Home General Discussion

I Am Legend

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
ver2.jpg

Has anyone else seen the stuff for this movie? My god I can't wait.

They just released another trailer today. Heres the links to the high def versions.

Comes out this December.

http://iamlegend.warnerbros.com/myspace/hidef/index.html

Replies

• Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    assuming the story follows the book, should be really badass.

i really like the basic concept of the story.
  • Tiax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    is it movie of "i legend" ? or "i am legend" is a different book? poster reminds that but dunno its something different prob ... that book was awesome

omg just watched the trailer and yea that's it :S and i hate it , it looks totally different than book and Will Smith?? argh no , i'll prob read it again soon , i just dont have any hope for movie..
  • Jay Evans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jay Evans polycounter lvl 18
    Is it just me or does some of the CG look a bit unfinished? I was just watching the HD version and at 2:23 you can see wires yanking a wierdly composited Will Smith around. Looks like an amazing story though. I'm a sucker for the last person\post apoc type scenes.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    I liked Omega man...the Charlsten Heston take on I am legend

omega_l.jpg
    Always meant to read the book...just never got around to it
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah, I saw what you meant. Cougar didn't blend in with it's enviro too well either.

Regardless, I'll watch anything post apoc. I think I'll pick up to book before it comes out... Sounds like a goodie.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Hrm, just watched the new trailer. Doesn't look like they're sticking to the main themes of the book. ah well. Looks entertaining, still.

Gee, you think the dog dies in the end for some injected drama?
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Anything WITHOUT Will Smith is prolly better...
  • nacire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nacire polycounter lvl 17
    Bah, I kinda like Will Smith, though I'm probably the minority. He usually stars in roles that I can enjoy as well as get my wife to watch. So the more action, sci-fi, whatever the hell films he does, the more I can count on seeing as my wife enjoys watching his... acting.

Do writers usually give him comic relief lines that are way too cheesy? Of course they do, but if you question his acting abilities I'd say check out "Pursuit of Happiness".

Back on topic, I watched the trailer this morning and I gotta say, I think it looks great! I've never read the book so I'm coming to it with a blank slate. Oh, if the dog dies, I'll be pissed! I hate when they pull those heart strings on the innocent animals! Kill people off all day long, but stay away from the pets!
  • oXYnary
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    it's not that will smith CANT act.. i know he can and does it great..

it's that he is given/takes roles that are all the same.. Wild Wild West, I Robot, Men In Black, Independence Day.. same character, different settings. pretty solid bet that if you go to see him in an action movie then it will be the same young cool angry smartass character with just enough background info that he wont be completely 1-dimenstional..
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    He actually has had some other roles... those are just the ones you've watched wink.gif
    One of the first movies he did was Six Degrees of Seperation, where he played a gay con artist.
    In 'Pursuit of Happyness" he played a dad down on his luck and living out of homeless shelters.
    He hasn't gotten that Denzel feeling about him yet (IMO).

That being said... this movie looks damn good so far smile.gif
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Ever see the Vincent Price version?

Not read the book? Shame! I saw something a few months back that claimed that only 1 in 4 people read a book in the last year.

Oh, and my edit: Go and read Starship Troopers and try to forget the film version existed.
  • Vitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    Never read the book, and actually the trailer looks fun.

Isn't that wire on his leg that 2.23 suposed to be there really? like some trap or so...
  • Hito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    I'm skeptical of the premise
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    The book was great, the Vincent Price version was a snooze fest and Omega Man is memorable for Heston's usual over-acting.
  • Jay Evans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jay Evans polycounter lvl 18
    vitor:
    ya could be, I just get all nerdy about picking out movie screwups, its like a hobby or something. haha

Does the book share the same title? Who wrote it? Looks like I'll have to check it out.
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    I am Legend by Richard Matheson.

about your average family man, Robert Neville, whose life is turned upside down when a strange dust starts appearing in his suburban town. the dust seems to turn everyone into vampire like creatures. Robert soon becomes the only normal person left in his area. he struggles to survive and eventually starts to research how best to kill vampires.

the movie has Robert as a military research scientist in New York City looking for a cure and teaming with military soldiers to kill vampires. or in other words it's 28 Days Later with vampires instead of zombies.

I am Legend in name only. tongue.gif
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    //POSSIBLE SPOILERS! OMG//

the best part about the story, though, is that after he becomes a badass vampire killer he discovers that they're not mindless or anything, and that they've come to fear this monster that stalks them during the day. he himself has become the monster preying on them in their weakest hour, he's become a legend to them.

the movie, so far, looks like a typical survival horror action film. bah!

//END SPOILERS! ALERT ALERT//
  • Tiax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

Oh, and my edit: Go and read Starship Troopers and try to forget the film version existed.

[/ QUOTE ]

actually i loved starship troopers when i watched. it has its style , wierd , kinda funny but i liked it. also i was in love with dizzy (dina meyer) so my thoughts were biased :P

btw , is "i'm legend" popular&well known in usa or europe? just curiosity.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome!

I really like Will Smith.

I haven't seen those other movies or read the books, so I'm sure I'll be in for surprises.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah I am in the same boat. I have never read the books or seen the other movies and I just like the whole post-apoc last man type theme and honestly I think Will Smith is incredibly talented. Yeah some of his roles can be kinda comedic at times but The Pursuit of Happiness was awesome. He really blew that part away.

Either way I am looking forward to this flick.
  • Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    I Am Legend is one of my favorite books and Matheson is one of my favorite writers. I'm a bit nervous to see this go into movie form, Will Smith or not, but I'm sure I'll see it.

Agreed about Starship Troopers too, the book is completely different. I actually like the movie, but it's just not a good adaptation of the book.

BTW, anyone see 30 Days of Night yet?
  • J Randall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J Randall polycounter lvl 15
    http://www.worstpreviews.com/review.php?id=568
    This site is really informative with all the trailers and movie posters, kinda spoiler-ish the overview.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably not, it doesn't have "Harry" or "Potter" in the title.
  • Austin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It gives me that inspirational tingle thing, but I guess it's supposed to with the music and such. Looks cool though, hopefully it follows the book well.
  • Tiax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably not, it doesn't have "Harry" or "Potter" in the title.

[/ QUOTE ]
    srry for offtopic but
    i cant even imagine ; by 50-60 year from now , ppls will forget dostoyevski , goethe etc and say harry potter is the best piece of world literature... prob i'll be old or maybe death till that time . and yea i'm a "hater" smile.gif
  • danpants
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danpants polycounter lvl 14
    Its another Independence, I-Robot, and Will Smith action hero. Even the dog is in this one again. I am still waiting for Mad Max, speaking of Apoc type movies.
  • HarlequiN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HarlequiN polycounter lvl 18
    I'm looking forward to it. Doesn't mean it'll be good, but it has the potential to be.

I loved the book, but I'm not looking for this to be too much like it, if it's like it at all. I long ago gave up hoping that Hollywood would make faithful adaptions of... well, of anything really. The most you can hope for is that they get the feel, or the tone, of a property right. Quite often they fail to even do that. I'm usually happier if they make a great film that's nothing like the book, rather than a crap film that's almost the same. At least I get to see a good film.

As for Will Smith, I can take him or leave him pretty much, but I don't know where you guys are getting the idea that this is the sae old wise cracking action Will we've seen before. I didn't see any wise in the trailer, and I suspect if there was any they'd be hitting us over the head with it in an effort to get the Wise Crack Will fans into the theatre.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]

srry for offtopic but
    i cant even imagine ; by 50-60 year from now , ppls will forget dostoyevski , goethe etc and say harry potter is the best piece of world literature...

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably not. Harry Potter will be remembered as a great story and a huge piece of popular culture, but the quality of the literature isn't anything worth noting, I doubt everyone will forget how to judge good writing just because HP was enjoyable and popular.
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    SPOILER:

At one point in the movie Will Smith will be running.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Ok... but that's like saying "at some point Tom Cruise will be running" for any of his flicks. Action films tend to do that ;P
  • Tiax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Probably not. Harry Potter will be remembered as a great story and a huge piece of popular culture, but the quality of the literature isn't anything worth noting, I doubt everyone will forget how to judge good writing just because HP was enjoyable and popular.

[/ QUOTE ]

its not like , they'll read both , "crime&punishment" and "harry potter" then say harry is better. Reading such novells take time so peoples go lazy about it.
    Ask any person around you , i can nearly guarantee you that they'll claim they know "dracula" , "The Three Musketeers" , "Don Quichotte" etc. not because they read it but only because they heard a little about it , they saw a cartoon on it bla bla bla. Peoples are still reading&respecting novels like "crime&punishment" but they'll day will come to become "well-known" and not readed... peoples dont know anything about the quality of those books ; dracula is just a vampire sucking people , three musketeers are angry guys with firearms , Don Quichotte is a kid story for them.

and in those days novels like harry potter will get far more respect than its quality , because its "recent" and "best-seller" smile.gif

"SPOILER:
    At one point in the movie Will Smith will be running."
    i had a giant lol at this laugh.gif:D
  • HarlequiN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HarlequiN polycounter lvl 18
    I asked myself... have to admit I've never read Don Quichotte, but I have read the other two. Never bothered with Crime & Punishement, but I wouldn't watch anything based on it either - not my bag baby.

Asked the wife, she'd read all of them.

Harry Potter was great up until book 4, and then it was a snoose fest I trudged through just to see how it all turned out. Not particularly well as it happened.

Take that Karl Marx! smile.gif

Asked my son too, he said "bahbahbah", so I guess not.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    finished reading "i am legend" last nite pretty good book, quick read. read it pretty much over a weekend. few hours here, few hours there. the end was a disapointment to me.

i don't see how you could make a good movie out of it without making a lot of changes, 95% of the book was one man alone with zero dialogue. so unless it was narated with what he was thinking (which is usualy cheasy) no one would have any idea what was going on.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Peoples are still reading&respecting novels like "crime&punishment" but they'll day will come to become "well-known" and not readed... peoples dont know anything about the quality of those books

[/ QUOTE ]
    This is are hurteds mine eyes to readed...
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    would you go as far as to say it is not well-read?
  • Tiax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Peoples are still reading&respecting novels like "crime&punishment" but they'll day will come to become "well-known" and not readed... peoples dont know anything about the quality of those books

[/ QUOTE ]
    This is are hurteds mine eyes to readed...

[/ QUOTE ]
    hehe thats what happens when i post at 4-5am . it should be hilarious to see a guy talking about quality in literature and posting that eh? yea my english sux :S i'll prob use hieroglyph next time

harlequin - actually i was talking about high school&uni youth when i posted that , not artists posting here. hehe anyway , i'm already ashamed of my english so i better quit this literature talk :P hmm noww where's my grammer book ...
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Grammar.

Fucking take that.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    Will Smith rocks.

Have none of you seen the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air?

You haven't lived until you've seen every episode.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Grammar.

Fucking take that.

[/ QUOTE ]
    HAHAHAHAHA!
    I have nothing else to add to this discussion.

-caseyjones