Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Characters for Animated Short

Eric Wiley
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Eric Wiley polycounter lvl 11
Hey everyone, this is my first post... I am a student at Digipen Institute of Technology. I am currently working on a 30 second short in 3ds max. It involves a time machine being jacked by a baby dinosaur and its inventor gets left in the past while the dinosaur goes to the future. The Inventor is from 1910, at the turn of the century. These are for animation but I modelled them with game models in mind. Both of these models are around 6,000 poly's so far. Almost entirely quads with a few select tri's here and there. I don't plan to add any meshsmooth or anything either. Please tell me how I can better my conceptual designs and wireframe for animation. I want them to have pretty complex facial rigs, especially the dinosaurs eyelids. The Dinosaur is the main Character and the Inventor is the secondary. Thanks.... -Eric Wiley

DINOMODELSHEET.jpg

Inventor01.jpg

wireframes.jpg

together.jpg

Any crits or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks...

Replies

• Flynny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flynny polycounter lvl 9
    Cant say much for criticism but on the whole they definately look like fun characters to animate wink.gif
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    really awesome, i like the proportion and the stylization of anatomy . Now this is true stylization ! shows anatomy knowledge and makes it look cartoony without making it look bad , props for that man !

only critic might be around the mouth of the man, the edgeloops dont seem very animation friendly , i would be carefull with that.

really nice man.
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    very fun characters
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Really awesome, tons of style and character. I agree with johny, though, more traditional edgelooping around the mouth would make it a lot easier to animate.

Excellent and impressive first post, by the way.
  • Eric Wiley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eric Wiley polycounter lvl 11
    Flynny-Thanks

Johnny-Cool, thanks man. I will work on the edge loops around the mouth. I should have more edge loops coming out of the corners of the mouth. Correct? Instead of just having edge loops parallel to the mouth going all the way down his face.

Bobo_the_seal-Thanks

SupRore-Thanks, I will fix that up. I also am going to break the symmetry and add a holster to the Inventor.

Thanks alot guys, and may I say, already you have been soo much more helpful than CGtalk where I usually post. I am going to post here from now on. I often have to wait days to get any response in the game art WIP forum, so this is great!

I will update hopefully tomorrow, with the time machine. It is going to have a very turn of the century feel to it. It is a small steam powered pod. I have been looking at steam engines and steam tractors for my reference.