Home General Discussion

New LCD tv problem

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
I just got a Samsung LN-T 4071

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-LNT4071F-1...4599766-9642852

Got a great deal on it and am so far pretty blown away by how great it is save for one thing- when the screen is black or very dark, the corners (3 of them) and a spot in the middle are significantly less black, like there's a dim flashlight projecting from the back of the screen there.

It's not really noticeable during use, but I'd like to know if this is normal or not. Anyone know?

Replies

• eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    I'd say its normal, it's a backlight issue.

one thing you should know that is more important, is the latency for the tv, how much the delay will be when you play games.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    something like this at the bottom of the page.
    http://hdguru.com/hd-guru-exclusive-first-revew-of-samsungs-ln-t4081f-led-driven-lcd-102907/201/

thats the more expensive model, but wroks as a good reference.

I personally have been looking at that tv for myself, to get in a year or so. So knowing how you feel about it over time would be great.
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh? I'm clearly not educated on such things. What is lcd tv latency?
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    yeah I get this on my iMac actually... kinda luck of the draw with the LCD.

No such signs on my bravia LCD though.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Nitzmoff, Most, or all lcd's have to upscale input to the native resolution of the tv, and/or do some work on the image itself, which takes some time, so input isn't exactly instant when you're playing games.

That said, it's still playable, but something to have in mind.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    eld: only when the input does not match the native res. If you are playing on a 360 and it is outputting 1080p over HDMI or VGA, you will have no upscale lag. if you were to play your ps2, however, there would be lag from the upscale from 480i or 480p to 1080p. some TVs are better with this than others, my olevia LCD when taking in a 480p input from my wii only has a very slight delay, but it is enough to make smash unplayable (since i play competitively it has to be exact). but when im playing the legend of zelda or paper mario, for example, it doesn't bother me at all and it is perfectly fine
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    sonic, there's still lag even when outputting native res from 360 with vgacable, as I said, it depends on the tv.

most cheap hdtv's are made for watching movies, so fast upscalers or the likes are not a priority when manufacturing.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    yeah I get this on my iMac actually... kinda luck of the draw with the LCD.

No such signs on my bravia LCD though.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol get a pc!
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    Nitz - this shouldn't be too prominent on the 71's (it used to be a big problem on older models). One option is to return your TV for a new one, although if you got it off amazon, that could be a pain. Another option is to make sure you've properly calibrated it. Sometimes these things ship with "torch" mode on by default so that they're super noticeable in stores. You should be in "movie" mode, and have your backlight turned down, probably below 5. Make sure your whites are not getting blown out, and your blacks are not getting crushed. These things won't eliminate the flashlighting, but they should reduce it.

If you want a ton more info, go over to the AVS forums and find the owners thread for the Samsung 71's. Then you'll get way too much information.
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I didn't get it off amazon, I got it at Fry's so I have a month to stare at it and see if I want to keep it.

Apparently, the aforementioned light problems are called 'flashlights' according to the 178 page thread about my set on those AVS forums (thanks!).

I'm going to play around with it a bit some more and then I'll have a review of it of some kind should I keep it.

Thanks again guys.