was a difference. So i did the next best thing, asked an art community that i know. Most were respectful and helped me understand. I thank those people. As for the cuple tards, learn to read "I don't want snide remarks".
  • Motz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Motz polycounter lvl 12
    So now you are trying to control how strangers post or think? Just because you said no snide remarks doesn't take their right to opinion away. If the negative opinion isn't valued then just go walk in front of a mirror and tell yourself good things over and over. You have to value and weigh both. Same as your child will choose for themselves. Be content regardless of that choice is what most are saying, but that is common sense for most people. Your posts show the lack of that in metric tons.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    ig·no·rant
    Pronunciation[ig-ner-uhnt]
    –adjective
    1. lacking in knowledge or training; unlearned: an ignorant man.
    2. lacking knowledge or information as to a particular subject or fact: ignorant of quantum physics.
    3. uninformed; unaware.
    4. due to or showing lack of knowledge or training: an ignorant statement.

[/ QUOTE ]

You lacked knowledge on the subject which is why you posted here initially, therefore you were ignorant.

I have no doubt that you love your children very much, but since this was something that you were ignorant about it gave me cause to wonder what other things you were ignorant to regarding raising children, therefore, I suggested you buy a book or take some classes on the subject. If you think my concern for your abilities raising a child makes me a "tard" then that's your problem.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    jesus god allah buddha spaghetti monster someone please close this thread before another person makes themself look like a jerk
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
This discussion has been closed.