Home General Discussion

30 Days of Night.

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
ebagg polycounter lvl 17
Anyone see this movie?

I caught it last night, and enjoyed it quite a bit. The movie is well paced, and throws in some very nice stylized shots. It is certainly a unique take on the vampire subject, and the small town in Alaska setting has plenty of atmosphere.

Replies

• skrubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skrubbles polycounter lvl 18
    I saw it last night and really liked. I have the graphic novel but have yet to read it. From what my friends have told me, it follows the book very closely. One shot I really liked was the top-down view of people running all over the place, blood splotches in the snow, and a guy running around shooting his shotgun.

SPOILERS

I also liked the shot right after Eben chops off the head of the first 'turned' townsman... the one where we see the swings and the guy just dangling in the chains. I also liked the realistic special fx of Eben chopping off his friends head at the end... even my GF thought that kicked ass.

My only complaint is that the movie didn't feel like 30 days went by. It only felt like they were in hiding/surviving for a few days. I'm not saying that the movie should have been longer, but maybe edited a bit better. They should have shown Eben and gang struggling to survive in the attack... more fighting and close calls... they had canned food but I don't think we ever saw them eat. Since the backdrop is nighttime for 30 days they should have utilized some of those techniques to show the passage of time.

Not a BIG deal though... I still really enjoyed the movie.

/SPOILERS
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    visually I liked it, but just little things bothered me like

SPOILERS

At the end when eben injected himself with the vamp. blood. I like cheezy, but the whole "Gotta become one of them to fight them" is sorta boring. I'd rather see the grit or dumb luck the heroes use to kill the bad guys in like predator or aliens films.

I guess I should check out the graphic novel, because I'm not so clear on why there were a band of vampires in alaska. I mean, come on... if I had to live on blood, the last place I would go is to the region of the world with the lowest pop. per square mile.

But like I said, the shots look nice and did a good job at setting an eerie mood. And I agree with skrubbles, it didn't feel like they were there for 30 days. felt like a couple nights and a few spray on beards. <font color="red"> </font> <font color="red"> </font>
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    i bought the graphic novel several years ago.. didnt seem like much to base a movie on or how popular it seems to have gotten:

group of young upstart vamps go to this isolated town where it stays night for a month so that they can party and pillage all the time. old vamp calls them dumbasses and fools.

without the catchy stylized art i doubt i would have liked it much.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    I really enjoyed this flick.

Ever since I was a kid, I always wondered why Vampires didnt hang out in the polar regions more often.
    A: No sunlight for large periods of time
    B: Isolation from authorities
    C: Your dead. I wouldn't think the cold bothers you.

Successfully managed to terrify me in bits. VERY gory. I agree with the critique that the passage of time wasn't as apparent as it could have been. A few timelapse shots of the moon rising & setting would have resolved that.

Also cool because I just spent 2 weeks up in Alaska during the opposite time, and the sun never fully set, which was weird.

Definate DVD purchase for me.
  • nacire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nacire polycounter lvl 17
    I really had my interest peaked by the trailers. You guys have sealed it for me, I'm going to see it!

I was just up in Alaska for a week this past May. Yeah the sun never fully setting was a bit whacked and tough to get used to.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    best horror movie I've seen in a long time
  • greenj2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good to hear you guys enjoyed it, I read the comic a while ago and was pretty disappointed. Art was cool, story was cool but the overall pace of it felt really disjointed and rushed, especially towards the end.

I read somewhere release in Australia is November 8th, so I'll go knit a few sweaters until then... frown.gif
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    I caught Josh Hartnett on Conan last night as well, I guess the whole thing was filmed in New Zealand! Damn does that country have every type of terrain!?
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    SUCH a good movie. Wonderfully done. There were a few silly bits, but overall I loved it.

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

I never thought josh hartnett could play anything other than clumsy college kid. I really loved the emotion in his face at the end when he's burning up.

also, they CHOPPED THE HEAD OFF OF A FIVE YEAR OLD GIRL. WIN
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Damn does that country have every type of terrain!?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, pretty much smile.gif Aside from lacking a true desert, it's like the Disney World of terrain. You drive 25k in any direction and you're likely to come across some very different looking vegetation... highly recommended if you ever have chance to see those lovely little islands in the south Pacific smile.gif
  • snemmy
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    perhaps a more balanced take, especially for the kind of movie fans on these boards:

http://www.avclub.com/content/cinema/30_days_of_night
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    I definitely agree with the review gauss posted, the film lacking the conflict among the vampires is certainly a dissappointment.