im 14 years old and i have done photoshop since
i was nine years old. anyhow, heres a new skin
im working on to get the feel of metal.

untitled1sc1.png

Head:

armornr5.png

body:

armor2ik4.png

Also, dont bother with the arms and legs yet, i havent gotten a change to start skinning them

Replies

• Brenden Frank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some decent texture work there. Why are you working with such outdated materials? Hell I'd work with Warcraft 3 before working with something like that.
  • MAUL0r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MAUL0r polycounter lvl 18
    Pretty fine work for someone your age. I agree with brenden, you should be working with a canvas that better matches your skills, instead of limiting them. Even q3 would be better, and it's fairly easy to make skins for.
  • Sythest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well thanks for the comments! i greatly appriciate them, the only problem is, i dont really have many other games, im waiting for ut2007 to come out so i can move to that i guess, but until then im stuck with what i have :/

plus i dont really know much modelers hat would work with me and give me challanges to skin
  • Brenden Frank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I suggest getting a 3d app such as 3dstudio max or maya. It helps greatly with texturing when you want to preview your skins. That way you have a whole source of meshes you can download off the net and re-skin to your liking. Additionally, if you read up on some tutorials, it gives you the freedom to import meshes from other games that you get in the future.
  • MAUL0r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MAUL0r polycounter lvl 18
    Also BoBo has made a few nice model SDKs, as well as several other people on these boards, once you have a 3d program to view the models in, you could easily take a stab at one of their models.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Additionally, consider learning to model. Not much work in the industry for pure texture artists, but you're promising enough at that side of things that you might be able to make a career of this if you keep improving and round out your skillset in the next few years. smile.gif
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    14 years old? That's excellent texture work for someone your age! I'm much older, and I still can't texture that well. I agree with some of the other posters. It wouldn't take much to learn some rudimentary 3D skills. If you prefer texture painting, you can still specialize in it. I certainly think you have the necessary talent in that area. But it would still be nice to have some of your own models to stretch those textures across.

Of course, being 14, you might not be able to afford a major 3D package. If you want a more mid-range solution, Silo 2.0 just came out, and its only about $160. That has plenty of low-poly and high poly tools, and will probably have a more forgiving learning curve. If you don't want to spend any money, Wings 3D is a free modeler that focuses on extrusion modeling. Blender 3D is also a free modeler, but it is a full-on solution designed to do everything. The learning curve on it is much steeper. Wings 3D is pretty good for low-poly model work, and has some very nice texture mapping features.

Also, if you want some better models to practice texturing for, download some classic Quake II models. It's usually possible to find importers for that format, and some of the custom Quake II models were created with incredibly efficient UV maps. I remember the old Tekkaman blade model had an insane UV map, but the proper paint job could make that model look incredible. These older models would be a great chance to practice your texturing with existing models. Also, keep an eye out on these boards. Its common for some artists to post their models as SDKs for other artists to practice texturing on.
  • Sythest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whoa! thank you guys so much for all the positive feedback! im really pleased with all the positive suggjestions, and yes hopefully i will learn modeling aswell when im older!
  • coldwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coldwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Yes, whatever they said, mostly. I heartily second the SDK idea in particular. However, later on when you start to model, don't even think about touching Maya or Max--they are really horrible apps that steal time you could be spending learning how to model. Instead, they're so badly designed that you have to learn where all the stupid buttons are, how to control them, and on top of all that you have to have a really fast machine if you don't want to waste time waiting for them to load.

I suggest you start with Silo or if you have the money, modo. Those apps are wonderfully designed, well enough that you don't have to worry about unnecessary technical crap and instead just learn how to model.

You have a lot of potential dude, can't wait to see what you do!
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

I suggest you start with Silo or if you have the money, modo. Those apps are wonderfully designed, well enough that you don't have to worry about unnecessary technical crap and instead just learn how to model.

[/ QUOTE ]

And then get a job working where? Not many studios use dedicated modeling apps like Silo or Modo to get anything done. Maya, Max, and Xsi aren't that hard to learn at all, if you've got a day and a little patience. If one wants to work in the industry, it seems a couple of hours learning popular software is worth it in the long run.

Plus, both Silo and Modo seem to kinda really suck when it comes to UVing for game art, which could make things hard for primarily a texture artist.
  • Asthane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asthane polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Plus, both Silo and Modo seem to kinda really suck when it comes to UVing for game art, which could make things hard for primarily a texture artist.

[/ QUOTE ]

You tell em! Live LSCM? Who needs that when you have the godly Max UVunwrap modifier... yeah...
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

You tell em! Live LSCM? Who needs that when you have the godly Max UVunwrap modifier

[/ QUOTE ]

I've spent hours with Silo's UV mapping. It'd be great if I wanted to have a super automatic pelt map everywhere(!!!!) map, but, when working with a small imagine it's kinda nightmarish to actually paint on those UVs, so, I tend to stick with something like Max if I want to work on anything smaller than a 1024.
  • Brice Vandemoortele
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brice Vandemoortele polycounter lvl 19
    I guess what package you use to learn doesn't really matter, as long as you keep in mind general mechanics of realtime CG. People are sometimes blinded with the only app they are using, they forget that behind it's just basically the same big mess of vertex positions and normals.
    If you pay attention to understand what you're doing, rather than just clicking buttons, then going from one package to another won't be a problem.
    If you're a talented artist, people won't probably bother you about what software to use, there will be learning time anyway - all the time - be it to get used to a specific workflow, shader system, software, whatever.
    I agree with ColdWolf, SDK is definitely the way to get used to proper texturing. If you try to learn everything at a time you'll end up discouraged, since everything is so closely related. Start with and existing model, with good uvs and GO smile.gif
    SupRore I'd like to hear your point about the need of texture artist, am I gonna lose my job?
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

SupRore I'd like to hear your point about the need of texture artist, am I gonna lose my job?

[/ QUOTE ]
    What I said about learning modeling? I see a lot more job postings wanting artists who can both model/texture than I do texture artists only. I don't imagine anyone has to learn both, but it would certainly make it easier to find work, wouldn't it?
  • coldwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coldwolf polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I guess what package you use to learn doesn't really matter, as long as you keep in mind general mechanics of realtime CG. People are sometimes blinded with the only app they are using, they forget that behind it's just basically the same big mess of vertex positions and normals.

[/ QUOTE ]
    EXACTLY. Thank you.

SupRore, it doesn't matter what the studio uses, it's what the artist prefers BUT--hold the flames--it varies from place to place, obviously. Most small studios will let you use whatever you want, as long as you get the job done. Bigger places have specific workflows wrapped around a specific package (eg Valve and XSI), but even then you don't have to model everything in XSI to make stuff for HL2 (I use modo and import with max, never touch xsi).

My point was that when someone is first starting out, they need to grasp the fundamental concepts behind CG creation--not memorize the mazes of menus of some bloated, over-priced app. So the best way to do that is by using a simple app (hence my suggestions of Silo or modo). Just sayin', so don't get yer panties in a bunch mmk?
  • Sythest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, sorry it has been so long since i have posted. but i Finished skinning it about a month ago and this is what i got :
    dvknightbq1.png
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    This is very nice work for your age, like others have said take a stab at some downloadable SDK's that other artist's have posted for those in need of practice or more portfolio work.

We are basically trying to help you get better because we see you have potential and can go far as long as you apply yourself correctly.

I wish I was 14 right now in 10 years you can learn a lot if you make this a future career choice, trust me you should be thinking about what you want to be now it's hard out there trying to get something you'll enjoy take my words seriously, unless your better established in other areas if you are ignore my post wink.gif.

Good work!
  • foreverendering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    foreverendering polycounter lvl 12
    14?

Keep it up man, you got talent
  • Sythest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you both so much smile.gif yeah 14 i know its young lol
  • TorQue[MoD]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TorQue[MoD] polycounter lvl 19
    That's Ragnor from Rune isn't it? You've got some incredible texturing skills. If you'd like, you could always help out with some of my game projects. I've got quite a few higher poly models you could work with.
  • Sythest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lol U play rune? Its actually the dark viking laugh.gif
    alright id be glad to help you out!