Home General Discussion

Fox will air Family Guy without Seth McFarlane

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
article

Fox is considering airing episodes of Family Guy without Seth McFarlane who is currently participating in the writers guild strike.

Replies

• snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    Good luck trying to find someone to do Brian's voice. Most of the other voices MacFarlane does are cartoony enough that a decent VO guy might be able to imitate them, but Brian is basically MacFarlane's voice unfiltered, without any sort of cartoonish quirkiness.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    "It would just be a colossal dick move if they did that,"

Is the best quote. I really think they should not air them. Gonna be a weird year with the the actors and directors set to do the same thing in June or around there.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Already heard this yesterday...though I don't watch it often they shouldn't strain the situation.

Also heard the writer's guild strike getting worse...
  • Justin Meisse
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    Bullshit!!! Thats just lame.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guess that's how much they owe the writers...pathetic.

But then again YouTube spends couple of million just for bandwidth.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    And nothing of importance was lost... tongue.gif
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    not like this turd show was any good anyway
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    that's it, im done.. im cashing my chips in.. get me off this crazy rock
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    not like this turd show was any good anyway

[/ QUOTE ]

what a fine point you've made here today without the use of capslock, cap'n doucherocket. and you found the english keyboard hidden in your ass. go on, share with us more of your lively interweb humor. *SMILEY FACE*
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

said the guy who just up and quit working in the middle of the season
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Main Entry: quit
    Function: noun
    : to give up or resign one's job or position

Main Entry: strike
    : a work stoppage by a body of workers to enforce compliance with demands made on an employer

He already gets a nice chunk DVD and other media sales since he's the show's creator and retains some IP rights. It's not as if he's just being a slacker or holding out for more money for himself; he's doing this mainly in support of his writers. Give him a break.

I guess this still isn't as bad as what Nickelodeon did to John K. They fired him from his own show (Ren & Stimpy) after just two seasons, and continued to butcher his show for several years after that. It's funny to listen to the audio commentary on the DVDs for the later seasons, because he pretty much just spends the whole time talking shit about how horrible the show became.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Main Entry: quit
    : to give up or resign one's job or position

Main Entry: strike
    : a work stoppage by a body of workers to enforce compliance with demands made on an employer

He already gets a nice chunk DVD and other media sales since he's the show's creator and retains some IP rights. It's not as if he's just being a slacker or holding out for more money for himself; he's doing this mainly in support of his writers. Give him a break.

I guess this still isn't as bad as what Nickelodeon did to John K. They fired him from his own show (Ren & Stimpy) after just two seasons, and continued to butcher his show for several years after that. It's funny to listen to the audio commentary on the DVDs for the later seasons, because he pretty much just spends the whole time talking shit about how horrible the show became.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok first off I used quit as a verb not a noun, and two, no I should not replace my sentence with with "the guy just up and struck in the middle of the season."

Lastly, it is not a dick move for fox to continue making the show. It makes them money. People's salaries depend on the show being made and making money. Writers aren't the only people who work. I'm not disputing his right to strike, but don't whine about how the owners of the show you were working on actually would like to continue working.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    screw the last couple posts, im probably just being argumentative.
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    well if that means no heavy reliance on crappy pop culture meme references and more onto plot then i'm all for it smile.gif
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    yeah, not enough plot in family guy. More subtle character development please, and more plot strands that open up to ambiguity and fervent discussion in interminable fucking internet threads.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    more bestiality and homosexual pedophilia references! Oh, nm those are in abundance in Family Guy.. laugh.gif
  • Robert Headley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Robert Headley polycounter lvl 18
    First point. Fox airing Family Guy without any of the writers would be a BAD move on their part. Because then they would probably get an exodus of talent.

Second point. Seth MacFarlane is part of the writer's union. As such, he is required to strike when everyone else does. This is the way that hollywood is. There is an actors strike and a stagehand striking both coming up shortly. Its their way of protecting the little man. Sure Seth Macfarlane is loaded, but the guy who just got $500 for a commercial that is aired 2000 times a day and can't eat isn't.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    family guy is ace. if anything it needs even more toilet humour.
    perhaps some of you guys should watch 'frazier' or some lovely old costume dramas instead
  • Spoon_of_death
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon_of_death polycounter lvl 17
    *sigh* have they removed another idea ball from the manatee basin AGAIN? I guess they never learn crazy.gif
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    I've missed the new ones, but I'd rather wait longer until Seth is back than see them put out there without his input.

Probably one of my favourite shows on TV here because its so offensive to all the PC crowd that seem to dictate the standards of 90% of american tv through their backward puritan double standards.

It's refreshing because its blunt, coarse and honest and I like that smile.gif

r.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Only watched some of Family guy, but I love it. For both the PC crowd abuse as Ror said, and the completely random, pythonesque humour ("It reminds me of the time I...."). You never know what to expect which I find very rare and welcome.

Sucks if Fox do this.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    well I am not really a fan of the racist stuff in Family guy, but overall I like it.
    I suppose the racist stuff is sufficently tongue in cheek not to offend my liberal minded sensibilities.

I really can't stand bigots though, pet hate of mine:/
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    congrats on your 1337th post;
    Don't really have an opinion here, just dropped in to say that

I honestly think it'd be hilarious to see fox try to find replacements, and see how terrible it ends up being, as of now I find it moderately funny.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe they will now make American Dad their feature show instead.
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    well considering Seth MacFarlane does Stan and Roger's voices in American Dad i doubt it will. unless they already have another season or two of American Dad already finished.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Whether or not you like the show, I think it's hilarious that FOX is attempting to push forward with the show they once cancelled....twice, without Seth's permission. FOX should be thankful Seth returned to them in the first place.

Perhap they could fill the slot during the strike with episodes from the complete first season of Firefly...oh wait, nm.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think they might just do that since the Network never caves in.