Home Technical Talk

Character Mod for UT3

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
clee101 polycounter lvl 18
Anyone have any good info on how to get your character into UT3 with the Unreal Editor?

Replies

• Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    if it's anything like ut 2004, it probably involves editing some text files outside of the editor. someone seriously needs to start poking around.
  • clee101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    clee101 polycounter lvl 18
    Hi Snowfly, I rememeber you from the Dominance War. So far I have done some research and found some good tutorial here:
    http://udn.epicgames.com/Two/ActorXMaxTutorial.html

Im gonna keep looking into it. Ill see how things go..
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's the easy part smile.gif Actually getting the characters in-game is still a mystery for most of us.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    I have had no luck starting the game, I think the horrible x-fi card I have is to blame, nothing but trouble.

edit: semiwrong thread.. ops wink.gif
  • MacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MacD polycounter lvl 18
    Did Epic release a standard skeleton you can skin/physique your character up to for UT3 yet?
  • Mtg_kirin
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice find mtg kirin!
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    [ QUOTE ]
    Did Epic release a standard skeleton you can skin/physique your character up to for UT3 yet?

[/ QUOTE ]

udn website has them on there too, under the engine 3 section. male, female, and the krall, which I'm guessing is in that link, although I can't seem to find them on the official udn site anymore.. hmm
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    gah, .max, i can't use that frown.gif
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    I cant use that because i only have max 7. frown.gif
    Is it for max 8 or 9?
  • Mtg_kirin
  • Husch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Husch polycounter lvl 18
    Maybe someone can export it as FBX and Collada? I think for binding the mesh to it in and exporting the character you only need the FK bones, right? No need for the whole working rig with IK. Or are there any IK elements used in the engine after export?
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    [ QUOTE ]
    Maybe someone can export it as FBX and Collada?

[/ QUOTE ]
    agreed

Nothing wrong using exchange formats that almost every modern-day modeler can open!
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Nice find. If I get a chance I will try to export for ya guys today. smile.gif

Im afraid now to see just how much I have f'ed up my character from their bone specs..
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    if you dig into the character packages, you'll find that entire characters are actually multiple skeletal meshes, and are assembled real-time through the character customization.

I'm fairly certain you should be able to create an entire character as one custom bit, but it wouldn't be customizable.

To make it fully customizable, the UVs need to be laid out in a specific manner. With additional bits, you need new textures, but in the end they're all assembled into full textures based on what you set up in the character customization screen. All the bits are set up in the ini's, and then made accessible in the customization screen. A "character" is defined by their head, and the shoulders, chest, arms, legs, boots, helmets, goggles, facemasks, etc are all "accessories," to which you could do some creative stuff with (facemasks maybe being additional cod-pieces if you're so inclined wink.gif).

UDN is currently being updated, which is why you may not be able to find specific info on there currently.
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    [ QUOTE ]

UDN is currently being updated, which is why you may not be able to find specific info on there currently.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the update Moose smile.gif
  • MacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MacD polycounter lvl 18
    What IronHawk said, Moose. UDN/three seems to be down for me...at least it was yesterday. Couldn't get anywhere, really, on either of the two udn sites. I'll try again tomorrow.

I did find someone who posted the Marcus GoW skeleton in .smd format (released in max9/2008, or so they said) [I could mail it if anyone wants...I forgot the link] and a weblink to the UT3 skeletons...but I can't open them in max8 either, and I can't get to the skeletons on udn, as all the links people posted are/were down.
    So, oXYnary, if you could be so kind to resave them in a more universal format than max9/2008 (like say, max8 :P) you would have my eternal* gratitude.

*for a given definition of 'eternal'.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, I converted. Here is the file.

http://www.oxynary.com/downloads/UT3CharConv.zip

There seems to be a large difference in the number of polies on the characters. I guess Im glad mine is in the middle (though it wont be customizable). Is the facial plugin working in the game? I have a full facial rig and would like to use it (Team Fortress 2 does it very well, and shows its not wasted having one).

Oh, and if this is a no-no scold me and Ill take it down.
  • MacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MacD polycounter lvl 18
    Thank you, oXYnary! Grabbed them before anyone can scold you smile.gif
    And now I am eternally* gratefull to you, to boot!

*for the next day or two and every time I use these skeletons :P

-edit-
    gotta get up early tomorrow morning, so I'm not gonna tempt myself with opening these now. Does anyone know what the reason is for the female file to be smaller than the male? I noticed the original max files where the female was near half the filesize, and these have a difference too between the male/female. Anyone know the reason behind that?
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moose, if you get a chance, can you explain whats going on with the weapons boning?

There is a Bib_Ik Hand root as a child of the bipeds root, and its position is at the center bottom of the character.
    Then its children are the Bib_IK_Gun and sub children of

Root
    -Bip_IK_Hand_Root (bottom center of character)
    --Bib_Ik_Gun (constrained to/at right hand)
    ---Bip_IK_Hand_R (constrained to/at right hand)
    ---Bip_IK_Hand_L (constrained to/at left hand)

What is the Hand Root for since its at the bottom? Something so the IK alone?

Then, there is another gun attachement under each hand itself.

Bip01_R_Hand
    -Bip_RightWeapon

And
    Bip01_L_Hand
    -Bip_LeftWeapon

However, attached as a child of the right hand on the Krull.

Bip01_R_Hand
    -Bip_RightWeapon
    --b_gun_root
    ---b_gun_lefthand (its in mid space not on left side)

Is the Krull one a mistake? Why are the weapon placements listed so many times? (One from root and one from the hand itself?)
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    will try my best here, i mostly did environment textures :P did a Krall skin though! smile.gif

cant speak for the bip bone names specifically, are there bone names in those files? The left and right hand bones are the "sixth finger" looking thing that goes from the wrist to kind of center of the hand floating in space a bit. the bone names should be b_RightWeapon, b_LeftWeapon. Not sure if that helps, haha... didnt touch that stuff at all frown.gif
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Oxy: Ignore the Bip_ prefixed bone nodes. they aren't used by the models in game, just the b_ skeleton set is the bind skel. I believe the BIP_ nodes are a control structure for the b_ bind skeleton.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea, I think the above is reflected in the b-skeleton as well which still leads to the confusion. Cant look at the moment (too many programs open no t enough ram).

There is a error with my site. They moved the server and I dont think they got the new files. I am contacting them now, so I know about the converted model link not working. Just keep trying.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Oxy: Ignore the Bip_ prefixed bone nodes. they aren't used by the models in game, just the b_ skeleton set is the bind skel. I believe the BIP_ nodes are a control structure for the b_ bind skeleton.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Ok, got it open now.

Here is the problem. There are no gun attachments on the b_skeleton. Just the Bip biped. At least on the Krull. Totally lost.

(Can and admin move this to 2d-3d discussion?)
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There should be.

The FBX version of the krull has b_rightweapon and b_leftweapon parented to b_righthand and b_lefthand respectively.
  • Slaught
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slaught polycounter lvl 18
    I modeled a pair of sunglasses just to get used to the new engine and try out some stuff.

weyz7.jpg

Everything´s fine in the character customization, but ingame (in a match) the material of the sunglasses seems to be switched with the material of the head.

Anybody know a way around this or why exactly this is happening? confused.gif
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    There should be.

The FBX version of the krull has b_rightweapon and b_leftweapon parented to b_righthand and b_lefthand respectively.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, I don't know how I missed them last time. Problem is it still has this also (in the b)

b_root
    -B_IK_Hand_Root (bottom center of character)
    --B_Ik_Gun (constrained to/at right hand)
    ---B_IK_Hand_R (constrained to/at right hand)
    ---B_IK_Hand_L (constrained to/at left hand)

So I assume I need these bones as well. However, I again am wondering what they are for? Seems to be adding to the total bone count needlessly.

P.S. Spiffy shades Slaught!
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slaught: One thing moose mentioned was that the character's textures are generated /compacted at runtime, so for any given part needs to have non overlapping UV space with any other part. Ie the arms can't be over the thighs, but every arm layout should be in the same part of the UV map. Take a look through the material browser for how the goggles are set up. Put your goggle texture in that same UV space, and texture it on a 2048X2048 map. Then re-import and they should show up fine.

Oxy: they could be for Physx character ragdolls. :shrug:
  • Slaught
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slaught polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome...it worked.
    Thanks Vailias! grin.gif
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    This will be fun
    zombieut.jpg
    Someone please make a Tutorial, this pretty one wants to get in the game and eat some brains! wink.gif
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    is that a whole character mod or just ahead replacement?
  • diZzyWalnut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    diZzyWalnut polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    bad luck - mine 3DS MAX 8 SP3 crash when I try to import
    Your .FBX convert files. mad.gif

There's not chance to get the UT3 files in 3DS MAX 8 format ? cool.gif

THANKS
  • rkg456
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary wrote: »

There seems to be a large difference in the number of polies on the characters. I guess Im glad mine is in the middle (though it wont be customizable). Is the facial plugin working in the game? I have a full facial rig and would like to use it (Team Fortress 2 does it very well, and shows its not wasted having one).

Oh, and if this is a no-no scold me and Ill take it down.

Hi. Thanks for the file conversions. The .dae files load great into XSI. I have a favor to ask of you.... Would you be so kind as to do the same conversion for the Gears of War model. It also uses UnReal Ed and I do most of my Modding for that game. I am using the XSI Mod tool in stead of Max. Here is the link to the Marcus.max file. It is at the very bottom of the page. http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/GearsMods.html

Thanks in advance......

RKG456
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Working on it. This model is cool, has facial animation.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Latest versions of FBX and Colladra used. Its was the only way to capture facial animation.

http://www.oxynary.com/downloads/GearsofWarMarcusFacialConversion.zip
  • nezach
  • Knut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    clee101 wrote: »
    Anyone have any good info on how to get your character into UT3 with the Unreal Editor?

http://www.immortalknightz.com/tutorials/UT3CustomChars/index.html :)

Hi, my name is Knut by the way. I'm new here etc.
    I got my character in-engine, and he moves in the character selection screen (turning head, moving fingers etc) but not in the actual game. Edit: In fact after I installed UT3patch2 just now, cleaned up the CustomChars.ini file and re-imported him he's invisible in game, but still working in the character selection screen. Have anyone here gotten a character in game and had it actually move a round? I think I'm missing a key element here :\ I followed all the steps in the tutorial but he just won't move :poly134:

Here's an in-engine shot with way too much specularity. As you can see he's posing and all so the bones obviously work.

kingingame01.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

Edit: Fixed, I messed up the .ini file with adding a new family assuming it would just leave him out of other characters' accessory groups, but it appears I need custom animations for that too ;) I gotta tone down the specular though, and add some colors.

kingingame03.jpg