Home General Discussion

sequential art grad schools?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
snemmy polycounter lvl 18
my roommate is looking to go to graduate school and is wondering what schools offer good sequential art programs?
more to the point: a sequential art program that allows for cross-disciplinary works. i.e. she makes her pages by painting them with oils, which she is currently working on a series.

she's also interested in portfolio based scholarships?

Replies

• moose
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    i think most schools wouldn't specialize in sequential art specifically, rather the medium the art is. If there are schools that do (which im sure there are), I would think it'd be better to go for a masters in art and just develop and learn the sequential ideas to apply to the work.

id think that the sequential nature of her work would be the thesis/core of the pieces, and process itself would be the degree - ie, Masters of Painting,Drawing,Arts, etc. The work itself is what the degree is for, but the ideas the art conveys (sequential, tryptic, mural whatever) is how the degree is earned.

I know Bowling Green St. Univ (in Ohio) has a decent graduate program, but i think that it was pretty regimented into disciplines in printmaking, painting, glass, sculpture, digital, etc. However i know they are very open and free flowing - I did a sr. life painting class there digitally, worked it out with the professor and taught him and myself about it; so i think if her work was there and a school liked it enough, they should be flexible to her works and needs. If a school wasnt supportive of what the graduate art student was after, then I'd think that school wouldn't be the right place to learn.
  • snemmy
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    i think she's looking more for a school that has professors who can teach her about sequential art rather than tailoring a class to her needs. and wants one where those professors arent so uptight that she cant make use her expressive oil paint style as she has heard about SCAD.
  • blankslatejoe
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    this sounds like exactly what you're looking for:

http://www.cartoonstudies.org/

its a fairly new, smaller, school, but has a masters program, instructors are well known/respected professional comic people (eddie campbell, stan sakai, chris staros, etc) and, judging from the instructor list, they would encourage mixed media/non-traditional approaches.

Basically, I've heard nothing but good things about that place so far.

Goodluck!
  • Sage
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    SCAD has had that degree since 1995, so it may be crap now but I heard it was great at the time. I was going to go there for that when I was trying to become a Comic Book Artist. I think Poop graduated from there, so you might want to ask him about it.

www.scad.edu

The cons of that school is that it's expensive as hell to go there and the area it's in can be dangerous so you have to have some street smarts there or you'll get a mugging. From talking to students there they told me that they tell you what to avoid in Orientation.

Alex