Home General Discussion

laptop or desktop

Ruz
polycount lvl 666
Offline / Send Message
Ruz polycount lvl 666
still unsure about whether to get a laptop or a new desktop pc. I will have to lug it up to dundee every so often, so obviously a laptop is a good solution for this, but a good un is so damn expensive.
I could get a decent desktop bare bones for about 400 quid, but obviously its not as portable, though cases are quite small these days so it would fit in to a smallish suitcase.

what do you think.
I was tempted to go for a dell m90 if I went for the notebook option.
Would this run unreal editor( latest one) and run next gen games along with 3d apps with full pixel shader support?

Replies

• Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    If it's for work, invest in the laptop. If you go with the desktop lugging it back and forth will make you regret it very quickly...If you go the laptop route you may not satisfy your gaming itch. It's really up to your needs...it took me months of ..soul searching? to convince myself the laptop was worth it, haven't looked back since.

Have you thought about keeping a desktop at both locations, and just getting a portable HD?
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    yeah the laptop seems the way to go, but they are so damn pricey and hard to upgrade.
    I basically need one that will run 3dsmax - have support for at least pixel shader 2.0 and will also run the latest unreal engine games/editor properly.

I would probably buy a new desktop machine later on when my finances are n't so messed up:)
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I am thinking of either a 'sony VAIO AR51E' or a 'Pavillion HP DV9667 ea'
    The HP has a geforce 8600 GS 256MB but you can get the VAIO with the GT version which is twice as powerful.
    Any thoughts anyone?
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Both will probably be good machines. I've liked my HP, and I think Poop has also... Hawken has a different story though wink.gif

HP does have horrible customer service though... And I did tell HP that I wouldn't recommend them to anyone anymore, so I shouldn't be recommending it wink.gif
    I can't speak for Sony though... I've never bought their laptops because they were always WAY more pricey. I do know they laptops are supposed to be pretty solid though.

One thing to keep in mind is that the HP has a number pad, while the Sony doesn't... I'm not sure if that matters to you, but it did for me. The HP also has more video ram, which should come in handy.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah Poops said he likes his hp.

Dude I think it has been mentioned in other threads but check out http://www.notebookforums.com Pretty much the most honest info you will find on any laptop you might get.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, check out http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/?tag=cnetfd.dir also. CNet usually has some decent reviews, with customer reviews also.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I think we should all buy the laptop Poop has.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We should just buy Poop, then use his laptop...
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    I think poop should buy us all a laptop.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    Thanks guys. I will rpbably go with the HP at 999 quid is fairly pricey but in laptop terms not 'that' pricey.

Perhaps I should buy on the basis of which has the prettiest carrying case instead:)
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    HP has good laptops, and they usually look pretty damn slick. Just don't go with Toshiba. They have the worst customer service in the known universe.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    yeah sonic , the one I have my eye on does look really stylish.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    I love my Toshiba tablet PC, granted their tech support is shit but I dont plan on calling tech support anytime soon.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    mm the Dell XPSTM M1730 seems the best for me I suppose, but its around 1600 quid.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    I don't know what a quid is (as far as money conversion), but a friend of mine got his computer from here and hasn't had any problems out of it, yet.
    http://www.ibuypower.com/mall/lobby.htm
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, as I said, HP's customer service is utter shit. I tried to get a simple bluetooth issue resolved, and their suggestion was to restore my operating system. This would of course leave me with the same problem (using bluetooth to constantly transmit audio to my headphones, would cause XP to bluescreen). I only asked for driver updates, since my laptop was a custom build and there weren't any clear drivers available. Instead I went through multiple levels of India support hell, which constantly offered useless advice.

Dell on the other hand, has moved their customer service back to knowledgeable staff.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    DONT GET A HP!!!

http://www.dadako.com/ikea-part-2

I lost a huge rant about it but the long and short of it all is, HP's customer service is like talking to Vogons, they release hardware with NO drivers (I had a dx9 card with the last driver update only covering dx8). The hardware they throw together in the machines is a wild guess, they just simply wait for it to break and give you a new machine at a lower spec.

And if you plan to go to another country, forget about getting it repaired should it break down.

All in all, I had such a shit time with my rather insanely powerful HP zd7000, that it drove me to switch to Mac. You wouldn't want that.

I would recommend the sony. Even though the HP has a numeric keypad (which I used a lot for max) the sony machine is built for endurance.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    That sounds Bad. Do you know if they have improved of late?
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't believe they have. I experienced my crappy customer service about 6 months after Hawken had his experience. I've heard horror stories a year prior to Hawken's also. So, I doubt they've changed in the past year with such a track record of suckdom.
    Actually, reading Hawken's post reminded me of my Vista change over. I installed Vista onto my laptop, then discovered that HP wasn't going to support Vista drivers on any hardware that wasn't built for Vista. So basically, they only covered a handful of models that they sold with the 'Vista ready' tags. Initially I didn't let it bother me too much since the laptop was working. Then I went to upgrade the video, since the video performance was lagging. HP didn't have drivers (said to go to ATI), then ATI changed their policies and said you have to go to the laptop manufacturer for the drivers. So basically neither company was going to support me for Vista. I'm now running Ubuntu, where I get community support wink.gif
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stor...1&langId=-1
    My wife and I bought one of these and we love it.
    - 2.2Ghz
    - 320GB HD 5200rpm (160GBx2)
    - 2GB DDR2 ram (up to 4GB)
    - NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GT 256mb Dedicated, 1024mb allocated, supports Shader Model 4.0 and DX10
    - Not listed but it has a power saving function that uses an Intel card which is actually pretty decent and pushes the battery life up quite a bit. The Intel card plays TF2 at a min of 60fps, at max settings. GoW I have to switch to the GT.
    - The 320GB HD is kind of misleading because they advertise it as 320GB but it is actually two separate drives. Which worked out nicely because I wiped one and installed XP, which runs quicker. My wife boots into vista because she likes the pretty crap, I boot into XP because I like the tiny speed increase and 3DsMax seems to be more stable, which isn't a hardware issue, its a windows vista issue.

Personally I still can't get used to the viewing angle of laptop displays which is fine for modeling but I can't use it to paint textures or do lighting passes, I just don't trust it. The keyboard bugs me also, the bio sensor is in a place it gets tripped easily until you disable it. I still stick to my desktop 80% of the time because my wife is a freak about putting the laptop away and I'd rather not hassle with setting it up each time.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Man I love my xps m1710. Customer service with complete care warranty is fucking amazing. Best I have ever had. I had one of my lights burn out on my laptop on the side panel. Really no big deal. I called Dell and in 2 days a tech was at my house with a replacement and put it in. No sending my laptop in for repair and waiting forever.

My power adaptor is acting funky right now and I got online last night to chat with someone. Yeah you can call or chat online. He sent it out overnight and I'll get the new one tomorrow.

My next laptop will be another dell. Just can't say enough how awesome my experience has been.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    If you get an laptop it might be usefull to look out of one that has a (fully compatible) MXM-III or higher GPU slot (which really not very many have), as this would (at least theoretically) allow you to upgrade your GPU when the next generation arrives.

See this link for more information:
    http://www.mxm-upgrade.com/

It's a bit of a complicated mess right now, but it might get better in the future.
  • spitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spitty polycounter lvl 18
    i also don't recommend HP. my video card is clearly defective, but they refused to ever replace it. they replaced my cpu the first time i sent it back and then deleted my HD the second time i sent it back. now they refuse to take it for repairs and tell me i should have bought a laptop with nvidia instead of ati.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    well I made a bold choice in the end and got an acer.
    It has pretty good specs and Run gears of war at pretty near highest settings.
    little bit stuttery though but that may just be a driver issue.
    acer T7300 - Gforce 8600M GT 512Mb and intel core Duo centrino( 2gig each core). 320 GB hard drive
    output to HD tv.
    suppose the main bad thing about it is the short battery life at 1.5 hours.
    So Far though I am impressed and it has a '20 inch' monitor.
    jesus its huge and very heavy like a tank
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    while making those decisions, just keep in mind that customer support can vary greatly from country to country within a company such as dell or HP.