Home Collaboration & Unpaid Work

Contract work for Gore Special Edition

4D Rulers is recruiting help for Gore Special Edition, a re-release of Gore Ultimate Soldier, originally released in 2002. We’re redoing most of the art in the game to higher resolution textures and higher detail models, and increasing the detail in the levels.

Gore is a fast paced online first person shooter with unique character classes, several excellent team modes and a very fast stable engine. After 5 years it still has a hard core audience of players who love the game and still play every night.

This is an opportunity to work with a seasoned developer, (est 1996) learn the industry ropes, plus get your work seen by millions of people once we release it for free. Gore test, our first free demo had over one million downloads the first week of the release. Your work will be seen and appreciated by a lot of people, and you’ll get your name in the credits of the new Special Edition version. Also, you won’t have to wait until the product is gold to see your work manifested. Gore Special edition is already released in beta form, and our auto update and new content delivery system keeps players updated with the latest versions of the work in progress beta version. So once your work is approved we’ll integrate it and you can see it in an update very soon.

For the most part, the work will be traded for credits in the game, and advertisement opportunities as mentioned below. However, if you are a talented weapons/character artist there are some paying contract jobs. Since the game is slated for free we cannot afford industry standards, but we have some budget for a few very important tasks like weapons. So you could make a few extra bucks in your spare time in between normal contracts. We’ll probably pay about 50 USD for a weapon model and skin, maybe 100 if you are exceptional. There are over 30 weapons that need done, so there is a small bit of money to be made. Not much but since the game is primarily free and more of a hobby our budget is tight. We do get signed for games though, and pay for those are typically better so get your foot in the door, and there could be future opportunities as well.

For the right person or company who wants to really pimp their resume, and can deliver a lot of content, I’d put an in game ad for your company or web site so people can find you easily and to promote your business. For example, I sell billboard spots in the game to advertisers for 2,000.00 USD. I’d trade that spot for an ad for your art work services, with a url and whatever you want on the sign (must be approved by us). So let’s say I’d normally pay 500 dollars for a model and skin, if you knocked out 2000 dollars worth for us, I’d give you a huge in game billboard ad, that millions of people would see, which would help you attract new business. Much more than just a scrolling name in the credits, and a life time advertisement pimping your web site/studio/services.

Send portfolio/resume and questions to joel@4drulers.com

The official Gore Special Edition website is here: http://4drulers.com/gore/

Screenshot of Gore SE showing a billboard ad: http://4drulers.com/gore/images/screenshots/GoreAV_Brooklyn03.jpg

Links to some Gore reviews: http://forum.4drulers.com/showthread.php?t=11784

The 4D Rulers website is here: http://www.4drulers.com/index.php

Replies

• Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    you know.. most times when you do work for a game you get your name in the credits.. AND a paycheck.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    "or the right person or company who wants to really pimp their resume, and can deliver a lot of content, I’d put an in game ad for your company or web site so people can find you easily and to promote your business. For example, I sell billboard spots in the game to advertisers for 2,000.00 USD. I’d trade that spot for an ad for your art work services, with a url and whatever you want on the sign (must be approved by us). So let’s say I’d normally pay 500 dollars for a model and skin, if you knocked out 2000 dollars worth for us, I’d give you a huge in game billboard ad, that millions of people would see, which would help you attract new business. Much more than just a scrolling name in the credits, and a life time advertisement pimping your web site/studio/services."

Sure give you art for free. You are a douche and whoever gets to work for free to you is also a douche, with the advantage of beeing desperate/stupid.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Hmmm...it sounds appealing but usually you get paid for it anyways, I did something similar once and I got VERY weary of it afterwards.

I'm not sure if this should really even be in the paid job postings section.
  • Tom Burns
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it's pretty obvious that this posting has some concerns about it.

While I know for a fact that the company IS real, this position is teetering on the edge of a "Paid Job".

Be careful, applicants.

Tom Burns
    www.tomburnsportfolio.com
    3D Environments
  • Joel Huenink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This place has gone from filled with aspiring artists who had a passion to work on games to a bunch of spoiled ego filled trolls who have probably never made their first dime in the industry yet. Pretty disgusting. The fact is, after you ship a game your chances of getting paid work increase. The fact is, I'm offering a LITTLE money. Sorry it's not bloated AAA funding, the game is going to be free, so the budget is limited.

Keep living in dream land that you can make 50 bucks an hour sitting at home. Those gigs belong to the people who have worked hard for them and have some titles under their belt. This is an opportunity for someone who wants to further their resume and make their name known better. What better way to do that than have a million players see your billboard in a game and to get actual experience working on a project?

I started out in this industry in mid 90's working for free on doom mods. A gig like this would have been a dream come true for me. Work with real developers and get my work published? Are you kidding me? I'm in with zero pay. How much do I pay you I'd have asked. Maybe times have changed though, or I should have posted this in the free section?

Seems like every time I make a post some trolls come in and insult me though. The last time I checked, finding any paid work is always difficult. Every contractor I know always has down time. This is a way to build your resume with some solid experience and make a few bucks. I never thought I'd see the day where offering pay or trade for doing something you love would get me insulted.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Johny and Rhino are both successful professional artists, and i'm pretty sure Plaing and Tom are too, although I admit I don't know either of them, they don't post here often.

You're offering practically nothing for a decent amount of work on a forum full of serious, professionally minded artists. Most of them are going to find the idea of getting paid 50 dollars for a full texture pretty offensive, and that's natural. Your idea that people would considering paying companies, or working for free, just to desperately get their name out, is a bit offensive. To some of us art (specifically game art, considering it's polycount's focus) is a skill we've been developing for years so we can actually make a good living for ourselves, and most of the artists here are successful professionals, or soon to be, and certainly not desperate enough to work for little or no money. The idea that you're doing the artists a favor is I think what's getting to people, you're talking as if you're giving them a wonderful chance to work hard for horrible pay so you can make your game. That just comes across as trying to take advantage of people.

Anyway, how big of textures/how complex of models are we talking? I do happen to have a lot of free time, and for a really lowpoly model with a 256 or something 50-100$ isn't actually that awful of pay. Mind providing a few more details, either here or in a PM?
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    While you might be releasing your game for free and not making much of a profit on it, there are other companies that sell their games and makes lots of money, and they'll hire artists and pay them next to nothing. Overall, it hurts our industry because eventually people begin to expect that you can hire us for pennies.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The problem here is that you're posting in the paid jobs forum. This is for serious employers looking for full-time onsite positions. Something you are not offering, this barely even would be appropriate in the freelance board. Like your game art school(maybe we'll pay you, maybe you pay us) bit a while back i dont really think theres a specific place for this type of post here. I think you should at the very least take the time to read forum discriptions before you come in here and start insulting everyone. You're not helping your case at all having your little ego breakdown here, while of course claiming that everyone else has ego problems. Seriously man, it dosent matter how long you've been working in the industry, if you've founded companies etc people are not going to take you seriously if you act like a jackass here.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    joel, it might help to check out the job census in general discussions to see how many here are working in the industry. polycount seems not quite like a board full of desperate newbies, trying to get "in". imo, working in games has changed from a lifestyle to a regular profession for the most part. no need to sell yourself for cheap. actually, it would be a stupid move on our behalf, as aesir pointed out.
    heck, my first industry traineeship was decently paid...
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    Joel, you've been milking gore with your lame money making scams for years. Polycount is mostly filled with rather intelligent serious artists, and they can see through your shallow attempts at keeping yourself from having to do any real work by constantly releasing the same outdated game funded by your goofy money making scams.