Home General Discussion

Computer probs,no idea whats wrong.

Bronco
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Bronco polycounter lvl 18
Hey guys,

One for you techies.

Basically one of our computers is crashing to desktop alot,with the standard "this prgram has created an error and will need to close" message,and it seems to be worse on newer games.

My Sister plays Zoo Tycoon and that occasionally crashed,hardly a computer intensive afair though. But both Silent Hunter 4 and ET:QW crash within minutes,ET:QW sometimes crashes on the loading screen.It seems Ok on some levels I can get 15/20mins out of it but you can be almost certain it will crash not much beyond that.

Its also blue screening totally randomly.

Our course of action so far has been as follows:-

* 2 Reformats.

* Replaced the soundcard,as on Silent Hunter my dad thought the sound was lagging and was crashing when it hit a certain sound,thats not solved it.

* done several memtests and switched memory from other computers (that have not had similar problems.)

* updated the Bios and reinstalled,no difference.

*done temp tests and checked fans. everything seems to be functioning normally and within temp limits.

Now we are stumped and are considering buying a new motherboard.

System specs as follows.

Athlon 4000 CPU
Asus A8NSLI Bios Rev 1014
2x 6600 GT Video cards
1GB Crucial 3200 DDR 400
535w Enermax P.S.U
Seperate Creative Soundcard.

Thanks in advance for any input.

John

Replies

• rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    when a computer makes random wired stuff its mostly bc:

to hot
    hardware defect

so all i can say from reading your post.. test every hardware-part by change it with a working one or just removing it if possible
    and check the temperature of the system
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    edit just read you ran memtest.. shouldnt post so early on saturday.

Looks like your running your vid cards in sli. Try them single. Crashing when loading the games leads me to believe its something video related.

What kinda of drives do you have ? Most manufacturers have diagnostic tools on there websites. Seagates seatools is pretty good at finding problems.

• Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    check the hard disk with a hard disk scanner for errors. try new video drivers.

Try running Prime95 to see how long it will run before crashing. It's a good stress test.

Does it crash all the time even when not playing games? Maybe directx issues. I doubt it though.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    Since it is crashing when playing games, I would guess either your video card is overheating or boned. Try swapping those out or running just one at a time.
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    okies,we have tried both cards as singles and the error keeps occuring. whats the chnaces both cards are boned at the same time?

Also ran the stress test.unless I did soemthing wrong during set-up,it did not make nice reading. something like.

"Test1...answer is xxxxxxx answer should be xxxxxx cannot continue fatal hardware error"

we're now wondering if its a virus that has got deep deep in the system and done its worst....would make sense since the error reports seems to be only coming from .exe files and we've tested both Cards,memory and replaced onbougrd sound with a dedicated card.

damn computers....*sign*.

John