Home General Discussion

king of sandwich

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
danr interpolator
Hot bacon and refrigerated iceberg lettuce on toast. Not toasted, that would be mental, just in toast. Hot, cold and crunchy, its ace

Let's have 'em then

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Mozzarella and parma ham with pesto and rocket (arugula to you North Americans) in one of those little crusty rolls you bake at home. Warm, fresh and delicious.

Also, smoked salmon with cucumber and black pepper in wholemeal bread is bloody good.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    bacon lettuce tomato . one of the slices of bread( one side only) smeared with ketchup and fried in the bacon residue for 1 minute - lavverly
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    lox, cream cheese, onion, one half bagel un-toasted. Period.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Stottie. 4 slices of bacon, 3 butterfly-cut sausages, 2 fried eggs.

Yeah, I'll be dead for 40.
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    2 slices of toast, w/ mayo, lettuce, tomato, ham, and honey
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17

Toasted bagel, creamcheese, Bacon, fried salami, and a light smattering of rasberry preserves.

Going to have to try the fried ketchup bacon bread lol.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    Grilled peanut-butter, jelly and banana.
  • Slash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slash polycounter lvl 19
    Rye bread, pickled herring, red onions, sour cream and a dash of pepper.
  • The3DGuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The3DGuy polycounter lvl 18
    two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, all on a seasame seed bun.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    I like roasted eggplant, cream cheese and pesto inside a crusty bun, or two slices of pizza smooshed into each other
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely gonna give that one a go
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    Keiser roll, with breaded chicken cutlet, and american or cheddar cheese, toasted, plus a sauce of my own invention: a mix of hot sauce (a nice flavorful one) and ranch dressing, mix well. Sauce proportions done depending which you like more.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    Tuna, plus mayonaise, plus olives cutted in really small parts , plus some mozarella cut in small pieces plus the same for ham, you put it in sandwich machine , and its awesome.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    toasted bacon and banana mmmmmm

maybe its only a south african thing?
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    Back in middle school, I would get a free cheese sandwich that had bread and cheese. Then I would get food from everyone. On the sandwich there was: bread, cheese, yogurt, jello, pudding, ravioli, spaghetti, catsup, mayonaisse, nilla wafers, bananas, lasagna, french fries, etc...
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    roasted chicken breast, sauteed fennel & garlic, mayo, dijon, lettuce and tomato on a toasted wheat kaiser.

chicken spice:
    - cayenne pepper
    - paprika
    - tumeric
    - salt/pepper
    - dried oregano, basil & thyme
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    [ QUOTE ]
    lox, cream cheese, onion, one half bagel un-toasted. Period.

[/ QUOTE ]
    You forgot the capers!

I prefer a bacon and scallion cream cheese over the plain stuff, as well.

if there are delicious fresh tomatoes available (rarely) a slice of tomato adds nice variety as well.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Man... I *LOVE* me some sandwiches!

Here's a few of my favourites...

Honey ham, bacon, dijon, 6-year old cheddar (smells like feet), olive bread toasted. Warm an oven to 350 then heat for 1 minute.

Grilled cheese + bacon done right: Cook the bacon in a frying pan BEFORE making the sandwiches. Once the bacon is finished put it on a plate, cover it, and set it aside. DO NOT WASH THE PAN you cooked the bacon with. Use it, with the bacon still on the pan, to grill the cheese sandwiches in. This'll soak all the (horribly bad for you) fat right in to the bread... Man, it's like sex in your mouth.

Oh, and extra creamy peanut butter + grape jelly is my favourite of all time.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Hot samich:
    Spiced ham, pepper turkey, american cheese on italian hero bread, salt + black-pepper, cashews on the side with onion & garlic chips with pepsi.

Yea didn't quit the soda frown.gif.

The Classic:
    Philly cheese steak sandwich mmm,mmm,mmm...
  • TelekineticFrog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TelekineticFrog polycounter lvl 18
    1 Honey Oat Bagel Cut Sliced, some smoked salmon slices, creme cheese, red onion and tomato. YUM!
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    all this has made me want a sandwich now.

mine are easy:

corned beef / branston pickle / pickled onions / white bread.

cheese / branston pickle / white bread.

butterfly cut sausages / ketchup / thin white bread.

apart from the ketchup, all of these things are kinda hard to find here in Japan.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Oh yeah Hawken, a good cheese and pickle sandwich is tough to beat.

I attempt to put english mustard on pretty much anything, since it's better than any other sort of mustard (especially the "nondescript yellow sauce" that Americans have come to know as mustard, a poor imitation).
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    Mop - Hahaha, I enjoyed watching an american tourist in the pub the other day positively swamp his ham sandwich in english mustard, clearly never having tasted it before and believing it to be like that yellow sauce stuff. He actually slumped, gripping the back of his neck where the mustard actually (no really) sears the nerves at the top of your spine. H-ho, he's never gonna do that again
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    haha ... spread thinly!
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    Apart from some of the bacon-rich delicacies mentioned above - Salad cream and salt and vinegar crisps in white bread.
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    burger, cheddar, fried egg, spicy mustard, pickles, chopped onions, buttered and grilled bun.
  • Vitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    Tuna, nothings beats the tuna with some mayonese, tomato, lettuce, egg...
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    coriander chutney, mayo, tomato slices, salted slices cucumber, on some sort of white and soft bread with fresh ground pepper.

My favorite sandwich.
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    Grilled Sandwich:

1/4 cup ground beef or roast chicken
    2 slices cheese (i use 2-year old cheddar or extra sharp tiliamook chedder)

1/4 cup chopped onions
    1 tsp garlic (Paste or chopped. I prefer the paste)
    2-3 slices of tomatoes
    2-3 stems of coriander/cilantro
    1/2 unseeded jalape
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sounds like a lot of work for something that is going to be gone in 60 seconds
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this thread is useless without pics.
    fail
  • Slash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slash polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely gonna give that one a go

[/ QUOTE ]

You won't regret it. Be warned tho, pickled herring is an aquired taste, so if you're unfamiliar with it start with small bits.

Whats with all the bacon nastyness in this thread? :P

Another favorite of mine is toasted white mediterranean bread with fresh GOOD tomatoes (not the kind you find in your local super market..) fresh basil leaves and extra virgin olive oil.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    bacon + pickel sandwiches = win.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There's this great little place around the corner from where I brew beer, Its called Olives Cafe and Wine Bar. It's the only place within walking distance I can get some good imported beers. Maybe its because I'm always a little hammered when I eat there but this place has the best sandwiches I've ever had. I've tried to make them at home and only come close.

Here are my favorites:
    - Olive's Club: Turkey, Ham & Bacon with Cheddar Cheese on Ciabatta, Lettuce Tomato, some kind of delicious Euro-Trash Mustard and a squirt of Mayo
    - Neo-Classic Rueben: Corned Beef, Swiss Cheese, Russian Dressing, Cole Slaw. Grilled on Rye Bread in a sandwich press.
    - Albuquerque Turkey: Turkey, Pepper Jack Cheese & Green Chiles, Avocado paste, Mayo (with something added) on Grilled Sourdough.

I've wanted to try one of those Elvis's PB&J fried sandwiches but I'm not sure my body would ever bounce back, besides I hear they are addictive.
    - Bread, banana mashed with a fork, peanut butter, coated in mayo and then fried in bacon fat (as in submerged in boiling pig parts). Might as well inject crisco into my heart and see if it stops.
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    To me, good food is worth the prep. I can make this sandwich in 10 mins or less.

-R
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    one of those Elvis's PB&J

[/ QUOTE ]

I've tried it before, but not quite as heart-stopping a method as you described. When I tried it, I made it a bit like grilled cheese. Butter on the outsides, PB&J on the bottom, banana paste on the top, then grilled.

I was expecting horrible mouth taste spasms, but it was actually quite good.

And Pak is dead on - good food is more than worth the wait.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    There's this great little place around the corner from where I brew beer

[/ QUOTE ]
    I'm intrigued
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    Ten minutes for a sandwich is mental. All sandwiches should be possible to make in no more than 2 minutes, whilst blind drunk, with a broken arm in a cast, and preferably with no working surface to hand. Or else there's just no point. Hawken wins with the crisps/salad cream combo, its the classic solution to the problem
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Salmon plus soy souce ftw
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    The previously mentioned cheese + pickle (dill or bread 'n butter - I prefer dill) needs to be on page 2 also.

Also worth mentioning:
    Lightly toasted jalape
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not a sandwich, so I break the thread....

...but this stop is off the charts. It's like crack.

Relish.jpg

spread on buttered toast.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    There's this great little place around the corner from where I brew beer

[/ QUOTE ]
    I'm intrigued

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a bar/brewery where They let you brew small batches of beer its called Gallaghers. Denis the owner/brewmaster is an ex-Microsoft guy that got in on the ground floor and made a killing with the stock options they where giving out like candy back in the day. He took a few years off work before opening the place and just bummed around and learned all about brewing. The whole place is laid back and an awesome place to just hang out. All kinds of people come and go and you meet a lot of different types of people you would never normally meet, but we all share a love of beer...

It's pretty awesome tweaking the recipes and making some really good beer. I've had some mishaps that turned out great and I've had some batches I thought would be perfect turn out to be just ok. It turns out to be a little pricier than if you just go out and buy a few cases of really good beer but then again I always walk out with a few bottles of other peoples beer. They're always happy to trade or they just give it away.

I have Porkfry and the guys at Penny Arcade to thank for introducing me to the place. Speaking of which its time to brew some winter ale...
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    whats it taste like rick?
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Like nirvana, but perhaps an aquired taste, like olives or gin. You grow to crave it.

It's basically anchovy paste.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    h haha he said 'gentlemans relish' the sort of stuff produced by victorian dad in Viz comic:)
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hah

the two ronnies made a book called "gentlemans relish", filled with pictures from yesteryear wink.gif
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    bacon + pickel sandwiches = win.

[/ QUOTE ]

Too much 3D on my brain...saw this as "bacon and pixel sandwiches"... confused.gif
  • shape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shape polycounter lvl 17
    Left-over curry in one of these:

180px-Toastie-cut-and-seal.jpg

Delicious and easy, just cut the bigger chunks of curry into smaller ones if required and slap plenty of butter on to get the outside crispy. Just watch out for the molten lava