Home General Discussion

Book:3D Game Textures:Luke Ahearn<-worth it?

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
kiril0t polycounter lvl 12
Hey, i figure some of you might have this. So Im asking if its worth it, jsut a general consencus so its not just sitting on the shelf if i get it.

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    You mean, This one? My AD picked it up for our library at work, I checked it out and read half way though it, and skimmed the rest. Judging by your portfolio you know most of its "secrets" also. There isn't much in there that is ground breaking, most of it is common sense and widely available to everyone with an internet browser. If you can find it at a really good price say $5.00 or less then I say pick it up have a read and get back to making art.

I'll hit on the highlights I remember if they are new to you it might be worth more than $5.00.
    - Work in tiles.
    - Use the lens correction filters to remove image distortion.
    - Layering your PSD's
    - Organizing, sizing and naming your ref and material libraries.
    - Lighting.
    - Basic animated textures and sprites.
  • Fordy
    Offline / Send Message
    Fordy polycounter lvl 18
    It's good book if you are wanting to learn how to create textures and really don't want to have to search the net for loads of tuts.

There also a bit of theory in there too.

Oh, and I get a mention on the inside cover but I'm not biased, honest! wink.gif
  • kiril0t
    Offline / Send Message
    kiril0t polycounter lvl 12
    ha, yeah thanks, i didnt think to search G-books blush.gif, i was just making plans to cruize by the local Borders and check it out.