Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

weird ugly Zombie (Update 4)

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Davision3D polycounter
zombie2.jpg

C&C welcome and some ideas to make him more ugly would be great.

The plan is to make a normal mapped head of it and a nice ugly texture. smile.gif

Replies

• Darksun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darksun polycounter lvl 18
    eeeeeww.. gooey!

I think doing something with an eye would help add to the grossness of it. Eyes can be a very disturbing thing. You can do a lot of that with a texture, but maybe having a slight growth on it.

Brains look rad!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    All your detailing looks pretty random, and everything is all the same blobby/round detail, it looks more like a coral reef than something that is scary or disgusting. I think you need to spend more time putting thought into why you're adding detail, and try to get some more distinct and sharp details in there. You need good low level shapes, mid level shapes and high level shapes, none of those are really coming through with this to me. Everything seems to be on the same sort of level with no distinction as to where muscles lie, areas that are specificly torn up or rotting, just a mass of stuff.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    looks cool man, but I agree with eq all your stuff tends to have a very soft melty feel. There are areas of this one that I like- the stretched skin around the nose/mouth area is cool but mixing up the shapes would definately help, get some flatter edges to contrast all the roundness. I think it was per that suggested starting from something made of flat planes and then pick which bits you want smooth later
    PS. im only critting because you kicked my ass in TF2. jk tongue.gif
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    def ugly though...
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    Finally more work on him, i hope it looks better know.
    zombie3.jpg
    Added a lot of details and also tried to get more clear mid shapes.
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano polycounter lvl 16
    Is dat sum archiboldo ?
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    It almost looks like you almost clone stamped the whole mesh with the same brush...still try and put in more muscle than the weird surfaces it still has.

It reminds me more of a mutated broccoli with warts than a real zombie.

It'd also heolp if you enhance details on the eyes instead leaving a nice soft rounded surface compared to the rest of its head.
  • tremulant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tremulant polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]

It reminds me more of a mutated broccoli with warts than a real zombie.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol are you serious? real zombie? I think it looks pretty cool, It does lack some elements in the Believability department, but It looks different than most zombie depictions we see..which is good.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for the vague usage of "real"...I was merely describing what it reminds of me of lol...
  • Liam Brocklehurst
    As much as it adds to the whole head's surface, I don't really like the look of the nose, I think it'd look better with /less/ texture, to be honest.
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    I made mainly more details and started the texture:
    zombie4.jpg

@ BeatKitano
    Dat is sum broccoli! wink.gif

@ pliang
    Never seen a mutated broccoli but i guess it have to look very tasty. laugh.gif Eyes a smooth, because of it properties it wouldnt make much sense changing the surface.

@ tremulant
    thx!

@ Liam Brocklehurst
    There is not much left of a nose so i think this texture is needed.

P.S. It was never meant to look real, just a over the top ugly living dead head! smile.gif
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Looks real nice, you might what to add some white, creamy stuff so it looks like it has infections growing in it.

Alex
  • Liam Brocklehurst
    Looks loads better now you can see the difference between the features..
    What sort of look were you trying to go for? It's more sort of "burnt" at the moment, but if that is the case, then it needs more darkened spots.
  • avengersplot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I never liked zombies, gives me nightmares! And this is not an exception! that's a compliment! laugh.gif
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Now add some mold on it...since he is pretty much a corpse.
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    I think i can call the texture finished
    zombiehighfin.jpg

@ Sage
    thx

@ Liam Brocklehurst
    Not burnt, more decayed and rotten but still somehow alive. wink.gif Is it the peeled off skin or just the dark brown that makes it look burnt?

@ avengersplot
    Thats a nice compliment!

@ pliang
    Mold added.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Looks great, the other thing you might want to do is make the green look less spoiled, more like healthy flesh in some places and perhaps add some trails of dried puddles or trails of blood here and there, something close to black but more like a dark grayish red. I think I would crap my pants if I saw this in an alley. wink.gif

Alex
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    is this z brush? what is your method for texturing? its very cool-
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    cool smile.gif the eyes look very much drawn on tho, be nice to do something more convincing with the eyeballs/iris
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think what he means is that the eyes should have eye muscles and tendons connected to it instead of of just bloodshot around it...I think its pretty much finished though.

As for me...the back of the head (the brain) would fit in more nicely with some greyish tint and traces of fat on the surfaces since it is exposed.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I want some crazy specular and SSS and translucensy and highlights on the eyes.

The nose and the mouth are freakin gross.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    hmm well I really mean the iris and pupil both look irregular and sketchy, literally drawn on. I think some nice convincing eyes would make a world of difference
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    It wasnt easy but i finally finished the low poly. Thx to Brice and Crazy Butcher for the awesome Shader.
    zombie5.jpg

Diffuse, Spec, Normal and SSS Texture. 1967 polys, at least under 2000 wink.gif

What i learned from this:
    At first i tried to render the normal and AO with z-brush and max but i had a lot of problems so i tried Xnormal and i was able to render the highest Sdiv (3.9 Mil points) with a good quality and in a few minutes, great programm i will never use the zmapper again, it seems it works in a different way because everything looks shifted in comparison with my xnormal or max render.
    Normally, makeing uvws in max and replaceing the lowest Sdiv with the uvwed obj destroys the higher Sdivs, but i found a workaround:
    export lowest Sdiv - import in max - make uvw - export - import obj - export selection - import in lowest sdiv
    (I did this with max7)

thx for the C&C
    @ Sage
    good to know that its scary enough smile.gif

@ konstruct
    I used the new colorize feature, you can paint directly on the polys but you need a high res mesh for details and you cant use the tools that are in the projection master
    @ pliang
    Eye muscles are more at back of the eye but i think a found good way to make them more real...

@ rooster
    I made this transparent bump surface that is over the eyes iris, i think i adds a lot along with the specular.

@ aesir
    ...SSS is also in there. smile.gif
  • super_villain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    super_villain polycounter lvl 11
    Nice looking work. I would play a little with the eyes, maybe go away from normal and more towards sickly, like the eyes of the "worlds ugliest" (now deceased) dog, or a blind animals eyes. That's my 2cents.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah...now that I took another look at it...the eyes look healthier compared to the rest of the head.

Blind him or make it more albino along with some shadows on the eye will make it blend in instead of popping out.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    great result, really discusting. I was just wondering if you could explain the process in more detail of how you got the polypainted texture and normals onto the low poly mesh?

I have used polypaint and managed to get it to output to a texture map but then what did you do? just export the lowest level mesh and highest level mesh and go into xnormal?
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    thx
    You were right, i think this look much better:
    zombie6.jpg

@ Ged
    Yes, in xnormal you have to select the base texture to bake at the right of your imported high mesh and then you have to select bake base texture to low poly in the normal map tab. You can use the lowest Sdiv as the low poly, i made a optimzed low poly from the lowest Sdiv in Silo.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    now rig him and make him say 'braaainsh' laugh.gif
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow...the eyes that you now have was what I was looking for.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    reminds me a bit about the toxic avenger :P
  • jogshy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jogshy polycounter lvl 17
    nice ( well... horrible really ) zombie!
  • AutoExit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AutoExit polycounter lvl 9
    This is the most beautiful ugly zombie i have ever seen!
  • Shiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    does this win a necro award?