Home General Discussion

Yahtzee visits Valve...

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
adam polycounter lvl 19
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles...ve-a-Travelogue

"I wonder how Valve gets by with no traditional corporate structure, no defined roles, no orders from on high. The theory is that every employee is carefully analyzed to make sure they have both a great personal passion for the medium and that they're sufficiently grounded in reality to see a product through to the end. But there's got to be more to it than that. Good leadership, perhaps. The right words in the right place and making sure there are always plenty of brownies in the kitchen."

-I want that before I ever retire

Replies

• Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    -I want that before I ever retire

[/ QUOTE ]

No kidding, sounds like a freakin amazing place to work.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    I was once told by someone who worked at SAP (biggest b2b software developer world wide) that having all these nice benefits at your work-place (something SAP, Google etc are famous for I guess) come with a huge price, which he was not willing to pay (and thus quit the company).

What was it? Well if they have all these nice things, like a fitness room, free coke in the fridge etc then they also expect you to use it, which basicly means that you will be working 16-18 hour a day (or at least you are at your work-place that long each day).
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    I have that.

envy me.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    lol yatzee for the wins

""Medium," "Large" and "King Size"? What the fuck is that? How the fuck can "Medium" be the smallest? Do you even know what the word "Medium" means? This is why you're all so fat, you bunch of road sign-shooting Yankee pillocks."
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    great the form i submitted is no longer valid. thnx polycount forums!
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    rawkstar: when that happens, just hit the back button. the text will still be there. copy/paste it into a new reply.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    I like it when beer turns up in the fridge ...
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    I like it when beer turns up in the fridge ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Happens every Friday. And I have free coke and drinks in the fridge w/out expectation of >8hr days. I was more or less commenting on the way its employee's are regarded.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    I like feeling like I'm treated as an adult. On this project we haven't really had much mandatory crunch - maybe five days, total. We all knew what we needed to get done and have paced ourselves accordingly, and management trusted us to do so. A lot of us end up staying late to make deadlines, but it's our decision to do so - and that goes a long way towards making the long hours not feel as shitty.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    I like feeling like I'm treated as an adult. On this project we haven't really had much mandatory crunch - maybe five days, total. We all knew what we needed to get done and have paced ourselves accordingly, and management trusted us to do so. A lot of us end up staying late to make deadlines, but it's our decision to do so - and that goes a long way towards making the long hours not feel as shitty.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo, I could quote this and say its the truth for the project I'm on as well. I've done about 3 days of OT total..
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Same here. I only see myself leaving for another place that would questions my every click and make me Vogon every decision that needs to be made. I've had to deal with that in previous jobs and I really don't want to deal with that again. The only way I would leave would be to have the same atmosphere working on a game with subject mater that appeals to me more, or if the company goes under which it doesn't look that will happen any time soon. The drinks in the fridge, the snacks in the cupboard, the moral events, the stock options if the company ever goes public, those are all nice but not why I'm there.

With that said, Valve looks like a great place to work, it always has. It's weird knowing that just a few blocks away, hours and hours of my future enjoyment are being made.
  • animatr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    animatr polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Bingo, I could quote this and say its the truth for the project I'm on as well. I've done about 3 days of OT total..

[/ QUOTE ]

haha. we get the cokes in the fridge and all that, but i've done about 5 months of overtime. frown.gif
  • Ephesians 2:8-9
    [ QUOTE ]
    I have that.

envy me.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, ENVY ME. We get PAID OT. ha ha haaaaaaaaaa.

:P
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Stock share ownership FTW.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    slum: that never works for me for some reason whenever i go back the text field is always empty... so i lose everything i wanted to post... i guess i need to get into a habbit of copying my post before posting
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think someone mentioned it has to do with the browser security settings? The text might be stored in a cookie or something similar. If thats the case, relax people are not going to steal your interweb cookies...

Or it was an IE only issue and other browsers like firefox don't eat posts.
    /me waves firefox banner around while chanting "join us!"