Home Technical Talk

md3-export with 3ds Max 8?

Herr W
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Herr W polycounter lvl 17
Hi everyone!

I hope there is someone among you who can tell me if any of the md3-export plugins works with 3ds Max 8!? What I found out is that none of them works with Max 2008...

Replies

• CrazyButcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
    plugin compatibility is normally like this

compiled for -> works in
    max5.1 -> max5.1

max6 -> max6,7,8
    max7 -> max7,8
    max8 -> max8

max9 -> max9,max2008
    max2008 -> max2008
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    I think there is a script to export to md3 that is supposed to be better than the plugins that were out there, so that might work. It might work since it's a maxscript and those usually survive to the newer versions. I think the script I'm talking about is the one for GMax but I have never tried it. The other way to export to md3 is to export to ase. I believe there is a tool out there that will open and convert it to ase. I should look into this since it would allow me to export files from XSI to md3.

Crazy a lot of the plugins for max 4 worked in 5. Some Max 5 plugins worked in 6. The way plugins have to be constantly recompiled for newer versions of Max is BS if you ask me. wink.gif I think there was a great deal of flexibility between Max 4 to 6, but after version 7 they went back to the rigid crap they had before.

Alex
  • Herr W
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the quick replies! You helped me a lot, cause meanwhile I found out that at least one of the exporters ("Enhanced MD3 Exporter v3.0") definitely works with Max 6.

There is another list about compatibilities on www.maxplugins.de which is pretty similar to CrazyButcher's:

>Max 1 plugins only work in Max 1.

>Max 2 plugins only work in Max 2.

>Max 3 plugins only work in Max 3.

>Max 4 plugins always work in Max 4 and usually work in Max 5.

>Max 5 plugins always work in Max 5 and often work in Max 4.

>Max 6 plugins always work in Max 6 and usually work in Max 7 and Max 8.

>Max 7 plugins always work in Max 7, sometimes work in Max 6 and usually work in Max 8.

>Max 8 plugins always work in Max 8 and sometimes work in Max 6 and Max 7.

>Max 9 plugins always work in Max 9 and usually work in Max 2008. If there are both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the plugin, the 32-bit plugin will only work with 32-bit Max 9 (and Max 2008), and the 64-bit plugin will only work with 64-bit Max 9 (and Max 2008).

>Max 2008 plugins always work in Max 2008 and often work in Max 9. If there are both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the plugin, the 32-bit plugin will only work with 32-bit Max 2008 (and Max 9), and the 64-bit plugin will only work with 64-bit Max 2008 (and Max 9).

So it seems to be pretty likely that the exporter works with Max 8.

I'm not good in file-formats, but isn't "ase" only for static meshes?
  • Herr W
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ... For everyone with the same problem: The exporter works with Max 7 and 8!