Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Haruno Sakura Wip

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Slipstream polycounter lvl 19
Greetz!
Been working on this for over a month now for Game Artisan's Naruto contest.
I'm in the final stretch, with the texturing just about done and rigging and posing left ahead of me, so any critique's and suggestions on this piece would be awesome. I'll do my best to work them out before this weekend.

Wip thread: http://www.gameartisans.org/forums/showthread.php?t=707
sakuraModel014.jpg

4650 polygons

Thanks!

Replies

• PeterK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    I don't watch the show, but your model is pretty nice. Cheers.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    She's moved rather a long way from her original design. I do like your design and model, but she's not really recognisable. I wonder whether you would have been better to keep a more similar haircut, or failing that perhaps just the peachy coloured hair.

Its a nice piece of work though regardless.
  • Darksun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darksun polycounter lvl 18
    It's an interesting model, but definitely unrecognizable.

I'm not quite sure how I feel about the SD hands and weather they fit or not. I'm kind of on the fence between working and stylized for stylized sake.

In what ways did you want this to represent Sakura? It is a young girl with pink hair, but were there other things you wanted to translate over?
  • Slipstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @PeterK: Thanks dude!
    @Jackablade: Thanks man; I was thinking about going over the hair again; though I fear that completely redoing it may push me past the deadline. I'll save that for last so I have time for overall tweaking between now and saturday frown.gif
    I'm playing around with the colors now, and will definitely alter her hair hues to see if that brings her closer to the original design. Though I'll still be trying some kind of color gradation
    @Darksun: Thanks! I was originally trying to bring over the main colors of her design, and something reminescent of her Shipuuden outfit (particularly with her clothes placement), though I agree many of my choices eventually led me astray from that. Like the addition of green. And the goggles =P
    As for the proportions, especially the hands, that was deliberate to emphasize her brawler attributes; its kinda something I want to keep for better or worse, although I'd also like to make a more normal sized hand inside of the glove in one of the final renders, to display her healing abilities.

I added an AO pass, which should help the textures overall; I'll post progress when I've made the adjustments from here too
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    Whatever you do, don't forget to include the Leaf Village emblem somewhere. On your concept sheet you have it on her fists but its not showing anywhere on your model/texture yet.
  • Darksun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm. I think as a character it visually works great! As Sakura, I'm not feeling "ninja" or "healer" at all. (she tended to be more academic about her combat, setting traps and using chakra efficiently, not so much a brawler)
    My instant impression was "platform adventure" "hover bike game" feel, which works really well.
  • Slipstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Illusions: Its on her head . . . which is barely visible. I've corrected that some here, but I don't think its quite prominent enough yet, so I'll think about adding something more with the leaf symbol on it.

@Darksun: =O You have not had the pleasure of watching her fight Sasori then grin.gif
    I understand why she's not feeling like a ninja. I've gotten rid of the goggles to help reduce the hover biker impression. And I'll see what else I can do within the time left. Worst comes to it, I'll rely on her final renders and poses to convey Sakura as best as possible

Also, now that I think about it, something like a zipper needs to be added to the back of her boots

sakuraModel016.jpg
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hm, its a tricky one. I'd suggest changing the yellow markings on the dress to white ones that match the character and adding some white piping the the edges of the vest. Her blue sandles are quite distinctive. you might do well to rip the steel caps off the boots and show her toes.
    You might want to try and accentuate the metal plate she has on the top of her headband too.
  • Darksun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heh, I've read everything up to about a month ago, I didn't really get a the brawler impression from the Sasori fight.

It a difficult choice you have to make because the character works well by itself, but not so great as Sakura. Changing it one way removes the charm, but improves the accuracy. hmm.
  • Slipstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Jackablade: Took some of what you said to heart. I was thinking about changing the boots too, but I really like them. Headband's visible, though not attached to her head.
    After I'm done with posing, and making a base, if I have time I'll come back and see if I can add more white to the vest

@Darksun: The fight's a little bit different in the anime, and that's kind the impression I pulled out of it.

Anyways,
    sakuraModel018.jpg
    Sized down the hands, replaced the gold with white, and got rid of the green in the hair. The goggles rest atop the head now too.

Also, I have for the other kind and knowledgeable people who may stumble upon this thread.

I've been using Ben Cloward's HLSL shader to view my textures and take screengrabs; and it works great for the viewport, but apparently it can't render, and I can't help but feel as if I'm doing something wrong because that doesn't seem like it makes sense.
    Is there some way to fix it so I can use scanline or mental ray to render this thing out? Or is that impossible?
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That white actually helps a surprising amount. It really would be worth squeezing in time to add a white trim to the best. I think it'd make all the difference.
  • Slipstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You were right grin.gif

Thank you all so much; you guys really helped me see alot of the things I was screwing up, and pushed me to make this as good as I can.
    Done, and submitted
    WinningPose.jpg
    beautyFinal.jpg
    WiresFinal.jpg
    textureFinals.jpg
    ConceptFinal.jpg
    There are few things I'd like to touch up after I've taken a break from this; but I've broken my own limit with this. I'm happy smile.gif
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    This character is very unique... and cool smile.gif Nice job.